This morning DACS payment for 2019 popped up into my sales account as a welcome relief in this dramatic year. I remember last year, separately and just a few hours later in the same day, I received the DACS additional German payment for 2019 also. Not this year. At least, so far. Is the German payment already included under the voice DACS payment I had in my account this morning or it will arrive later? Anyone who received it already (the German DACS I mean).

Stefano

My Alamy DACs payment arrived this morning, highest by far than I have ever previously received - very happy bunny 🙂

Can there by some mistake, have I been confused for another contributor, how many Bryans are there on Alamy ?

Last year it appeared as two separate lots. Don't want to appear greedy, but another dollop would be nice.

Perhaps it should be pointed out that this thread is for Alamy DACS claims- the rest of us got our full payments three weeks ago.

From an email in June from DACS

"We are now asking you to provide us with information regarding your work published in books in Germany, in German language in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 if you didn’t claim last year. If you did, just list your books published in 2019."

So as I understand it, unless you had new books published in Germany in 2019 there's no payment. It was a one-off, not on a continuing basis as DACS is.

I was frustrated to see my direct DACS had fallen from nearly £2k to only £354 - inexplicable when Richard K's figure had moved from around £200 to over £700, and my late wife Shirley's legacy DACS (it does continue for ever) had fallen from over £300 to £270.
But today Alamy dropped $543 Other payment with no deduction into my sales - which I believe will be DACS. That's up from $179 last year. It's not a compensation for a loss of rather vital residual income in retirement, but indicates something significant has changed in the way the Copyright Licensing Agency handles direct claims and Alamy. My Alamy account includes Shirley's work.
Edited by David Kilpatrick
clarification

Does a DACS payment show up in my sales report as just "other income". No name or other information. If it is from my small port that's a very nice sizeable payment thank you very much.

Edited by aphperspective
edit

4 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

Mine around 40% higher than last year. Don't know whether this is due to the included German payment. Logic says it might be.

Last year the German payment appeared around 10 days after the DACS payment /on 4th of November/...

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

3 hours ago, David Kilpatrick said:
I was frustrated to see my direct DACS had fallen from nearly £2k to only £354 - inexplicable when Richard K's figure had moved from around £200 to over £700, and my late wife Shirley's legacy DACS (it does continue for ever) had fallen from over £300 to £270.
But today Alamy dropped $543 Other payment with no deduction into my sales - which I believe will be DACS. That's up from $179 last year. It's not a compensation for a loss of rather vital residual income in retirement, but indicates something significant has changed in the way the Copyright Licensing Agency handles direct claims and Alamy. My Alamy account includes Shirley's work.

David, That does not mean that Alamy have not made a deduction. They just haven't told you what that deduction is. As I understand it they take an undisclosed administration fee and then 50% of the rest. I do not understand why they don't report this in the same way as other commission. It is misleading.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Lower $$$. Up close to 30%. I didn’t expect a payout for this month. I assume I’ll get one, now. Saved by the bell. Umm...DACS.

I don't remember saving you Betty but you are welcome anyway.🙃

Allan (Bell)

• Love 1

10 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

That would reveal how much more than 50% they are deducting, which might not be well received?

Mark

However, in the one year when I inadvertently claimed both myself and through Alamy, the Alamy payment was substantially more.

Fear not, I refunded DACs my claim.

10 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

That would reveal how much more than 50% they are deducting, which might not be well received?

Mark

DACS is there to reward image creators. Alamy now claims on behalf on the majority of its contributors as a result of a revised contract.

I don't think that it is too much to expect that we are told what DACS have actually paid to each creator and the true amount that Alamy has taken as their share.

Why would they want to keep this secret? Transparency is best. If there is nothing to hide then why hide it? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

However, in the one year when I inadvertently claimed both myself and through Alamy, the Alamy payment was substantially more.

Fear not, I refunded DACs my claim.

Yes because they have the ISBN information and don't share it with us.

I still don't see why we can't be told the true situation about how much DACS has paid to each of us for secondary rights and how much Alamy is keeping for themselves. 

If this amount does not appear in our statements of accounts where does it go - thin air? It gives the impression that the deduction is zero when that is not true.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2

I think there's a legal issue with locking contributors into using Alamy to claim for DACS and then refusing to end this when it results like this. It's important for me to claim DACS directly for non-Alamy sales. I do not see how they can possibly have a right, or a claim, to any of that. I have a clear 25 years of ISSN/ISBN non-Alamy history before joining Alamy, and this still counts for DACS. I have a good 15 years of regular non-Alamy uses after joining Alamy and again, these have nothing to do with Alamy. I'm very happy for them to claim for all the book and magazine sales they've ever made for me, as I can not track these or list them (I can find a few with research, and I intend to remove those from my own claim in future). I just don't want Alamy's claim somehow reducing my company/personal one. Rex Features also collect DACS for the few images I have left with them over the last 30 years. It's a small sum and it has no effect on my own claim.

4 minutes ago, David Kilpatrick said:

It's important for me to claim DACS directly for non-Alamy sales. I do not see how they can possibly have a right, or a claim, to any of that. I have a clear 25 years of ISSN/ISBN non-Alamy history.....

There's nothing stopping you from doing that. Alamy will only claim for your sales licenced through the agency