September 2020 favourite uploads

spacecadet

Back in the game.

OH enjoying a Christmas present* last month.........first time away since you know what

2CEF9XM.jpg

Something rather nice our cousins bought..............

2CEDK4D.jpg

Saltaire, Leeds & Liverpool canal

2CEFA4W.jpg

Sculpture on the River Aire

2CEFA43.jpg

*Just the day's drive. Not the whole car.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Illustration of the multiverse as predicted by quantum mechanics, using the scripted random fill option and a few other things, in photoshop. With covid-19 I have had the time to do some experimenting.

Circumpolar Arctic horizontal view

many-worlds-globes-earths-parallel-world

Australasian vertical view.

many-worlds-globes-earths-parallel-world

• Like 2

Enjoying my new 100-400 lens. Mostly from my balcony, but I'm going to try to take it out soon! Also enjoying exploring the same subject in different lighting:

churchill-place-a-high-rise-apartment-bu

a-moody-aerial-view-of-churchill-place-a

churchill-place-a-high-rise-apartment-bu

churchill-place-at-night-a-high-rise-apa

This looked pretty cool with the last rays of the sun too:

skyline-plaza-and-crown-heights-illumina

• Love 2

10 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Your image reminds me of a story last year about a pigeon nesting at the Australian War Memorial. She nested on top of the spikes like those in your image used to deter birds from nesting, on the sill of a stained-glass window. She made her nest out of the red poppies used symbolically to remember soldiers on Remembrance Day, taking the poppies from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier to build the nest. It was a really nice story about life and death in a way, and also evidence that pigeons are not easily deterred! This is the story if it's of interest:

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog/pigeons-at-war

Thanks for sharing this interesting story, Sally. Pigeons are certainly survivors, and not easily deterred, but we tend to forget how important they have been in wartime. It's a shame they're so widely disliked. The pigeon using remembrance poppies for her nest is really poignant.

4 hours ago, Sally R said:

This is a really powerful image Michael. It really conveys a vulnerability that reminds us of the human beings putting themselves on the line to help and care for others in this time of Covid-19. There's a real connect through the eyes. It's a really empathic image. Almost made me cry. 

Thank you Sally! I think the magazine has received a fair amount of good response.  They were worried about having a face on the cover and only seeing eyes.

I had a number of plant and insect photos, plus some others, that I'd taken in 2006 with a Nikon D50, and wasn't sure they exported at a large enough size, so checked in Photoshop and the smallest was just over the minimum required at uncompressed size, so I uploaded 20 of them.   They're my favorites because of the associations and that I could get D50 shots through Quality Control.   These are Stella de Oro daylilies growing in my East Falls walled garden. 

2CGEMBE.jpg

Taken from the roof of my building on the day the sun did not rise in the San Francisco Bay Area.

September 9, 2019. San Francisco Bay Area has a bizarre orange sky from wildfire smoke from out of control Oregon and California wildfires. Stock Photo

It was hard to capture the color of the sky, but I think this is pretty accurate because the camera was color balanced for the white light.

September 9, 2019. Bay Area climate change apocalypse. Orange sky produced by massive smoke from wildfires. Stock Photo

Ash fallen on the rooftop furniture from multiple forest fires in Oregon and California.

September 9, 2019. San Francisco Bay Area has a bizarre orange sky from wildfire smoke from out of control Oregon and California wildfires. Stock Photo
  • Love 2

Recent Extinction Rebellion Parliament Square protest images.

westminster-london-uk-1st-september-2020-rebellion-extinction-london-protest-first-of-10-days-of-planned-climate-change-actions-earlier-xr-protestors-had-marched-with-placards-and-banners-from-trafalgar-square-and-occupied-parliament-square-and-the-roads-encircling-it-protestors-were-calling-on-parliament-to-back-the-climate-and-ecological-emergency-bill-cee-bill-as-time-progressed-the-metropolitan-police-made-arrests-clearing-the-area-in-front-of-parliament-and-some-protesters-started-to-leave-multiple-protests-were-planned-to-take-place-around-the-uk-credit-stephen-bellalamy-2CFKNA4.jpg

westminster-london-uk-1st-september-2020-rebellion-extinction-london-protest-first-of-10-days-of-planned-climate-change-actions-earlier-xr-protestors-had-marched-with-placards-and-banners-from-trafalgar-square-and-occupied-parliament-square-and-the-roads-encircling-it-protestors-were-calling-on-parliament-to-back-the-climate-and-ecological-emergency-bill-cee-bill-as-time-progressed-the-metropolitan-police-made-arrests-clearing-the-area-in-front-of-parliament-and-some-protesters-started-to-leave-multiple-protests-were-planned-to-take-place-around-the-uk-credit-stephen-bellalamy-2CFKNBJ.jpg

Edit: The image above was the only one shot with my RX100M7. I was leaving and had packed my Nikon's into my backpack, just keeping the RX100 in my hand incase I came across anything interesting.

westminster-london-uk-1st-september-2020-rebellion-extinction-london-protest-first-of-10-days-of-planned-climate-change-actions-earlier-xr-protestors-had-marched-with-placards-and-banners-from-trafalgar-square-and-occupied-parliament-square-and-the-roads-encircling-it-protestors-were-calling-on-parliament-to-back-the-climate-and-ecological-emergency-bill-cee-bill-as-time-progressed-the-metropolitan-police-made-arrests-clearing-the-area-in-front-of-parliament-and-some-protesters-started-to-leave-multiple-protests-were-planned-to-take-place-around-the-uk-credit-stephen-bellalamy-2CFKNC0.jpg

Animal justice Project protest at Berryfields Farm. A recent 5 month undercover operation had exposed extensive cattle abuse at the AFU. 

Below a protester is emotionally affected when viewing cattle scheduled for slaughter.

daventry-uk-5th-september-2020-the-protest-organised-by-the-animal-justice-project-called-for-the-closure-of-berryfields-an-approved-finishing-unit-abbreviated-to-afu-an-afu-is-a-facility-for-the-fattening-andor-finishing-of-cattle-prior-to-slaughter-the-animal-justice-project-previously-conducted-a-5-month-undercover-investigation-of-animal-welfare-conditions-at-berryfields-video-taken-showed-serous-mistreatment-of-cattle-that-lead-to-2-major-users-of-beef-from-berryfields-suspending-their-contracts-and-withdrawal-of-their-red-tractor-assurance-credit-stephen-bellalamy-2CFK4TJ.jpg

Berryfields protest on the A45 adjacent to their private access road.

daventry-uk-5th-september-2020-the-protest-organised-by-the-animal-justice-project-called-for-the-closure-of-berryfields-an-approved-finishing-unit-abbreviated-to-afu-an-afu-is-a-facility-for-the-fattening-andor-finishing-of-cattle-prior-to-slaughter-the-animal-justice-project-previously-conducted-a-5-month-undercover-investigation-of-animal-welfare-conditions-at-berryfields-video-taken-showed-serous-mistreatment-of-cattle-that-lead-to-2-major-users-of-beef-from-berryfields-suspending-their-contracts-and-withdrawal-of-their-red-tractor-assurance-credit-stephen-bellalamy-2CFK4HX.jpg

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 2

Barry Island in South Wales. Got a reputation, similar to many other seaside resorts of course, for being a bit tacky - amusement arcades, fish and chips, gift shops, etc, to say nothing of Gavin and Stacey, but there's also a calmer, more serene side if you catch it at the right time.

2CFRXR6.jpg

9 hours ago, Sally R said:

Amazing images Kristin. It must be incredibly surreal right now. It looks just like the images from eastern Australia from late last year and early this year. People will be wearing masks for more than one reason now. I have a cousin in Portland, Oregon so hoping he is doing ok. Keep safe and take care.

Thank you. It has been immensely oppressive and yes, we are now wearing two masks layered on top of each other. The poisoned air persists. I look forward to a time when we are not afraid of breathing and can go outside and enjoy direct sunlight. Be grateful for what you have.

2 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Thank you. It has been immensely oppressive and yes, we are now wearing two masks layered on top of each other. The poisoned air persists. I look forward to a time when we are not afraid of breathing and can go outside and enjoy direct sunlight. Be grateful for what you have.

Yesterday Our TV weather forecast showed satellite imagery explaining that we had some of that smoke all the way over here in Europe in the upper part of the atmosphere.

That's 8,800km / 5,500 miles. It's a small planet.

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Yesterday Our TV weather forecast showed satellite imagery explaining that we had some of that smoke all the way over here in Europe in the upper part of the atmosphere.

That's 8,800km / 5,500 miles. It's a small planet.

wim

I believe it.

Wildlife of Arnhem Land

Wild Water Buffaloes

2CN4X3H.jpg

Wild Donkeys

2CN52K3.jpg

Wedge-tailed Eagle (Aquila audax)

2CN4AA7.jpg

Blue-faced honeyeater (Entomyzon cyanotis)

2CN4YEN.jpg

Blue-faced honeyeater (Entomyzon cyanotis)

2CN50ED.jpg

• Love 3