September 2020 favourite uploads

spacecadet

As I was just walking by, saw this and thought I'd snap the bride getting out the car.

The car is a Morgan. A Plus 4 I think. Anyone elaborate ?

Bride & groom arrive at the church of San Salvatore di Ognissanti in a Morgan sports car. Florence, Tuscany, Italy. Stock Photo

Bride & groom arrive at the church of San Salvatore di Ognissanti in a Morgan sports car. Florence, Tuscany, Italy.

• Love 1

Nothing except that the car is from Turin as you can see. But I wouldn't put it in the keywords. The same for the front of the church which has that big Della Robbia thing above the door. Firstly it's not in the picture and secondly nowadays they seem to think it's fake. Well wrongly ascribed.

Did they take pictures in the square?

wim

52 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Nothing except that the car is from Turin as you can see. But I wouldn't put it in the keywords. The same for the front of the church which has that big Della Robbia thing above the door. Firstly it's not in the picture and secondly nowadays they seem to think it's fake. Well wrongly ascribed.

Did they take pictures in the square?

wim

Hi Wim,

Thanks for the response.

All a bit of a damp squib . There was a market square opposite, which still had the stalls set up (but not all trading).

I was hoping for lots of cheer and movement and applause as the happy couple came out of the church. But no.

A bit of confetti was thrown, lots of people in a huddle. By this time the front of the church was in the shade too.

All I could photograph was the backs of people. The new Mr. & Mrs were hidden from me as they were standing in the doorway.

I found it all a bit underwhelming !

I hope they had a good day though.

Phil

1 hour ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Hi Wim,

Thanks for the response.

All a bit of a damp squib . There was a market square opposite, which still had the stalls set up (but not all trading).

I was hoping for lots of cheer and movement and applause as the happy couple came out of the church. But no.

A bit of confetti was thrown, lots of people in a huddle. By this time the front of the church was in the shade too.

All I could photograph was the backs of people. The new Mr. & Mrs were hidden from me as they were standing in the doorway.

I found it all a bit underwhelming !

I hope they had a good day though.

Phil

Yes I remember the nice little square between the church and the river I think. Sorry for the damp squib. 😁

The other week I failed to get a good shot of a couple going in and coming out with everybody wearing masks. They had a bit of confetti too plus a big Panamera, clearly their own. The setting was a lovely little village square with big plane trees. However absolutely filled with cars and no proper space to take pictures. Which could have been interesting in itself, but this time it wasn't. Next day in Trier again there was a wedding shoot (different couple), in front of the Porta Nigra, the main sight, where I had plenty of time and access, but produced zilch. I hope their own photographer and his 2! bumbling assistants fared a bit better. But somehow I doubt it. Those had a gun that blew soap bubbles. It would be empty by the time the photographer was ready to trip the shutter. Or the wind would blow the bubbles in the face of the assistant. I do have pictures of that. Pictures or it didn't happen, right?

wim

It's always a thrill to see the stunning Harlequin shrimp when diving. They tend to always hang onto their sea star food. This was one of a pair which appeared to moving out of their house/hole in the reef wall, because a large moray eel had taken up residence.

harlequin-shrimp-hymenocera-picta-with-its-sea-star-food-a-comet-sea-star-linckia-multifora-tulamben-bali-indonesia-bali-sea-indian-ocean-2CN5PDM.jpg

• Love 5

Did these on Saturday in the little studio upstairs over the kitchen with some help from Luis, my dog walker, house cleaner, and shopper.  He suggested the shots of the Nicaraguan terracotta items and got coffee to put in the little glass cup.   What can be done in the house with stuff I had wanted to photo under the flash and softbox.  The studio has white walls so light tends to bounce, but I did use a reflector on the other side of the table and also block some of the light coming from the bottom of the softbox. 

2CR10T2.jpg

Nicaraguan horchata cups and an moca set with glass demitasse and a coffee grinder. 

2CR10DE.jpg

Gardening tools against a rough wooden floor.   Left to right: trowel, Korean ho-mi hand plow, long handled forged trowel made in the UK, aluminum hand cultivator, and small flower pot stainless steel trowel.

2CR0Y6W.jpg

Comal and flower pot, both made of what Nicaraguans call "barro" which translates as "mud," though it's basically earthenware (terracotta) fired.  The comal is used for roasting seeds and cacao prior to grinding (traditionally on a metate) for drinks and for cooking tortillas.  The flower pot came from a cooperative called Tomatoya that grows vegetables and makes barro pottery for sale.  

• Like 1

lner-hitachi-azuma-express-passenger-tra

Decided that I needed to update my stock of train photos, since new rolling stock has been delivered recently. Stood by the lineside in lovely sunhsine for about an hour and watched the trains go by. Reminded me of a time more than 50 years ago when I used to watch the steam trains, a good deal more varied and interesting than what you see today! 1/1000 th of a second just about short enough to capture without noticeable blur. Should have taken some blurry shots I guess 🙃

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

On 05/09/2020 at 15:13, VbFolly said:

I quite like this angry-looking owl, which is failing to deter the pigeons!

pigeon-next-to-a-decoy-bird-of-prey-owl-deterrent-on-a-window-ledge-with-spikes-2CF3TM5.jpg

Haha, we bought one of those as we had a real problem with pigeon poo on our lawn. We move him every day or so  then the pigeons don’t get used to him. He often sits on a low swing so he moves a bit in the breeze . So far he has been really effective! We christened him Hector....

Edited by Thyrsis

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Haha, we bought one of those as we had a real problem with pigeon poo on our lawn. We move him every day or so  then the pigeons don’t get used to him. He often sits on a low swing so he moves a bit in the breeze . So far he has been really effective! We christened him Hector....

Hector the Inspector.....perhaps Vicious but Dim will hire him to patrol the High Street and stop us being too nice to each other with all that "mingling" malarkey......;)

Edited by spacecadet

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Hector the Inspector.....perhaps Vicious but Dim will hire him to patrol the High Street and stop us being too nice to each other with all that "mingling" malarkey......;)

Actually he was named after Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad! Something about his eyes reminded me of him! 

21 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Interesting that they do work in some cases! Doesn't Hector scare other garden birds away too?

Lincoln Cathedral looking along broadgate from pedestrian footbridge

lincoln-cathedral-looking-along-broadgate-from-pedestrian-footbridge-july-2020-2CEW29P.jpg

Lincoln Railway Station from Pelham bridge

lincoln-railway-station-from-pelham-bridge-july-2020-2CEW48K.jpg

Looking over river Witham from the Viking way towards Washingborough Lincolnshire

looking-over-river-withamfrom-the-viking-way-towards-washingborough-lincolnshire-june-2020-2CGJ9CJ.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 3

This in late spring. I gravitate to old farm houses and barns. I picture all of the living that has been done there. They contain decades of the past. Can you not see generations of children climbing out of one of those upstairs windows to sit on the porch roof and look at the stars? Or to drag out a pillow to sleep in cooler air on a hot summer night, pre-air conditioning? I can.

2CTJJTR.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 22/09/2020 at 08:01, Bryan said:

lner-hitachi-azuma-express-passenger-tra

Decided that I needed to update my stock of train photos, since new rolling stock has been delivered recently. Stood by the lineside in lovely sunhsine for about an hour and watched the trains go by. Reminded me of a time more than 50 years ago when I used to watch the steam trains, a good deal more varied and interesting than what you see today! 1/1000 th of a second just about short enough to capture without noticeable blur. Should have taken some blurry shots I guess 🙃

The last regular passenger steam train ran on the 11th August 1968 in Britain. Obviously not taking preserved railways into account.

Allan

On 24/09/2020 at 01:07, Betty LaRue said:

In a pot in front of my white painted brick courtyard wall. Perfect oof background with mottled whites. I love coneflowers.

2CGAA7G.jpg

I had one of those in my garden just a week ago before the landscapers started work. It used to attract Small Tortoiseshell butterflies (Aglais urticae). I do have photos of it and the butterflies but I think they are not yet on Alamy. The flower is (Echinacea purpurea), 

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

abstract-view-on-rows-of-grape-vines-in-

F11 1/80s 400mm

F6.3 1/200s 400mm

Playing with my new 100-400mm. I wanted to get some abstract shots of the vineyards around where I live. I waited until near sunset so the sun cast long shadows that really delineated the rows of vines. These were handheld - it's nice you can do that with an IS lens and body, although I might increase the ISO above 200 next time I'm shooting like this to try to get a faster shutter speed.

I was interested to note that only a single row of vines is in focus; there's a very narrow depth of field, it was almost like using a macro lens! I'm used to seeing images with long telephotos where you get e.g. a person standing in front of the London Eye, but on the opposite side of the Thames, and they look right next to each other - guess those are focus stacked.

Also had a go with split toning on the top picture.

Steve

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 2