September 2020 favourite uploads

spacecadet

Everyone is a photographer these days, like this industrial climber photographing the underside of a railway bridge for inspection purposes. 400 mm from a pedestrian bridge that parallels the railway bridge.

steeplejack-industrial-climber-using-rop

The sumacs have turned autumn colour in Toronto. This shot was taken with backlighting, which has a stained glass effect on translucent leaves.

staghorn-sumac-rhus-typhina-leaf-in-autu

• Love 4

On 26/09/2020 at 06:38, meanderingemu said:

The best of plans.

i had spotted potential of these protesters as they were about to walk in front of Parliament.  now it's more a funny shot.  (maybe i should add it to the Broken challenge)

protesters-in-front-of-canadian-parliament-with-letter-to-spell-canada-where-one-protester-drops-his-letters-on-pavement-part-of-protest-message-thro-2CTKH9R.jpg

I just realised that you are left with Nothing (nada) once the other guy drops his letter.  (which i should have seen way before, since i many times referred to where i am from  as Que? Nada!)

On 28/09/2020 at 09:34, Matt Ashmore said:

My wife bought me some extension tubes for my birthday so this was the result of my first 'play' with them:

close-up-of-a-small-fly-on-sedum-flowers-2CW3AMY.jpg

BTW... if anyone knows what kind of fly this is, please do let me know! 🙂

An annoying, buzzy f**ker?

This made the front page of the local rag, taken with my new 200-500.
2cwcnp5.jpg

An organised shoot, made the picture diary of the local rag.
schull-west-cork-ireland-18th-sep-2020-on-a-warm-and-sunny-day-in-west-cork-gretta-omahony-from-bantry-rides-bob-in-the-sea-at-schull-the-day-will-be-mostly-dry-with-top-temps-of-16-to-21c-credit-ag-newsalamy-live-news-2CNFK2Y.jpg

Irish PM (Taoiseach) in Clonakilty, made the Irish Times.
clonakilty-west-cork-ireland-11th-sep-2020-an-taoiseach-michel-martin-visited-the-office-of-party-colleague-and-new-td-christopher-osullivan-this-afternoon-in-ashe-street-clonakilty-schoolboys-ben-reilly-harold-paulino-and-adam-kelly-from-clonakilty-community-college-persuaded-the-taoiseach-to-make-a-video-explaining-to-their-teacher-why-they-were-going-to-be-late-back-to-school-credit-ag-newsalamy-live-news-2CGHKFP.jpg
Edited by Colblimp
Too much space, man...
  • Love 2

On 27/09/2020 at 11:44, Steve F said:

abstract-view-on-rows-of-grape-vines-in-

F11 1/80s 400mm

F6.3 1/200s 400mm

Playing with my new 100-400mm.

I was going to say are you using a 100-400 given you're an E mount user. I recently got the 70-400 being an A mount hold out and I've yet to field test it with the weather being so miserable, fingers crossed it stays OK tonight. Though I have in body IS I still find I need a decent shutter speed to keep the image perfectly still, perhaps my hands are not as stable as they once were.

20 minutes ago, Cal said:

I was going to say are you using a 100-400 given you're an E mount user. I recently got the 70-400 being an A mount hold out and I've yet to field test it with the weather being so miserable, fingers crossed it stays OK tonight. Though I have in body IS I still find I need a decent shutter speed to keep the image perfectly still, perhaps my hands are not as stable as they once were.

I was leaning against a fence and holding my breath... 🤦‍♂️ I think I would increase the ISO next time; I was on the limit of being able to get sharp images.

Good luck, I have enjoyed the shots I've got, but you need a certain type of subject unless you just use the 100 end, which seems a bit pointless as you've probably got that covered with your other lenses.

2 hours ago, Steve F said:

I was leaning against a fence and holding my breath... 🤦‍♂️ I think I would increase the ISO next time; I was on the limit of being able to get sharp images.

Good luck, I have enjoyed the shots I've got, but you need a certain type of subject unless you just use the 100 end, which seems a bit pointless as you've probably got that covered with your other lenses.

Leaning on something and holding your breath is a perfectly valid way to steady a shot though I usually run out of other options first like increasing my ISO.

I've got really into birding lately (I never thought I would to be honest) and while I've "made do" with a Tamron 70-300 that weighs as much as a packet of crisps I found it necessary to upgrade. The problem with the Tammy is while it's a nifty little thing and surprisingly sharp at F/11, you /must/ use it at F/11 to get a sharp image. Any lower OR higher and quality suffers. With "last year's" ISO performance on my kit that constrained me to sunny days only, which for birding is actually less than ideal.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/2CT40MX/rome-italy-2CT40MX.jpg

Rome EUR district, Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana, now HQ of luxury fashion label Fendi. Originally meant for Mussolini's 1942 World Fair, that somehow didn't take place.

wim

• Love 3