Betty LaRue

Post a beautiful nature picture

Posted (edited)

rufous-hummingbird-selasphorus-rufus-fro

Edited by Shergar
  • Like 1

Don't let anyone tell you you're not handsome...

2CDMY8C.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

One of the recent Monarch butterflies that hatched feeding on Joe-Pye weed in our garden.

Not nearly as many as last year.

2CD3KTN.jpg

• Like 1

Catching up on the fantastic images! Beauty in nature is found everywhere, isn’t it?

Dave, I have two Monarch cats in my new butterfly cage, but not sure if they are ok. I got them off my swamp milkweed.  I haven’t seen them eat all day. I’m being a helicopter mom over them. I have floral tubes holding water to keep the milkweed fresh in the cage.

Love your Monarch.

Speaking of the milkweed. I go out every day and squish aphids. There was an infestation early on, but hey, I don’t mind yellow fingertips. Aphid guts. It washes off. But I did see an insect similar to a grasshopper (but not one) chomping on the milkweed. I grabbed it in my fist and it bit me. Sharply. I was horrified and jumped like a...er...grasshopper. I won’t do that again. I barely fought off panic. :D

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Catching up on the fantastic images! Beauty in nature is found everywhere, isn’t it?

Dave, I have two Monarch cats in my new butterfly cage, but not sure if they are ok. I got them off my swamp milkweed.  I haven’t seen them eat all day. I’m being a helicopter mom over them. I have floral tubes holding water to keep the milkweed fresh in the cage.

Love your Monarch.

Speaking of the milkweed. I go out every day and squish aphids. There was an infestation early on, but hey, I don’t mind yellow fingertips. Aphid guts. It washes off. But I did see an insect similar to a grasshopper (but not one) chomping on the milkweed. I grabbed it in my fist and it bit me. Sharply. I was horrified and jumped like a...er...grasshopper. I won’t do that again. I barely fought off panic. :D

Better get checked out for Covid 19.

Allan

On 29/08/2020 at 04:59, gvallee said:

Don't let anyone tell you you're not handsome...

2CDMY8C.jpg

Love that with the reflection. 

Just now, chris_rabe said:

Love that with the reflection. 

Thanks Chris. It's not the best angle, I would have preferred more sideways, but it was a bit challenging from a moving boat. I got lucky with the light.

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

Thanks Chris. It's not the best angle, I would have preferred more sideways, but it was a bit challenging from a moving boat. I got lucky with the light.

I think you nailed it. It's terrifying.

No competition from me! A female speckled bush-cricket, leptophytes punctatissima, found on our stained-glass front door and persuaded inside for a sitting. A bit camera-shy after a while, I don't think she liked the modelling light.

DSC05799.jpg

She would only sit still on this ruler.

Nothing like nice clean antennae.

DSC05806.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

sweet little blue tit in the spring in a patch near home that kept me mostly sane during worst of lockdown 

2CEC4J2.jpg

• Like 4

This Robin has been around all summer. He was following me as I was landscaping our garden and I was feeding him worms as I found them. He’s really tame now and I was not much more than an arms length away when I took this..

a-european-robin-erithacus-rubecula-comm

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

This Robin has been around all summer. He was following me as I was landscaping our garden and I was feeding him worms as I found them. He’s really tame now and I was not much more than an arms length away when I took this..

Aww, you’ve got a friend!    
https://tinyurl.com/y4uehckf

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Martin L said:

If people haven't seen these already, some are just amazing

https://www.birdpoty.co.uk/2020-finalists

Outstanding images. I like the one of the blackbird feeding a huge bird not of its kind. I kid you not, if a errant egg was laid in the blackbird’s nest, the parents were stuck with feeding an insatiable appetite. Not fair! 😊

New Zealand Fur Seals like to hang out at the western end of Rottnest Island here in Western Australia. They loll about upside down with one flipper in the air. It seems to be very relaxing for them...

a-new-zealand-fur-seal-arctocephalus-forsteri-lolling-about-upside-down-with-a-flipper-in-the-air-at-rottnest-islandwadjemup-western-australia-2CDYRA6.jpg

• Haha 1

On 08/09/2020 at 08:21, Steve Hyde said:

It is amazing how many Robins only have one leg.

Allan

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

It is amazing how many Robins only have one leg.

Allan

:D We have a variety of one-legged birds here. Not just robins.

Sometimes I’m a one-legged bird when I’m scratching a mosquito bite on the back of my leg with the other foot.

I like to think of myself like this. Graceful.  And yes, I’m a bit nosy.

black-tailed-godwit-limosa-limosa-stands

In actuality, I’m probably picking my nose on a bad-hair day.

west-african-black-or-black-necked-crown

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 09/09/2020 at 06:00, Martin L said:

If people haven't seen these already, some are just amazing

https://www.birdpoty.co.uk/2020-finalists

Just got to looking at these. Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for posting Martin.

Not quite nature but transplanted from Holland.....OH's birthday chrysanths. Very yellow.

I used this one elsewhere to illustrate the advantages of controlled lighting. This is the LR export from RAW, with no processing as such, only default NR and sharpening, not a slider touched. The colour is spot-on.

DSC00263-5.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

Blue-faced honeyeater (Entomyzon cyanotis) feeding on grevillea.

2CN4YEN.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not exactly nature but nice all the same.

derelict-windmill-in-field-near-chilton-street-clare-suffolk-2016-H64849.jpg

picture-postcard-english-village-view-across-the-green-finchingfield-H6484W.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Some great images in this thread.  

I recently procured a Tokina 100mm 1:1 macro lens and considering adding more nature close-ups/macro images to my Alamy portfolio.

Anyone have a feel for how nature close-up/macro stock images on Alamy sells - or not?   Bug-eyed insects and flowers are over-represented I suspect.

45 minutes ago, Phil said:

I recently procured a Tokina 100mm 1:1 macro lens and considering adding more nature close-ups/macro images to my Alamy portfolio.

Anyone have a feel for how nature close-up/macro stock images on Alamy sells - or not?   Bug-eyed insects and flowers are over-represented I suspect.

My efforts here have been purely for our own amusement and to keep my hand in, in the absence of anything else to photograph. There's been very little that I'd reckon would compete here, since they're mostly wild flowers and most of the market is for cultivars. The only exception is one of a hoverfly in a bellflower, just because it looks terrific. I don't have high hopes for it.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Try aquarium fish doing things.   Most aquarium fish and a lot of others are straight side shots.   Plants that aren't necessarily flowers seem to get zoomed and purchased, just not for very much money: two licenses on one Maranta, an oregano plant licensed to China, and a double blossom African violet.  Other thing to consider would be craft people's hands doing something (zoomed but not bought, so searches exist, but my examples were not compelling enough).   I think that the key for any bugs, spiders, or plants is complete scientific name(s) and as many common names as you find on Wikipedia.   Also, making sure you have photos that allow people to use them for identifying other examples of the plant or bug.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

They certainly sell. My best 2 sales this month are macro shots of insects. Having said that, there is a lot of competition with some subjects, such as butterflies and bees, so it can be hard to stand out. Of course there are a lot of insect species, so it's worth trying to find and photograph the rarer species, and life stages, etc. As with photography of people, it can help if the bugs are doing something! 

• Upvote 1