Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

4 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

From a recent trip to Mayo in the west of Ireland...

2D50425.jpg

I don't know how long it would survive out of water but wasn't tempted to pick it up🤨

Phil

Quite right! It would have assimilated into you.

Allan

On 09/10/2020 at 19:34, Betty LaRue said:

Nice shot. Fun to get herons in action. They strike so blazing fast though, it’s only luck if you get the part of the action you want. I was always trying to get the splash as the head went in the water.

thanks.  This one keeps picking a spot where the fishing is behind a branch, so haven't been lucky there.  Did miss the shop of fish entering beak, but i love the throat shot

2CW3XX6.jpg

59 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Lots of unwelcome rain of late but it does improve the appearance of the waterfalls!  Hareshaw Linn in Northumberland, England

2D6BR8W.jpg

How about High Force?

Allan

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Got T shirt  Allan

high-force-waterfall-river-tees-co-durha

Lovely.

When I was 11 years old I joined in weeks break with my class and another from our school in Sunderland in that area and visited High Force and Low Force. We stayed in an old converted church. Burnt porridge for breakfast every morning. But we had a great time. Even went to a local cinema to see a film about Gandhi.

Visited the falls a few times as I got older and still living in Sunderland.

Allan

• Love 1

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Ooh..are we doing requests? I've only got Catrake and on a dull day too. Bryan?.........

CB7HNB.jpg

After one of the wettest Octobers on record, a great time for waterfall photting Mark. Sunshine a bonus. 

13 hours ago, Bryan said:

After one of the wettest Octobers on record, a great time for waterfall photting Mark. Sunshine a bonus. 

That was an August IIRC, and a soggy walk, where the ground is almost liquid and moves under your feet.

Not that we had anything planned, but as of today we're Tier 2 so I think the mark of Cain may be upon us. We'd probably be chased from the North Riding by a pitchfork-wielding mob.

Brightly coloured leaves of Norway maple tree in autumn, UK. Colour gradient from red through to green, fall, leaves. Two people are walking by Stock Photo

Nice autumnal display from this norway maple tree, I've learned that they turn red often starting at the top so if you catch them at the right time you get this lovely colour gradient.

Colour looks awful and oversaturated in firefox as it appears to ignore colour space.

Hmm, looking at this I'm wondering if the issue isn't firefox but that alamy strips colour space info from the images https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/srgb-color-shift-in-firefox-possibly-solved-please-help-me-find-holes-in-this/td-p/9769262?page=1

EDIT: yes, I guess alamy does strip that info. Changing firefox colour management mode to assign sRGB to untagged content fixes the saturation issue.
Edited by Cal

9 hours ago, Cal said:

Changing firefox colour management mode to assign sRGB to untagged content fixes the saturation issue.

Yep, I can't remember the link, but someone posted it to one of the forms a while back. 

10 hours ago, spacecadet said:

These beauties turned up in the woodpile this morning. Fly agaric, ammanita muscaria. To think I'd nearly moved the logs to the new store last week....

DSC05918.jpg

Wow, I’ve never seen shrooms like that.

34 minutes ago, Marianne said:

bride-brook-salt-marsh-niantic-east-lyme-connecticut-fall-october-2020-2D6G7P8.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, finally managed a little travel before the Covid numbers went back up. Stayed in a cottage, ate in, cooked our own food, but so wonderful to get a change of scene. 

Beautiful wetlands!

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Betty LaRue

@John Mitchell Lovely image, but  I know what you mean about color this year. This year, these Japanese maples in my yard are still mostly green though it's the end of October and I'm afraid the leaves that change will go from a dark purplish red right to brown rather than the stunning red, orange and gold of the past. My sugar maple, usually a yellow wonder, is bare of leaves; they just seemed to turn brown and drop.

Tough enough when there is only local nature to photograph, thanks to Covid, and nature doesn't even want to cooperate. They predict that our autumns will continue to become less colorful thanks to climate change.They actually predict that maple trees will migrate north with fewer seedlings taking hold here as it warms up! 

By the sea where I took the photo i added above, fall color is always less intense, subtle golds and muted reds but here at home I expect this intensity. This image, taken in early November 2014, was in a New York State Wild and Scenic calendar last year up on my fridge, but the reality was far less intense out in my yard. It's been a few years since we've had what I'd call an old fashioned autumn. We've had temperatures here in the 70's until this week when it went into the 50's and still no frost at night. I found more okra in my garden yesterday and my zinnias, calendula and lemon verbena are still blooming!

colorful-bright-gold-yellow-orange-and-red-japanese-maple-leaves-on-trees-acer-palmatum-and-scattered-on-the-grass-on-an-autumn-day-chappaqua-west-2AED4RM.jpg

Fall color is so dependent on rain, whether you get enough, and the timing of it. We’ve had a relatively dry summer here, and the foliage is much duller. We also just had a hard early freeze, even daytime temps below freezing, and I’ll be interested to see what happens with some still green trees. From past experience, I expect many leaves will just turn ugly brown and fall.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Marianne said:

Thanks @Betty LaRue

@John Mitchell Lovely image, but  I know what you mean about color this year. This year, these Japanese maples in my yard are still mostly green though it's the end of October and I'm afraid the leaves that change will go from a dark purplish red right to brown rather than the stunning red, orange and gold of the past. My sugar maple, usually a yellow wonder, is bare of leaves; they just seemed to turn brown and drop.

Tough enough when there is only local nature to photograph, thanks to Covid, and nature doesn't even want to cooperate. They predict that our autumns will continue to become less colorful thanks to climate change.They actually predict that maple trees will migrate north with fewer seedlings taking hold here as it warms up! 

By the sea where I took the photo i added above, fall color is always less intense, subtle golds and muted reds but here at home I expect this intensity. This image, taken in early November 2014, was in a New York State Wild and Scenic calendar last year up on my fridge, but the reality was far less intense out in my yard. It's been a few years since we've had what I'd call an old fashioned autumn. We've had temperatures here in the 70's until this week when it went into the 50's and still no frost at night. I found more okra in my garden yesterday and my zinnias, calendula and lemon verbena are still blooming!

I used to live in Quebec, where fall is super-colourful because of all the deciduous trees, especially the maples. Here in Vancouver, the forests are mostly coniferous, so the colours pale in comparison. This fall is definitely less intense than normal. As you say, leaves are sticking around and then just shriveling up on a lot of trees. We've had plenty of rain but also a bout of warmer than average weather earlier in the month that helped kept leaves on the trees longer. No doubt vegetation patterns will change as global temperatures rise. This year is predicted to go down as one of the hottest on record globally.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Sharon said:

I love capturing fallen leaves in a water.  So far this fall, I haven`t had time to get out on the trails.

Very nice image. I haven't gotten out much either. Hopefully we'll see a few nice days in early November.

BTW, don't forget to put US spellings -- e.g. color, colorful, etc. -- in your keywords alongside our strange British/Canadian "our" ones.