Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

19 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Fresh from the herb-bed about 20 minutes ago, snowdrops, galanthus nivalis presumably.

DSC06898.jpgDSC06906.jpg

Not often you see them stood to attention.

Allan

Silhouette of a female kangaroo with a joey in her pouch at sunrise.

Being a side on image, I had to clone a dodgy shape sticking out of the pouch to avoid double-takes....

2EK0HG7.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, gvallee said:

Silhouette of a female kangaroo with a joey in her pouch at sunrise.

Being a side on image, I had to clone a dodgy shape sticking out of the pouch to avoid double-takes....

2EK0HG7.jpg

Love this and, ahem, I understand the “point” of your cloning.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, spacecadet said:

A brave little primula this week

DSC06945.jpg

Amazing how it seems to be winter, then you spy something blooming. I’m seeing buds starting to swell a bit on trees, but then we’ve had an 85 degree swing since the coldest, most bitter temperatures just three weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

We're finally in the dry season.   Mountain with a cross and shelter on the west side of Jinotega.  Lots of agaves around.   Going to the top is a popular hike, but there is also a dirt road up for repairs.

2F3ECPK.jpg

Peña de la Cruz from my front window, 105mm Nikkor f/2.5.  Some people are standing next to the cross.

• Love 1

21 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

We're finally in the dry season.   Mountain with a cross and shelter on the west side of Jinotega.  Lots of agaves around.   Going to the top is a popular hike, but there is also a dirt road up for repairs.

2F3ECPK.jpg

Peña de la Cruz from my front window, 105mm Nikkor f/2.5.  Some people are standing next to the cross.

Gosh I could get a good image with my 600mm.

Allan

22 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Gosh I could get a good image with my 600mm.

Allan

If I had a lens that showed from in town what the graffiti said that's written on the base of the cross, I'd be very happy.  There's a lot of atmosphere between me and Peña de la Cruz most days.   This is what I get with a 55-210mm lens at 210mm on my a6000.   Having a 600mm lens would be nice for a lot of things here: birds, soccer, police, wildlife.   Speaking of police, the mayor's office sends an armed guard up with tourists making the hike.  Some tourists came back to the hotel where I normally have breakfast and asked if that was necessary since that was kinda scary having a cop with an automatic rifle with them.  Um, kinda.  People have been robbed on the trail and it's Jinotega's only major tourist attraction.

J1TCAD.jpg

Edited by MizBrown
unconfusing things

16 hours ago, MizBrown said:

If I had a lens that showed from in town what the graffiti said that's written on the base of the cross, I'd be very happy.  There's a lot of atmosphere between me and Peña de la Cruz most days.   This is what I get with a 55-210mm lens at 210mm on my a6000.   Having a 600mm lens would be nice for a lot of things here: birds, soccer, police, wildlife.   Speaking of police, the mayor's office sends an armed guard up with tourists making the hike.  Some tourists came back to the hotel where I normally have breakfast and asked if that was necessary since that was kinda scary having a cop with an automatic rifle with them.  Um, kinda.  People have been robbed on the trail and it's Jinotega's only major tourist attraction.

J1TCAD.jpg

When I wrote 600mm lens I should have written 200 - 600mm lens which on my  a6000 gives 300 - 900mm.

I would rather have an armed guard than risk the trail without one in those circumstances.

Allan

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

When I wrote 600mm lens I should have written 200 - 600mm lens which on my  a6000 gives 300 - 900mm.

I would rather have an armed guard than risk the trail without one in those circumstances.

Allan

Yeah, I've had that Sony lens in my B&H wish list for a while.

Nicaragua was advertising itself as the safest country in Central America/Latin America.  Most crimes don't get reported.  My sense of things is it's not as dangerous as the Lower East Side in the 1970s.  Tourists tend to believe the promotions.  One guy handed his camera to a kid at a house along the trail and the kid ran off with it.  When the tourist got the cops there, the kid was about to throw the camera away out of frustration with it (Sony menus?).  So the guy got it back.   Probably other incidents because at the dedication of the mirador, a priest asked that people not use the mirador for taking drugs and fornicating.

53 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Eristalis tenax?

Methinks you're correct. This is my one and only Eristalis tenax image (taken with Sony 18-55 kit lens and cheapo "auto" extension tubes).

drone-fly-eristalis-tenax-feeding-on-com

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Yes, an adult male but it's on Forsythia, not winter jasmine

Crikey, thanks:blink: I knew we had some of that somewhere. no wonder I couldn't find any other pix of it. That'll teach us to assume.

No wonder it didn't look like the other jasmine, then.

Edited by spacecadet

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Methinks you're correct. This is my one and only Eristalis tenax image (taken with Sony 18-55 kit lens and cheapo "auto" extension tubes).

drone-fly-eristalis-tenax-feeding-on-com

Same here but no tubes- I'm more interested in the flowers as it's a lockdown project to do everything in the garden. I didn't start till May last year so there are a few to catch up with.

My macro bellows-process lens setup is a bit clumsy- I would probably have flattened the poor thing. But you've inspired me to have another go- hoverflies don't move too quickly.

Now if i can just identify the plant correctly next time..........thanks John....

Edited by spacecadet

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is getting a bit quiet- the flowers are coming out you know!

Some catch-ups that I didn't get last year

Primrose (I know, could be primula!) candytuft, and the orange one- we don't know. John..........?

DSC07141.jpgDSC07168.jpgDSC07161.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

This thread is getting a bit quiet- the flowers are coming out you know!

Some catch-ups that I didn't get last year

Primrose (I know, could be primula!) candytuft, and the orange one- we don't know. John..........?

DSC07141.jpgDSC07168.jpgDSC07161.jpg

I assume it's a shrub with green stems.  If it is it's Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora', probably 'Guinea Gold'.

• Thanks 1