Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

• 2 weeks later...

Cuckoo flower. We used to have much more of this but the heliotrope has crowded it out, which is a bit of a shame.

The purple tinge seems stronger this year, but they may just be fresher than I remember..

DSC07464.jpg

You don't seem to be able to click through to a full-size image on postimages.org anymore.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

On 21/04/2021 at 12:00, Jenny Wise Photos said:

2C4BYMM.jpg

Jenny, let me give you some constructive advice. I took a look at your images.  You have some that have sales potential. But your captions are lacking and you don’t have the subjects identified.

On your white flowers, don’t caption them “white flowers”. Caption them with the common name and also the scientific name. For instance, if I have a picture of creeping phlox, I caption it

“Blooming purple (or blue) creeping phlox (then the scientific name here) growing in a neighborhood flower garden. Kansas, USA.

The white flower with the bug (insect) on it....do your research. There are sites online you can check. Google “insect ID” or “Bug ID” again, use the common name and scientific name.

So your caption would be:

”Insect common name, scientific name, on a white flower common name, scientific name in “your state, USA.

Then put all of those terms in your tags.

tags:

insect common name

insect scientific name

flower common name

flower scientific name

Sometimes these insects or flowers are indigenous to a certain part of the country. If they are, in your tags give your state, US,USA,United States,North America.

If they are found all over the US, eliminate the state, but use the rest.

As your images are captioned and tagged right now, they will never be found or licensed. Very often if I sell an insect, flower, tree, bird or anything of nature, the search term is the scientific name. Probably 50-70% of my sales are of the scientific name.

I realize I’ve just suggested you spend a lot of time researching. I’m sorry. But if you want to make sales, it’s a necessary evil. I’ve actually spent parts of several days trying to identify ONE something I’ve photographed. And if I couldn’t ID it, I didn’t upload it.

Wikipedia is a good source if you know the common name.

You might put in the search bar:

Wiki June bug

and you’ll get a page telling you the scientific name. Just be sure of the ID has pictures that match what you have, then do an Alamy search to verify your June bug looks like the same insect everyone else has.

I think your bug on the white flower is this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_beetle

So if that is correct, your caption would be:

Green June beetle, Cotinis nitida, resting on a  white “name of flower plus scientific name” in June. (Or whenever you took it) Pennsylvania, USA.

If you don’t know the name of the white flower, then ignore it and make the caption just about the beetle.

”Green June beetle, Cotinis nitida, resting on a white flower in (whatever month).  Pennsylvania, USA.

Then your tags would be similar to this:

green June beetle, June beetle, green June beetles, June beetles, beetle, beetles, insect, insects, bug, bugs, nature, flower, flowers, white flower, white flowers, plant, plants, summer, (or spring) horizontal, outdoors, day, daytime, nobody, Pennsylvania, US, USA, United States, North America

I hope this helps you.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

The ever-changing Japanese maple growing in our front yard. This is the stage it is in at the moment. Lovely tree but it can't seem to figure out what colour it wants to be.

Close-up of red Japanese maple Acer palmatum tree leaves in spring, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Stock Photo

Japanese Maples are beautiful but they are a bit finicky, IMO. It’s been awhile, but I think when I planted one in Oklahoma years ago, it said to give it some filtered shade part of the day. Like from another tree. Of course, that was instructions for Oklahoma, which has some pretty fierce summer heat. Probably not an issue where you are. Mine didn’t do well. But yes, the colors change!

Pretty Image!

On 22/04/2021 at 23:16, Betty LaRue said:

Really nice images, guys!

Jenny, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that particular damselfly. Pretty!

Beautiful Demaoiselle (Calopteryx virgo) male

As Betty said, identifying and correctly captioning wildlife and plants is a must if you want them to sell.

Edited by Phil Robinson

37 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

As Betty said, identifying and correctly captioning wildlife and plants is a must if you want them to sell.

I think its spelt 'Demoiselle'

38 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

Errr... It's Demoiselle Phil.

5 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Normally see these guys swimming round my local harbour, due to Covid apart from trawlers its fairly quiet which is why sleepy head here was bobbing about dead to the world, sound asleep. 

grey-seal-halichoerus-grypus-asleep-while-floating-in-the-sea-ireland-2F9PPT9.jpg

Love it.

Paulette

52 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Normally see these guys swimming round my local harbour, due to Covid apart from trawlers its fairly quiet which is why sleepy head here was bobbing about dead to the world, sound asleep. 

grey-seal-halichoerus-grypus-asleep-while-floating-in-the-sea-ireland-2F9PPT9.jpg

That looks like the most satisfying poo ever

23 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Japanese Maples are beautiful but they are a bit finicky, IMO. It’s been awhile, but I think when I planted one in Oklahoma years ago, it said to give it some filtered shade part of the day. Like from another tree. Of course, that was instructions for Oklahoma, which has some pretty fierce summer heat. Probably not an issue where you are. Mine didn’t do well. But yes, the colors change!

Pretty Image!

Thanks for the kind words, Betty. Japanese maples seem to thrive here with very little fuss, but then just about anything will grow in Vancouver, even the occasional palm tree:

Windmill Palm tree (Trachycarpus fortunei) or Chusan palm growing outside an apartment building in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Stock Photo