Jump to content

Post a beautiful nature picture


Betty LaRue
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Libellula saturata, or Flame skimmer dragonfly.

2GRX7N9.jpg
 

Wow, those are so rare and during sunset reveille most beautiful eye burning golden colour 👍 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

This white-lined sphinx hummingbird moth was harassed by this silver-spotted skipper butterfly.  Every blossom the moth fed from, the skipper followed, sometimes trying to land directly on it.  I have never seen that behavior before. I didn’t know if it’s behavior was caused by rage or love. 😉 possibly idolatry.

 

2H128RB.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

After spawning in Bristol Harbour a lorry returns to the land...

d...

🤩 Can't match that, pond's too muddy, just got a bit of  Herb Robert.......much sharper this year......shame the click-through doesn't seem to work now.

This one does though:

https://postimg.cc/4nhpx1gZ

DSC08912.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

This has been a lousy fall for photography here. We seemed to go straight from summer to grey winter weather with very little colour in between. However, I did manage to take a few autumn nature pics. This dogwood grows outside our front window.

 

closeup-of-dogwood-tree-leaves-changing-color-in-fall-vancouver-british-columbia-canada-2H5GR2B.jpg
Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

This has been a lousy fall for photography here. We seemed to go straight from summer to grey winter weather with very little colour in between. However, I did manage to take a few autumn nature pics. This dogwood grows outside our front window.

 

closeup-of-dogwood-tree-leaves-changing-color-in-fall-vancouver-british-columbia-canada-2H5GR2B.jpg

Beautiful!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks, Betty. It was actually a very dull day. I'm surprised the image turned out as bright and cheery as it did.

I’ve found the best time to shoot autumn foliage is on overcast days. One can escape those nasty blown highlights that replace color. Then it’s just a matter of good PP to brighten and intensify the colors a tad, if needed. You’ve done that.

This one, leaves of my Burning Bush, was in the sun from the front. I had to move around to the shadiest side, and even so, you can see the left side where a few leaves were blanched of intense color from the sun.

2EFRB8P.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve found the best time to shoot autumn foliage is on overcast days. One can escape those nasty blown highlights that replace color. Then it’s just a matter of good PP to brighten and intensify the colors a tad, if needed. You’ve done that.

This one, leaves of my Burning Bush, was in the sun from the front. I had to move around to the shadiest side, and even so, you can see the left side where a few leaves were blanched of intense color from the sun.

2EFRB8P.jpg

 

I did lighten and brighten things up as best I could. Yes, colours do tend to "pop" on cloudy days, and no troublesome highlights to contend with.

 

However, it's probably OK to have some overcooked highlights on a burning bush. 😃

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I did lighten and brighten things up as best I could. Yes, colours do tend to "pop" on cloudy days, and no troublesome highlights to contend with.

 

However, it's probably OK to have some overcooked highlights on a burning bush. 😃

 

 

True! 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

SPIDER WARNING.

Been a while since we've had anything here but this splendid fellow now lives behind a kitchen cabinet.

A lace-weaver?

DSC09284.jpg

 

Hosted image at full-size-2 clicks-

https://postimg.cc/4n7NhxmT

Alamy no longer seems to show that.

Still working on my technique with the macro lens because its sweet spot is only f11 and I have great difficulty with DoF. It really struggles below f16 and post sharpening won't do.

I'd love to know what the expert here do.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

SPIDER WARNING.

Been a while since we've had anything here but this splendid fellow now lives behind a kitchen cabinet.

A lace-weaver?

DSC09284.jpg

 

Hosted image at full-size-2 clicks-

https://postimg.cc/4n7NhxmT

Alamy no longer seems to show that.

Still working on my technique with the macro lens because its sweet spot is only f11 and I have great difficulty with DoF. It really struggles below f16 and post sharpening won't do.

I'd love to know what the expert here do.

 

Is it carrying its young on its back?  Looks like it to me.  If it is you are going to be overrun with them, but don't send me any I have my own problems.

 

Allan

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Is it carrying its young on its back?  Looks like it to me.  If it is you are going to be overrun with them, but don't send me any I have my own problems.

 

Allan

 

No, it's just hairy. If you click through on the link it's clearer.

We did have a herd of spiderlings under the car bonnet once though. When the car lived outside we had a long-term inhabitant in one of the wing mirrors.

DSC07372.jpg

 

We consider spiders in the house to be part of the deal. Nothing to do with our housekeeping of course😉

Watching one truss up a wasp was extraordinary. It didn't have a chance.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

No, it's just hairy. If you click through on the link it's clearer.

We did have a herd of spiderlings under the car bonnet once though. When the car lived outside we had a long-term inhabitant in one of the wing mirrors.

DSC07372.jpg

 

We consider spiders in the house to be part of the deal. Nothing to do with our housekeeping of course😉

Watching one truss up a wasp was extraordinary. It didn't have a chance.

 

Yes useful little friends.

 

Allan

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/02/2022 at 16:26, spacecadet said:

SPIDER WARNING.

Been a while since we've had anything here but this splendid fellow now lives behind a kitchen cabinet.

A lace-weaver?

DSC09284.jpg

 

Hosted image at full-size-2 clicks-

https://postimg.cc/4n7NhxmT

Alamy no longer seems to show that.

Still working on my technique with the macro lens because its sweet spot is only f11 and I have great difficulty with DoF. It really struggles below f16 and post sharpening won't do.

I'd love to know what the expert here do.

Whilst I wouldn't harm it, if it was living behind one of my kitchen cabinets it would have been evicted by now.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Whilst I wouldn't harm it, if it was living behind one of my kitchen cabinets it would have been evicted by now.

Can't chuck it out in this weather, surely😵

If he can make a living there he's welcome to it. Probably gets the odd fruit fly. Or, as I said,  wasp if he's really hard.

Edited by spacecadet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Can't chuck it out in this weather, surely😵

If he can make a living there he's welcome to it. Probably gets the odd fruit fly. Or, as I said,  wasp if he's really hard.

Into the woodpile at the bottom of the garden which has been left as a bug 'hotel'. Very sheltered; he would be OK and probably happier there. Lots of bugs to feast on.🐛

Edited by Dave Richards
corrected text.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Still just me then? OK, this year's amaryllis, white b/g for a change- I haven't turned the colour up to 11, it looks like that. Pretty much.

Actually the WB varies a bit as Remote Camera Control and the A58 disagree about the colour temperature of flash.

 

amaryllis-1950.jpg

Oops just noticed the edge of the roll at the top, thought I'd lost that..........

amaryllis-1957.jpg

Going abstract, Edward Weston did it better but why not...

amaryllis-1958.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.