Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Pretty! I grew some poppies like those, once. Mine were in a half whiskey barrel.

At about 1000 metres above sea level they grow wild out here, different varieties too. There are even some orange coloured California poppies in one part of the island!

Phil

Edited by Phil Crean
spellling

6 hours ago, Phil Crean said:

At about 1000 metres above sea level they grow wild out here, different varieties too. There are even some orange coloured California poppies in one part of the island!

Phil

That’s what I had, the California orange. I didn’t remember until you said it. It’s been 20 years ago!

• Love 1

On 22/04/2021 at 18:44, Betty LaRue said:

Hello Betty! I just want to thank you so much for taking the time to share your advice. It's been a little crazy around here, but I have started working through the images and posting better captioning. Everything you said made perfect sense. I appreciated your help and experience very much! I'm new here to the forum; so looking forward to learning a lot more! Hope you are having a great spring time! Your Friend, Jenny    S:o)

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, Jenny Wise Photos said:

Happy to be of help, Jenny! And it’s nice for someone new to heed advice. Some people feel insulted, but our advice is to help you. Once you have many images in your portfolio, it’s so much more difficult correcting them than when caught toward the beginning.

Alamy changed over to a new way of doing things a few years back that caused a big mess in our keywords field. I had 5000 images to go through one at a time to fix the keywords on all of my images. I thought I would go mad, but I got it done over several months.  

• 3 weeks later...

This image was taken mid-May on a hiking trip in Kananaskis Country, Alberta Rocky Mountains

green-valley-distant-snowy-mountain-peak

The ridge in foreground is called King Creek Ridge and it was largely snowbound, but first highpoint where this photo was taken was snow free and I spent at least half an hour sitting and enjoying expansive views. In the distance are Kananaskis Lakes, still frozen.  Specially amazing were these cloud formations above distant snowy mountain Peaks,  better seen on this telephoto

green-valley-distant-snowy-mountain-peak

Both of these images were taken with Canon 6D, full frame, and 24-105L lens.  Pano is 4x2 grid with all frames at 24mm, while telephoto is single frame and for once I am happy with 105mm focal length.  I also took a "selfie", being without tripod I simply leaned my Rx100 on rucksack and snapped this before I left;  not submitted for sale, but inserting here to complete the story

attachment.php?attachmentid=285980

I maintain personal website, which is kinda mix of photography and hiking;  Hiking part has log of all these Canadian Rockies trips and if you wish you can read more about this hike (and see more photos)  here

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while, but here are a few from the garden that I didn't get last year......... click through twice if you want full-size.

Lilac

DSC07543.jpg

Azalea.......this is very orange........never noticed the giraffe spots until I put flash through it.DSC07552.jpg

May- which actually did wait till May this year, April being so cold.........

DSC07561.jpg

...and weigelia florida by the pond

DSC07620.jpg

Irises by the pond bog garden

DSC07613.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

A new one- we've never noticed it before, probably because the flowers last only a day- Wood avens/herb bennet.

DSC07642.jpg

..and the magpie brat hassling the grown-ups......

DSC07590.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

..and the magpie brat hassling the grown-ups......

DSC07590.jpg

"If you are going to be like that you go and find your own place to live."  That should shut him up.

Allan

32 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

"If you are going to be like that you go and find your own place to live."  That should shut him up.

Allan

I think he has. I heard him in next door's garden today.😀

Those young’uns sure hate to have to begin rustling up their own chow. I always knew when the parents were DONE when the parents just ignored or flew away, leaving the noisy one confused.

Anyone that visited Banff National Park probably went to see Moraine Lake;  at one time it was on back of Canadian $20 dollar bill.   Lake is beautiful, but it is tourist zoo.  14km winding road ends at fairly small parking lot that simply can't accommodate swarms of tourist cars, tour buses etc.   For that reason I don't go there, although there is some world class hiking above.  But as the road is not plowed, it is closed off-season.  May 31 was last day before re-opening and I went for a bike ride.  It is awesome, angle is not too steep and on return you can coast almost all the way back!  

Area was still largely snowbound and lake just began to thaw.  So unable to do any higher elevation hiking I went for a stroll around the lake, following tourist path on the north side.  This pic was taken along that path, and it truly showcases beauty of this unique area in Canadian Rockies;  and I had it all to myself; in season it feels sometimes like Calgary stampede

valley-of-ten-peaks-above-frozen-moraine

Trail ends at far side of the lake - roughly lower right of the photo.   I admired 2 harlequin ducks enjoying sunshine at lake inlet, wishing I had telephoto lens on me;  I tried to come closer, but they wouldn't let me.  Then, as I had time, I decided to try to make it to other side of the lake.  This was very tricky, crossing raging stream and postholing in wet snow but I made it.   Here's the 4x2 pano taken there;  if you have seen classic Moraine Lake shot before, would you be able to guess this is Moraine lake too? (Towering Mountain on left side is Mt. Temple, 3rd highest in Southern Rockies)

wide-panoramic-landscape-scenic-view-of-

Then the devil inside told me to circumvent the lake, coming back on south (right on pic above). There is no trail and I almost got myself into deep trouble.  Had to cross several avalanche slopes without mountaineering gear, but I made it.

Hope you enjoyed the pics and apologies for the rant

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Love 2

The cotoneaster is absolutely seething with bees, but the flowers aren't really out far enough to make a picture, but not to worry, they like the iris sibirica as well.

Looks like quite a job getting in and out, so I had time to get this.

DSC07775.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

The amaryllis has flowered for the first time in a few years, so worth a look.

DSC07726.jpg

........and this little creeping wood-sorrel on the drive. I had to use a black umbrella to cut down the daylight.

DSC07788.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

21 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The cotoneaster is absolutely seething with bees, but the flowers aren't really out far enough to make a picture, but not to worry, they like the iris sibirica as well.

Looks like quite a job getting in and out, so I had time to get this.

DSC07775.jpg

Hi Mark,

I know you will know the names of plants in your own garden but I am surprised that the image above is a Cotoneaster as I have never seen one with a flower like that shown. Had a quick look on the web and could find nothing like it relating to Cotoneaster. Can you tell me what it is so I can add it to my list please.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Mark,

I know you will know the names of plants in your own garden but I am surprised that the image above is a Cotoneaster as I have never seen one with a flower like that shown. Had a quick look on the web and could find nothing like it relating to Cotoneaster. Can you tell me what it is so I can add it to my list please.

Allan

Allan, he said the cotoneaster wasn’t ready yet to make a picture, but the Iris is. So this isn’t cotoneaster. Reread carefully.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sally R said:

I actually wonder if the bee was drunk 😂  It seems to have half fallen asleep while feeding on nectar with its arms just managing to hold itself up while it has fallen on its behind 🤣  I've actually seen bees drunk on nectar before, unable to fly straight and trying to land on a flower but keep kind of missing and then rolling off it. I was curious if there was a video of this phenomenon and just found this one of drunk bees in slow motion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSqknjdKJ3c

Hilarious! I’ve never seen a drunk bee.

The last time I felt like that, I thought it just made me dance better! Delusional, of course. I was definitely limber, though. Close to sliding under the table limber.  Those Mai Tais will sneak up on you because you just taste all the delicious fruit juices, not the liquor. You don’t want to start slurping them on an empty stomach, I learned. 2 1/2 drinks did me in until I ate.

Those days are behind me.

Edited by Betty LaRue

Love-in a mist- never had (or spotted!) this in the garden before. Nigella (something- doesn't look big enough for damascena, John?..........)

DSC07889.jpg

Serbian bellflowers...put these up last year....it's been a whole year!........just outside the kitchen...

DSC07899.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, Sally R said:

I've never been much of drinker (and not at all now), but the few times I've been sozzled involved beverages with fruit juices. One involved some sort of purple fruit from Africa, and I remember hearing myself say things but having no control over what I was saying.

I visited New Zealand in 2018, and they have a large pigeon there called the Kereru that is known for getting drunk on fermented fruit. I got to see some though none were drunk at the time. They are loveable, plump birds. This is a video of some drunk ones:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2018/oct/15/inebriated-kereru-pigeons-binge-on-fruit-punch-video

Aww, poor birds! Very funny, though. I wonder if they get cirrhosis of the liver? 😂

23 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Well, the funny thing is, a nice couple who have been rehabilitating birds for decades in NZ have opened a detox centre for kereru at their wildlife rehab place. A story ran on a NZ news channel about it https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/wed-better-open-up-brewery-jokes-veteran-rescuer-drunk-kerer-numbers-soar

😁 Now I get to worry about birds on the other side of the world!