Jump to content

Post a beautiful nature picture


Recommended Posts

hugo-a-french-bulldog-living-in-liverpoo

 

I came upon this wild chien outside a pub on Castle Street. I tried to say "hello, I'm a friend" in his language (French? Dog? Scouse?), but he would have none of it. I wanted to turn and run but I managed to keep calm and back away slowly. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sally R said:

 

I love this Betty. Fledglings do often seem to be much less afraid of us humans than adults birds - so trusting and innocent and often curious. We have a pair of galahs who seem to have a nest in the backyard now, so expecting to hear squawking sometime soon (as baby galahs are VERY LOUD, but loveable at the same time even if somewhat scrawny). Your little robin is incredibly cute and I love the speckled colours.

Thank you, Sally. There isn’t an ugly baby animal. No matter how ugly. 😉😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

hugo-a-french-bulldog-living-in-liverpoo

 

I came upon this wild chien outside a pub on Castle Street. I tried to say "hello, I'm a friend" in his language (French? Dog? Scouse?), but he would have none of it. I wanted to turn and run but I managed to keep calm and back away slowly. 

 

It is the larger dogs I am wary of. That one you met you can pick up and throw away.🤨

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2020 at 12:53, Allan Bell said:

 

It is the larger dogs I am wary of. That one you met you can pick up and throw away.🤨

 

Allan

 

The big ones will turn your blood cold...they’ll go for the throat sometimes. But the small ones are the ankle-biters, and can do their own brand of damage. 
My mother had a half poodle, half cocker spaniel once. I was visiting when Mom’s insurance agent called on her. Danny barked once or twice when he came in, then laid down through the visit. When the guy got up to leave, Danny shadowed him then nipped his heel above his shoe as he was stepping out of the door. It was the Cocker in him. They can be feisty.

Edited by Betty LaRue
Link to post
Share on other sites

A supposedly true story that makes me smile is the one about the doberman who didn't stop the burglar from coming in but didn't let him leave.

 

Paulette

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shergar said:

TTDYYH.jpg

 

My 4 year old Gordon setter Ben, a little over 80lbs 

 

I could use some of that cool about now. Beautiful scenery.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sally R said:

 

I love this photo Shergar. The scenery is beautiful on its own but having your dog Ben in there as well really makes it. A few years ago I went to Bhutan and there were many dogs wandering about who were friendly. I can remember watching a scene of the sun setting and cloud coming down from the mountains over a village and valley, and this lovely dog just came and watched the scene with me. Your photo reminds me of that memory.

 

You should have brought that dog back home. He/she was a sole-mate.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/07/2020 at 23:31, Betty LaRue said:

The big ones will turn your blood cold...they’ll go for the throat sometimes. But the small ones are the ankle-biters, and can do their own brand of damage. 
My mother had a half poodle, half cocker spaniel once. I was visiting when Mom’s insurance agent called on her. Danny barked once or twice when he came in, then laid down through the visit. When the guy got up to leave, Danny shadowed him then nipped his heel above his shoe as he was stepping out of the door. It was the Cocker in him. They can be feisty.

 

You will have to be careful if you ever come over the pond to visit the Queen.

 

Corgis are good ankle biters.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally started uploading "new" content again. 

I have decided to put off majority of my keyword reviewing until winter - I have a lot to fix, and I'd rather use the nicer weather to get out into nature now. 

 

2C89PHF.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a special moment for me a couple of months ago - for years I have wanted to see grebes carrying their chicks around. I wish I had been able to get lower down, but it was just lovely to see :)

 

I have a special day our planned for tomorrow - going to some wetlands I have not visited since before lockdown. It was going to be two days running I was having outings, but Saturday isn't looking so good right now.

 

2C91J8F.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

This was a special moment for me a couple of months ago - for years I have wanted to see grebes carrying their chicks around. I wish I had been able to get lower down, but it was just lovely to see :)

 

I have a special day our planned for tomorrow - going to some wetlands I have not visited since before lockdown. It was going to be two days running I was having outings, but Saturday isn't looking so good right now.

 

2C91J8F.jpg

 

You are very lucky to get such a good shot. At least as far as I am concerned. Course it is probably better preparation than I ever managed.

 

I used to visit my local water park nearly every day in the village where I lived in Cambridge and there were Grebes there which I tried many times to capture on the sensor but the moment they saw me positioning the camera they dived under water and would pop up elsewhere shouting "Cooeeee! I'm over here". Did manage to get one or two but no where near as good as yours.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

This was a special moment for me a couple of months ago - for years I have wanted to see grebes carrying their chicks around. I wish I had been able to get lower down, but it was just lovely to see :)

 

I have a special day our planned for tomorrow - going to some wetlands I have not visited since before lockdown. It was going to be two days running I was having outings, but Saturday isn't looking so good right now.

 

2C91J8F.jpg

Spectacular, Chris! What I wouldn’t give just to see them let alone capture them on camera so well. Good on you.  That would have been a thrill for me, too. Trouble is, I’d have been shaking with excitement so much I’d have messed up the shots. I do that if I come across something on my bucket list unexpectedly.

i planted two crabapple trees once in the hopes of attracting Cedar Waxwings.  I waited 8 years, then one day pulling into my driveway after shopping, there they were, a flock of them accompanied by a flock of American robins. They were stripping the red crabapples off the tree, it was winter.

I had to pull into the garage, get my Nikon, mount my 80-400 lens, put the camera on a monopod and sneak out to the garage door and take my shots. I must I’ve taken 80 or so, only a few useable because even with a monopod, I was shaking so hard and my finger jerked on the button. In fact, I was shaking so hard that just getting my lens mounted took forever.

Betty

The only one fit for upload.

C4XEM0.jpg
 

A robin, same shoot

C4XEKX.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Spectacular, Chris! What I wouldn’t give just to see them let alone capture them on camera so well. Good on you.  That would have been a thrill for me, too. Trouble is, I’d have been shaking with excitement so much I’d have messed up the shots. I do that if I come across something on my bucket list unexpectedly.

i planted two crabapple trees once in the hopes of attracting Cedar Waxwings.  I waited 8 years, then one day pulling into my driveway after shopping, there they were, a flock of them accompanied by a flock of American robins. They were stripping the red crabapples off the tree, it was winter.

I had to pull into the garage, get my Nikon, mount my 80-400 lens, put the camera on a monopod and sneak out to the garage door and take my shots. I must I’ve taken 80 or so, only a few useable because even with a monopod, I was shaking so hard and my finger jerked on the button. In fact, I was shaking so hard that just getting my lens mounted took forever.

Betty

The only one fit for upload.

C4XEM0.jpg
 

A robin, same shoot

C4XEKX.jpg

 

That's a red, red robin. What was he saying to you?

 

Paulette

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NYCat said:

 

That's a red, red robin. What was he saying to you?

 

Paulette

 

Get that camera out'a my face.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NYCat said:

 

That's a red, red robin. What was he saying to you?

 

Paulette

He couldn’t get any words out because of the crabapple in his mouth. 😉Might have wanted to say, “my feet are cold, it’s February.” And yeah, Allan, what you said. 😂

Edited by Betty LaRue
Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about waxwings are they are usually found in the countryside. They are in flocks, anyway every time I’ve seen them, and feed on berries of all kinds, including those green “horn-shaped” berries on evergreens, and catkins. I’ve seen them in town only twice in my life. The first time many years ago I saw them was when we cut back some holly bushes in the winter. We had the limbs piled in the yard. It was winter (again) and the waxwings came in a flock to feed on the holly berries in the limb pile. I had never seen one before and fell in love.

 

I don’t know for sure, but possibly when food gets scarce in the country, they’ll search in urban areas. Of all the years (about 25) I had my crabapple trees, one in front, one in back, they visited only once.
I must’ve been extremely optimistic when I planted them.

Edited by Betty LaRue
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2020 at 01:33, Betty LaRue said:

Spectacular, Chris! What I wouldn’t give just to see them let alone capture them on camera so well. Good on you.  That would have been a thrill for me, too. Trouble is, I’d have been shaking with excitement so much I’d have messed up the shots. I do that if I come across something on my bucket list unexpectedly.

i planted two crabapple trees once in the hopes of attracting Cedar Waxwings.  I waited 8 years, then one day pulling into my driveway after shopping, there they were, a flock of them accompanied by a flock of American robins. They were stripping the red crabapples off the tree, it was winter.

I had to pull into the garage, get my Nikon, mount my 80-400 lens, put the camera on a monopod and sneak out to the garage door and take my shots. I must I’ve taken 80 or so, only a few useable because even with a monopod, I was shaking so hard and my finger jerked on the button. In fact, I was shaking so hard that just getting my lens mounted took forever.

Betty

The only one fit for upload.


 

You were so lucky with the Waxwings - something I am still desperately after! Maybe this winter! It's such a lovely shot :)

 

I know what you mean about exciting moments getting the better of you - just yesterday, I encountered my first stoat - a weasel like creature for anyone not sure. I was just so flabbergasted, I forgot how to use my camera :D  Still got a couple of ok shots - helped by at one point it coming to within about 3 meters of me! Despite me not getting that I actually went out for - this made up for it :D 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/07/2020 at 18:49, Allan Bell said:

 

You are very lucky to get such a good shot. At least as far as I am concerned. Course it is probably better preparation than I ever managed.

 

I used to visit my local water park nearly every day in the village where I lived in Cambridge and there were Grebes there which I tried many times to capture on the sensor but the moment they saw me positioning the camera they dived under water and would pop up elsewhere shouting "Cooeeee! I'm over here". Did manage to get one or two but no where near as good as yours.

 

Allan

 

 

They are one of my fav uk birds. I  now have quite a few photos of them. I have three great locations for them near me - Richmond Park, the Thames jsut a 20 min walk away, and Windsor Park - which I was going to visit today, but am knackered after my day out yesterday 😕 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

 

They are one of my fav uk birds. I  now have quite a few photos of them. I have three great locations for them near me - Richmond Park, the Thames jsut a 20 min walk away, and Windsor Park - which I was going to visit today, but am knackered after my day out yesterday 😕 

 

Yeh! The heat gets to you don't it. I was out yesterday afternoon and am taking it easy indoors today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Australian White Ibis (Threskiornis molucca) silhouetted in flight at sunrise. It helps to have a campervan to camp near the wetlands. I didn't have to get up at super stupid o'clock. I still needed a short drive in the dark though.

 

2C9R7A8.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.