Post a beautiful nature picture

Betty LaRue

Just now, Allan Bell said:

What happened to my little friend after his house arrest?

Allan

Evicted.

But he'll be back. We encourage spiders. One lived in our wing mirror for years.

I have some  amazing video of one trussing up a wasp in the kitchen the other summer. Didn't have a chance. Whiz, whiz, cocoon.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Evicted.

But he'll be back. We encourage spiders. One lived in our wing mirror for years.

I have some  amazing video of one trussing up a wasp in the kitchen the other summer. Didn't have a chance. Whiz, whiz, cocoon.

Ah. Pleased to hear that.

Allan

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Ah. Pleased to hear that.

Allan

Oh we wouldn't lay a finger on most things. Even leave the wasps to the spiders as you know.

Ants in the house get short shrift though and the electric tennis racquet does a great number on mossies and bluebottles. Crack, smoke, gone🤩

Anyway Hercule was pretty massive. Need a complete Sunday Times to make a dent on his carapace, I think.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sally R said:

I've recently discovered peacock spiders, a male and female, living in a clump of grass in the backyard. The male does elaborate dance moves to impress the female. I managed to get a photo of him, but not sure if he was just practising or whether there was a female out of sight watching that I couldn't see. I did see a female a few days 

Excellent images Sally, well done. Peacock spiders are fascinating.

Catching up on the fantastic images! Beauty in nature is found everywhere, isn’t it?

Dave, I have two Monarch cats in my new butterfly cage, but not sure if they are ok. I got them off my swamp milkweed.  I haven’t seen them eat all day. I’m being a helicopter mom over them. I have floral tubes holding water to keep the milkweed fresh in the cage.

Love your Monarch.

Speaking of the milkweed. I go out every day and squish aphids. There was an infestation early on, but hey, I don’t mind yellow fingertips. Aphid guts. It washes off. But I did see an insect similar to a grasshopper (but not one) chomping on the milkweed. I grabbed it in my fist and it bit me. Sharply. I was horrified and jumped like a...er...grasshopper. I won’t do that again. I barely fought off panic. :D

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Catching up on the fantastic images! Beauty in nature is found everywhere, isn’t it?

Dave, I have two Monarch cats in my new butterfly cage, but not sure if they are ok. I got them off my swamp milkweed.  I haven’t seen them eat all day. I’m being a helicopter mom over them. I have floral tubes holding water to keep the milkweed fresh in the cage.

Love your Monarch.

Speaking of the milkweed. I go out every day and squish aphids. There was an infestation early on, but hey, I don’t mind yellow fingertips. Aphid guts. It washes off. But I did see an insect similar to a grasshopper (but not one) chomping on the milkweed. I grabbed it in my fist and it bit me. Sharply. I was horrified and jumped like a...er...grasshopper. I won’t do that again. I barely fought off panic. :D

Better get checked out for Covid 19.

Allan

Just now, chris_rabe said:

Love that with the reflection. 

Thanks Chris. It's not the best angle, I would have preferred more sideways, but it was a bit challenging from a moving boat. I got lucky with the light.

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

Thanks Chris. It's not the best angle, I would have preferred more sideways, but it was a bit challenging from a moving boat. I got lucky with the light.

I think you nailed it. It's terrifying.

No competition from me! A female speckled bush-cricket, leptophytes punctatissima, found on our stained-glass front door and persuaded inside for a sitting. A bit camera-shy after a while, I don't think she liked the modelling light.

DSC05799.jpg

She would only sit still on this ruler.

Nothing like nice clean antennae.

DSC05806.jpg

Edited by spacecadet

This Robin has been around all summer. He was following me as I was landscaping our garden and I was feeding him worms as I found them. He’s really tame now and I was not much more than an arms length away when I took this..

a-european-robin-erithacus-rubecula-comm

• Love 4

10 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

This Robin has been around all summer. He was following me as I was landscaping our garden and I was feeding him worms as I found them. He’s really tame now and I was not much more than an arms length away when I took this..

Aww, you’ve got a friend!    
https://tinyurl.com/y4uehckf

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Martin L said:

If people haven't seen these already, some are just amazing

https://www.birdpoty.co.uk/2020-finalists

Outstanding images. I like the one of the blackbird feeding a huge bird not of its kind. I kid you not, if a errant egg was laid in the blackbird’s nest, the parents were stuck with feeding an insatiable appetite. Not fair! 😊

On 08/09/2020 at 08:21, Steve Hyde said:

It is amazing how many Robins only have one leg.

Allan

11 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

It is amazing how many Robins only have one leg.

Allan

:D We have a variety of one-legged birds here. Not just robins.

Sometimes I’m a one-legged bird when I’m scratching a mosquito bite on the back of my leg with the other foot.

I like to think of myself like this. Graceful.  And yes, I’m a bit nosy.

black-tailed-godwit-limosa-limosa-stands

In actuality, I’m probably picking my nose on a bad-hair day.

west-african-black-or-black-necked-crown

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

Not quite nature but transplanted from Holland.....OH's birthday chrysanths. Very yellow.

I used this one elsewhere to illustrate the advantages of controlled lighting. This is the LR export from RAW, with no processing as such, only default NR and sharpening, not a slider touched. The colour is spot-on.

DSC00263-5.jpg

Edited by spacecadet