Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

I have a barely used 55-210 standing on my desk in front of me, my copy isn't very good, despite having had a return trip to see its maker. Much prefer my ancient and more limited, but heavy, Pentax 75-150 which cost all of £15.  Guess I have been unlucky with Sony zooms, I've yet to find a really good one. Probably a QC issue.  Hope yours delivers the goods.

Finding that I am carrying the RX100 V rather than my a6500 these days. I did use the a6500 to snap a diseased plant in the greenhouse yesterday, but that only involved a short walk!  The RX is not perfect, but mid frame, good light and low ISO (and only limited messing about in LR/PS), you can't tell the difference between it and the a6500.

Stopped looking for a replacement for my dodgy 19 mm sigma lens, the RX100 covers that base reasonably well most of the time.

I use the 55-210 quite a bit, even more since I've started fiddling around with video clips. It has its limits for sure, but I like the compactness. I'm still heavily into light. Why mine developed fungus is a bit of a mystery. Hopefully the "new" one will be more airtight. The considerably larger Sony E 70-350mm looks like a really nice lens. Too pricey for me, though. You're lucky to be so adept at using old MF lenses. Parsimony rules with financial returns being what they are.

I almost posted this in the "bad thing" thread but I think my outcome was pretty good.  A couple of weeks ago, I had a cardio stress test, along with a CT scan of my heart and my cardiologist saw some things that were concerning like possible blockages in vessels.  Well today, I underwent a heart catheterization procedure....I was pretty stressed about it so I didn't really want to mention it here until it was over.  Things went pretty well, no obvious blockages but still saw things he wants to address through medicine and diet/exercise.  The best part of today was that this was scheduled at the hospital where my daughter works and I was treated extra special, since most people knew her and she was able to come and hang with me thru it all right after working her 12 hour shift.  Even one of the guys working on the surgical team scheduled himself to be part of the team since he dates my daughter's housemate, who is also a nurse there.  I did not know that until afterwards.     Once I was discharged, we got a quick late lunch and she drove me home.  She is now sleeping in my bed.....I think she deserves it more than I do.

Sorry no photos to post, sometimes you just have to leave the camera at home.  Oh, I did take this gem with my iPhone before getting wheeled into the OR

IMG_0638

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 4
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I almost posted this in the "bad thing" thread but I think my outcome was pretty good.  A couple of weeks ago, I had a cardio stress test, along with a CT scan of my heart and my cardiologist saw some things that were concerning like possible blockages in vessels.  Well today, I underwent a heart catheterization procedure....I was pretty stressed about it so I didn't really want to mention it here until it was over.  Things went pretty well, no obvious blockages but still saw things he wants to address through medicine and diet/exercise.  The best part of today was that this was scheduled at the hospital where my daughter works and I was treated extra special, since most people knew her and she was able to come and hang with me thru it all right after working her 12 hour shift.  Even one of the guys working on the surgical team scheduled himself to be part of the team since he dates my daughter's housemate, who is also a nurse there.  I did not know that until afterwards.     Once I was discharged, we got a quick late lunch and she drove me home.  She is now sleeping in my bed.....I think she deserves it more than I do.

Sorry no photos to post, sometimes you just have to leave the camera at home.  Oh, I did take this gem with my iPhone before getting wheeled into the OR

IMG_0638

St*imo!

wim

• Love 1

Oh my goodness! Glad it all turned out to be ok. I had one of those when I was 40. It was a bit scary, and a major relief afterwards. How wonderful that you were treated like a king by your daughter and her associates. Sounds like you were, and still are, in great hands!

Edited by Cecile Marion
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thanks, wim. I was scratching my head for a moment.

Haha!

O-C-K not U-C-K, just in case.. oh never mind..😁

Of course I was dead serious. 😇

Of course.

wim

• Love 1

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

It's probably in the DNA as well.

I've great grandfathers from Cornwall in the deep south and Scotland to the North, so covering a lot of bases within the UK and highly likely. 

However they reckon the domestic cat has the closest match to human DNA.  I'm more of a dog man myself.

• Love 1

Hit 300 sales today.

Small fry to many I know.

At one point I was up to 10 sales per month. But the last 3 years have been very poor. Think I got to 250 sales 3 years ago !

Had a lay off the past 2 years due to work/study now aim to work harder once again. 

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Conversation in our house yesterday.

Me "Oooh I've sold a picture of Horsely!"

Mrs Standfast "Horsely?  Where's that?"

Me "Usually in front of the Cartly...."

After 40 odd years she's still very patient.

(Horsely is a small cotsold village)

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

IMG_0638

Anti-skid socks? They're great, I have some. Great news Michael ! I bet you're glad the experience is behind you. It must have been comforting to have your daughter around. 

• Love 1

46 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I'm probably missing something, but to us Brits it seems odd to go through such an invasive procedure just for a "look round" as it were!

Yeah! It is usually a few taps on the chest and back then a quick stethoscope sounding and "You'll live". Your 10 minutes are up.

Allan

Ops wrong thread. Deleted.

NO I was in the correct thread.  Try again.

A bit late but this happened yesterday.

Was in Lincoln and popped into the camera shop, which I have been in a few times and bought nothing, and when asked if I was looking for anything specific I said "A 10 - 18 lens".

As I had asked before and the reply had always been they did not have one I was taken by surprise when the assistant said "Yes we have a S/H one". so tried it out on my camera, which I just happened to have with me, and it was fine. I said I would take it and he boxed it up and I paid. Reasonable price.

I then said "I don't suppose you have a S/H A6600 in" and he said "no but he did have some in the other day but they had all gone. Me "I wish I had known".

He then said he had a S/H A6500 in stock. So I had a look at it and it looked like new. Again a very reasonable price so I had to have it.

I'm calling those two buys my early Christmas present.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I'm probably missing something, but to us Brits it seems odd to go through such an invasive procedure just for a "look round" as it were!

Yes, I can see why you would say that.  I did not go into the details of why he called for the heart cath but he said that after viewing my heart CT scan and stress test, my "ejection fraction" was alarmingly low....my daughter saw that too when she read the results.  Ejection fraction is how much blood is being pumped out vs how much is taken in.  This is not a good thing, to have it low. It can be caused by blockages, arteries hardening, among other things. An inefficient heart can cause shortness of breath and fluid build up in lungs and legs. So he felt he needed to rule out blockages as those need a stent or bypass and need to be addressed ASAP.  So since that was ruled out, we need to work on the other causes and do what can be done.  So, I still have some work ahead of me.  Going back to his office for an echocardiogram next week.

Oh, I should have mentioned that the heart catheterization is not considered invasive by definition, only because they don't have to open you up to do this....they go thru a small hole in your wrist or groin (in my case my wrist) and, if all goes well, you are sent home the same day.  But it has to be done in a hospital setting due to the risks involved (that was a bit unsettling).  The actual risks are low but if things go wrong, you want to be is a hospital to deal with those risk elements, such as excessive bleeding, stroke or heart attack. Those happen in less than 1% of cases.  

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Ops wrong thread. Deleted.

NO I was in the correct thread.  Try again.

A bit late but this happened yesterday.

Was in Lincoln and popped into the camera shop, which I have been in a few times and bought nothing, and when asked if I was looking for anything specific I said "A 10 - 18 lens".

As I had asked before and the reply had always been they did not have one I was taken by surprise when the assistant said "Yes we have a S/H one". so tried it out on my camera, which I just happened to have with me, and it was fine. I said I would take it and he boxed it up and I paid. Reasonable price.

I then said "I don't suppose you have a S/H A6600 in" and he said "no but he did have some in the other day but they had all gone. Me "I wish I had known".

He then said he had a S/H A6500 in stock. So I had a look at it and it looked like new. Again a very reasonable price so I had to have it.

I'm calling those two buys my early Christmas present.

Allan

Happy Christmas Allan!

• Thanks 1

Good on you, MV! I've been through 4 or 5 of those events, and I have 7 stens in my heart. And so it goes. Not had a heart attack nor a stroke. But, hey — I have no plan to live forever. 

Stay well, Michael — you have a prize daughter. 

• Love 2

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

Anti-skid socks? They're great, I have some. Great news Michael ! I bet you're glad the experience is behind you. It must have been comforting to have your daughter around. 

Yes very comforting to have her around but sometimes she tells me too much,  like stories of when things go badly.  I didn’t need to hear those stories.  But still better than being alone.  Most hospitals are still not allowing family to be with you due to Covid but since she works there, this was not an issue.

• Love 1

39 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good on you, MV! I've been through 4 or 5 of those events, and I have 7 stens in my heart. And so it goes. Not had a heart attack nor a stroke. But, hey — I have no plan to live forever. 

Stay well, Michael — you have a prize daughter. 

Thanks Edo, I’m trying to keep well.  Sounds like you are a veteran of these sorts of things.  You are proof that these procedures  are worth doing!

In Saigon, I had a girl friend, an American nurse at a military hospital. She would tell me stories of what had happened to some troopers. I had to stop seeing her because I became afraid to go out with the patrols. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Conversation in our house yesterday.

Me "Oooh I've sold a picture of Horsely!"

Mrs Standfast "Horsely?  Where's that?"

Me "Usually in front of the Cartly...."

After 40 odd years she's still very patient.

(Horsely is a small cotsold village)

You made me laugh out loud. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes very comforting to have her around but sometimes she tells me too much,  like stories of when things go badly.  I didn’t need to hear those stories.  But still better than being alone.  Most hospitals are still not allowing family to be with you due to Covid but since she works there, this was not an issue.

That reminds me of when I was in the hospital with acute bronchial asthma caused by a strep infection. I was hooked up to oxygen and was being given meds to keep me breathing. This was before they knew strep (I was allergic to the toxin strep throws off) was the culprit.  
My husband’s aunt visited and asked what I was on. When I listed Cortizone (cortisol) as one of them, she informed me it would dissolve all of my cartilage and cripple me, when all the doctor was doing was trying to keep me alive. She frightened me when I was at my very lowest. A day or two later I had a respiratory arrest and was barely saved. After that, the tests showed the strep.

Long-term cortisone isn’t good for the joints, but in my shorter-term use was ok. I didn’t know that at the time. I always resented her a bit for her lack of tact when I was so ill. I was 24 with three young children 7 and under. Yes, a mom at 17 before you do the math.

13 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Haha!

O-C-K not U-C-K, just in case.. oh never mind..😁

Of course I was dead serious. 😇

Of course.

wim

When Michael said “cell phone” I immediately wondered how he got the picture accepted. A very DUH moment for me. Great shot, Michael!

• Alamy locked this topic