Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

7 hours ago, NYCat said:

Now that I know the name of the variety I get I see there are a lot of images on Alamy.

Paulette

According to this arthritis website, several fruits are anti inflammatory..

https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/nutrition/healthy-eating/best-fruits-for-arthritis

it seems this is the cherry that does the most good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorency_cherry

Edited by Betty LaRue

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

According to this arthritis website, several fruits are anti inflammatory..

https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/nutrition/healthy-eating/best-fruits-for-arthritis

it seems this is the cherry that does the most good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorency_cherry

Even if their beneficial effect is minimal, every little helps, and better still cherries taste delicious. We had a bag full of large cherries from a local market, surprised there’s still a few left.

Visited the fairly local Tetsworth car boot sale earlier. My wife and I arrived only 20 minutes after opening to the punters and the car park was almost full. The ‘keep 2M apart signs were mostly being ignored, but it was still possible to keep safely apart. Picked up a few  useful bargains. Mainly screws, a 28mm wood bit, and a long thin filler knife/scraper that will be better than my current one for assisting the removal of batteries bonded into Apple computers. Hadn’t visited for some time. Just took the the RX100 with me, but used it very little. The light was far too harsh. I cursed that I didn’t have it in my hands when a stall holder took my cash in a metal strainer taped to a long pole. Now sitting in my garden drinking earl grey, but not for much longer. Too hot and the bright sun is wiping out my phone screen

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 1

Paulette, cherries, sour or sweet should help your arthritis. The ones I get in M&S are sweet. I also eat red raspberries, black berries, strawberries, and blue berries. What is truly annoying is the fact that many foods that are good for my health are bad for gout. My gout is mild. It started just over a year ago.

Edited by Ed Rooney

Sorry about the gout, Ed. My father had it too. Some of this info on cherries and berries says it is supposed to help with gout. You will know best, having personal experience. I have berries with my cereal every morning so I guess I am doing well. The only big problem I have had with my arthritis has been the one foot. I am doing better with it.

Paulette

Good thing to see that the "Good thing" thread is about twice as many pages as the "Bad thing" thread.

Allan

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Paulette, cherries, sour or sweet should help your arthritis. The ones I get in M&S are sweet. I also eat red raspberries, black berries, strawberries, and blue berries. What is truly annoying is the fact that many foods that are good for my health are bad for gout. My gout is mild. It started just over a year ago.

Edo, I got diagnosed with gout about 5-6 years ago and it was super painful then but I have been on a drug called Allopurinol (I take once in the morning and once in the evening), I have not had any gout related pain or flare-ups in about 3 years!  I'm glad to hear that yours is mild, when I was getting flare-ups, it made it difficult to even walk. Felt like I had shards of glass in my feet.

Thanks, Michael. I'll try to ask at NHS about that med. I've seen it mentioned in my research. Gout does inhibit my walking. I have it in toes on both feet and in one joint of my right hand. 

If your feet are bad, it throws everything off. I had a neuroma wrapped around a toe nerve once. It felt like I was walking with a petrified pea in my shoe under my next-to-pinkie-toe. As a result, I walked on the inside of my foot which caused pain in my ankle, my knee, and my hip.  
My job (workman’s comp insurance) required dressy clothes and shoes, and the thin leather soles and pointed style at the time killed me. I had to walk from one end of the building to the other, about half a city block long, to the copy machine and back, about once an hour.

Surgery fixed me, but it doesn’t help gout. I listen to a sports radio show, and one of the guys there says gout (he suffers with it) is more painful than anything he’s ever had. He played college football and pro baseball, so I’m sure he dealt with injuries.

Isn’t rich food, wine and shellfish bad for gout?

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

If your feet are bad, it throws everything off. I had a neuroma wrapped around a toe nerve once. It felt like I was walking with a petrified pea in my shoe under my next-to-pinkie-toe. As a result, I walked on the inside of my foot which caused pain in my ankle, my knee, and my hip.  
My job (workman’s comp insurance) required dressy clothes and shoes, and the thin leather soles and pointed style at the time killed me. I had to walk from one end of the building to the other, about half a city block long, to the copy machine and back, about once an hour.

Surgery fixed me, but it doesn’t help gout. I listen to a sports radio show, and one of the guys there says gout (he suffers with it) is more painful than anything he’s ever had. He played college football and pro baseball, so I’m sure he dealt with injuries.

Yes, that’s my understanding too, about the foods and alcohol.  I drink very little alcohol, so no problem there.  I get blood work done every few months and they check for uric acid levels, which is what builds up in your joints, as crystals, mostly at your extremities (toes and fingers).  Since taking the Allopurinol, my uric acid levels have been in the normal range.  And yes, the pain I experienced was some of the worst I have ever felt.

On a happier note, I had a nice visit from my daughter today.  I made her an early dinner before her night shift at the local firehouse…she volunteers every Sunday night.  Of course having my DNA (being forgetful), she left part of her uniform at my house so I had to run it by the station.

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, but beer is worst than wine and lots of kinds of fish are bad as well. Tuna is bad. Salmon is not bad. Gall stones are the worst pain I've had. My gallbladder has been removed. My toes I'd like to keep. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

16 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have been on a drug called Allopurinol

When I had an attack of gout - sooooo painful - I used to take some pills. They would work, kind of, but I knew I would still have a couple of days of pain to endure.

Went back to my doc, who put me onto a daily dose of Allopurinol. Haven't had any more gout since then... 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Gall stones are the worst pain I've had. My gallbladder has been removed. 

I agree with you there Ed. I mostly reduce gall bladder attacks with a careful diet but when I do get an attack, oh boy! Not as bad as childbirth but getting close!! Should have had mine out a couple of years ago but bottled out…

I took a shower this morning in my own bathroom! Yippeee. I still have more to come with them taking my sink off the wall and opening a big hole to fix pipes. No word about when that will happen. My cat Possum had urinary issues last night but seems better this AM. I have a call out to the vet to see if maybe I can just pick up meds. I have an appointment in case he thinks it's worth it to bring him in.

Paulette

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

I agree with you there Ed. I mostly reduce gall bladder attacks with a careful diet but when I do get an attack, oh boy! Not as bad as childbirth but getting close!! Should have had mine out a couple of years ago but bottled out…

I’ve had two GB attacks. Yes, very painful. Once after having 3 pieces of pizza and a small salad. Apparently, I passed the stone because the recent tests I’ve had found nothing. It’s the attacks that don’t resolve themselves that force you to go under the knife. Both of my sisters have had their GBs removed, so I’m on borrowed time, probably.

Kidney stones aren’t fun, either.  It it’s been years since my last attack of those. I think that’s because I no longer can do the hard, heavy, sweaty outdoor work I used to do that probably left me dehydrated and brought on an episode.

I’ve always had a burning curiosity about anything medical. When the doctor I worked for had surgery for his kidney stone, (after playing a sweaty round of tennis) I visited him in the hospital. After exchanging pleasantries, I nervously asked to see his incision.  Yeah, that was cheeky of me. His eyebrows shot up, then settled, then he showed me. I’d worked for him long enough by then that he understood and actually liked my quest for knowledge. I actually saw his expression turn from surprise to relaxed understanding. 

Amazing how one’s facial muscles speak even when the lips are closed.

I studied the incision and counted stitches.

18 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve had two GB attacks. Yes, very painful. Once after having 3 pieces of pizza and a small salad. Apparently, I passed the stone because the recent tests I’ve had found nothing. It’s the attacks that don’t resolve themselves that force you to go under the knife. Both of my sisters have had their GBs removed, so I’m on borrowed time, probably.

Kidney stones aren’t fun, either.  It it’s been years since my last attack of those. I think that’s because I no longer can do the hard, heavy, sweaty outdoor work I used to do that probably left me dehydrated and brought on an episode.

I’ve always had a burning curiosity about anything medical. When the doctor I worked for had surgery for his kidney stone, (after playing a sweaty round of tennis) I visited him in the hospital. After exchanging pleasantries, I nervously asked to see his incision.  Yeah, that was cheeky of me. His eyebrows shot up, then settled, then he showed me. I’d worked for him long enough by then that he understood and actually liked my quest for knowledge. I actually saw his expression turn from surprise to relaxed understanding. 

Amazing how one’s facial muscles speak even when the lips are closed.

I studied the incision and counted stitches.

Good job it wasn't a vasectomy 

Even dogs can read expression changes. I bet Echo has you figured out. 

I've had kidney stones too. If a gallstone is large and gets stuck in the common bile duck, you're in for it. 

Thanks to John and Michael and others for telling me about the gout med. I'll get it sorted out soon with the NHS. It's covid time and this is not a sucking chest wound, so poco a poco.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Martin L said:

Good job it wasn't a vasectomy 

😂🤣😁Alright, Allan. Martin has thrown down the gauntlet on who is the funniest.

Edited by Betty LaRue

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Even dogs can read expression changes. I bet Echo has you figured out. 

I've had kidney stones too. If a gallstone is large and gets stuck in the common bile duck, you're in for it. 

Thanks to John and Michael and others for telling me about the gout med. I'll get it sorted out soon with the NHS. It's covid time and this is not a sucking chest wound, so poco a poco.

Yeah, Edo, Echo has my number. I bought her some new toys a few weeks ago. She chewed one down to a round ball, decided it was a good chick substitute, and is brooding it. I’ve had her 25 years and this is the first time she’s exhibited this behavior. I have to take the toy out of the cage every day or she wouldn’t eat much. I let her have it at night. She’s on her stand right now, grooming her feathers.
She loves hanging out on my shoulder while I do chores, making contented noises and kissing my cheek.

When I bend over to unload the dishwasher, gravity causes her to end up dangling upside down, with her claws hanging onto my shirt. 😁 She’s quite the acrobat. I give her shower baths in my kitchen sink with the spray nozzle. Cute to watch her spread her wings and rotate under the spray like a feathered ballerina in a music box.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, that’s my understanding too, about the foods and alcohol.  I drink very little alcohol, so no problem there.  I get blood work done every few months and they check for uric acid levels, which is what builds up in your joints, as crystals, mostly at your extremities (toes and fingers).  Since taking the Allopurinol, my uric acid levels have been in the normal range.  And yes, the pain I experienced was some of the worst I have ever felt.

I noticed you didn’t mention cutting out rich food. 😁

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

😂🤣😁Alright, Allan. Martin has thrown down the gauntlet on who is the funniest.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Allan

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have my vices 😬

I have my sweet tooth. And a small sack of fun-size snickers.

Although I’d rather eat these.

FX1JR6.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic