Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

15 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Many years ago when I lived in Malaya we used to get Elephants from the local logging camp come into the gardens at night, Banana,Water melon etc all fair fodder. My mother was warned by the locals not to bother growing fruit, but she a typical colonial wife straight out of UK new better!! I remember her scolding my father "We should put up a fence" my father" "Yes dear what size do you suggest to keep out a 4 ton hungry animal" mother " Now your just being awkward"😏

Andy.

😀

32 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Many years ago when I lived in Malaya we used to get Elephants from the local logging camp come into the gardens at night, Banana,Water melon etc all fair fodder. My mother was warned by the locals not to bother growing fruit, but she a typical colonial wife straight out of UK new better!! I remember her scolding my father "We should put up a fence" my father" "Yes dear what size do you suggest to keep out a 4 ton hungry animal" mother " Now your just being awkward"😏

Andy.

Save the Elephants in Kenya helps the farmers make "Beehive fences". Elephants avoid the bees and there is the benefit of honey also.

Paulette

3 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Save the Elephants in Kenya helps the farmers make "Beehive fences". Elephants avoid the bees and there is the benefit of honey also.

Paulette

Absolutely I have seen those little boxes with an entrance hanging off the wire fences around the fields. Anything shaking the fence and they will attack it, African Honey Bee's are very aggressive near their own hives. Its a win win solution.

Andy

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Well, they do breed like…rabbits! 😂

Today drove through really bad torrential rain, now settled into our accommodation. Might nip out later if the rain stops.

The rabbits were fast breeders. I'd prefer fast breeder rabbits any day to a nasty fast breeder reactor.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

How smart, with the bee hives. I never thought elephants would break into homes, like bears and monkeys do. I thought they were hay and grass eaters. I learn something every day. And I never would have imagined bees could do damage to elephant hide. But the trunk tip, lips, eyes and ears probably are vulnerable. Must be, or the beehives wouldn’t deter them.

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

How smart, with the bee hives. I never thought elephants would break into homes, like bears and monkeys do. I thought they were hay and grass eaters. I learn something every day. And I never would have imagined bees could do damage to elephant hide. But the trunk tip, lips, eyes and ears probably are vulnerable. Must be, or the beehives wouldn’t deter them.

Their skin is actually very sensitive. That's why they give themselves dust baths. It protects the skin from the sun and from insects. I don't suppose that would work for you and mosquito bites.

Paulette

2 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Living in the UK? Check your council tax band.

I checked mine, challenged it and have just got back a sizeable reimbursement for years of over payment. That's a very good thing!

Excellent! Pleased to hear someone has screwed the system. Even if it is legal.

The tax man cometh!😀

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Excellent! Pleased to hear someone has screwed the system. Even if it is legal.

The tax man cometh!😀

Allan

.....................the other good thing, my future bills also reduced to a lower band! 

• Like 1

On 04/07/2021 at 05:27, NYCat said:

Their skin is actually very sensitive. That's why they give themselves dust baths. It protects the skin from the sun and from insects. I don't suppose that would work for you and mosquito bites.

Paulette

No, but a moistened Bounce (brand) sheet rubbed on my skin repels them. Slimy at first, but dries, and my skin smells good. 😊

2 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

.....................the other good thing, my future bills also reduced to a lower band! 

I already get a 25% reduction on my CT.

Allan

• Like 1

We went to Ikea today and I came home without having anything to put together. Even better though, I also had my first KFC, sat in the restaurant, in about two years. Just as 'Finger Lickin' Good' as I remember it being  🙂

• Love 1

Just picked up the wife's Brompton bike from our local repair man, the Sturmey Archer 3 speed had ceased to work. This is a well loved and much used bicycle, rarely a day passes without it turning a wheel.

Fortunately he had the necessary spare part in stock and was able to fix it. Apparently Brompton don't hold spares for the hub, and will sell you a new unit, but you can buy spares from the Sturmey importer. 

We’ve been fighting over sharing  my Brompton over the last couple of weeks, glad to have it back in my sole possession.  🙂

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Just picked up the wife's Brompton bike from our local repair man, the Sturmey Archer 3 speed had ceased to work. This is a well loved and much used bicycle, rarely a day passes without it turning a wheel.

Fortunately he had the necessary spare part in stock and was able to fix it. Apparently Brompton don't hold spares for the hub, and will sell you a new unit, but you can buy spares from the Sturmey importer. 

We’ve been fighting over sharing  my Brompton over the last couple of weeks, glad to have it back in my sole possession.  🙂

I wonder what was wrong? They are bulletproof. Replacement trigger, or indicator spindle? Have a look here another time. Sheldon Brown was the man, American but loved 3-steeds. speeds, see what I did there?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer_3-spd.html

eBay is the place for bike parts these days. We changed our rear sprockets a few years ago in a concession to gradients, which seem to get steeper;)

I assume you oil the hub regularly. They like that.

Edited by spacecadet

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I wonder what was wrong? They are bulletproof. Replacement trigger, or indicator spindle? Have a look here another time. Sheldon Brown was the man, American but loved 3-steeds. speeds, see what I did there?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer_3-spd.html

eBay is the place for bike parts these days. We changed our rear sprockets a few years ago in a concession to gradients, which seem to get steeper;)

I assume you oil the hub regularly. They like that.

A component had failed within the hub, looked like a cover over the freewheel pawls. Both that and the freewheel unit were replaced. I had previously replaced the little piece of metal that the selector screws into. I put it down to violent gearchanging by swmbo. It's the BWR hub, a special made just for Brompton. Mine has been fine. The bike has led a hard life.

I bought a Martin left-handed acoustic guitar today. I drove 400 miles round trip to Oklahoma City to do it. Left-handed guitars are hard to find. The shops just don’t stock them much. I haven’t played in many years.

This shows how optimistic I am…someone with arthritic hands who hopes to build calluses on my finger tips and wrap them around the neck of a guitar and bend them to the strings.

I’ll be starting from scratch. I’ve forgotten all of my chords.

My grandson plays right-handed even though he’s left-handed. I never could, I tried it. The shop owner called me a “hard” left-hander. I could never find the rhythm when trying to strum with my right, and got the pick tangled up in the strings. People who are soft left-handers usually can learn to play right handed with persistence, because they have better fine control of their right hands than I do.

My right hand can hold a Margarita just fine. And even hit my lips with the rim of the glass most of the time.

• Love 2

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I bought a Martin left-handed acoustic guitar today. I drove 400 miles round trip to Oklahoma City to do it. Left-handed guitars are hard to find. The shops just don’t stock them much. I haven’t played in many years.

This shows how optimistic I am…someone with arthritic hands who hopes to build calluses on my finger tips and wrap them around the neck of a guitar and bend them to the strings.

My grandson plays right-handed even though he’s left-handed. I never could, I tried it. The shop owner called me a “hard” left-hander. I could never find the rhythm when trying to strum with my right, and got the pick tangled up in the strings. People who are soft left-handers usually can learn to play right handed with persistence, because they have better fine control of their right hands than I do.

My right hand can hold a Margarita just fine. And even hit my lips with the rim of the glass most of the time.

That’s a great read - I’m a guitarist too. I’ve been in a few bands over the years although I’m too old and don’t have enough time these days. Good luck with picking it up again.  Martins are great guitars. 

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

A component had failed within the hub, looked like a cover over the freewheel pawls. Both that and the freewheel unit were replaced. I had previously replaced the little piece of metal that the selector screws into. I put it down to violent gearchanging by swmbo. It's the BWR hub, a special made just for Brompton. Mine has been fine. The bike has led a hard life.

Wow. Never known an internal failure, that would probably be beyond me. I have never been in there. I suppose if you pedal through gear changes instead of backing off it might wear faster, but otherwise I don't know how you abuse a 3-speed!

Not much you can do except keep up the lubrication I suppose.

Edited by spacecadet

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

This right handed/left handed thing is a funny animal.

Explanation below.

I am classed as LEFT handed because I use a pen, paint brush, screw driver, etc. in my left hand.

If I play football I also use my left foot to kick the ball so am left footed.

I hold a tennis racket in my left hand.

A rifle is also held left handed

Now if I play cricket I hold the bat the RIGHT handed way.

If i pick up a guitar it is the RIGHT handed way.

I also swing a golf club the RIGHT handed way.

Knife and fork are held/used the RIGHT handed way too.

I am NOT ambidextrous either.

Does not make any sense.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

21 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

This right handed/left handed thing is a funny animal.

Explanation below.

I am classed as LEFT handed because I use a pen, paint brush, screw driver, etc. in my left hand.

If I play football I also use my left foot to kick the ball so am left footed.

I hold a tennis racket in my left hand.

A rifle is also held left handed

Now if I play cricket I hold the bat the RIGHT handed way.

If i pick up a guitar it is the RIGHT handed way.

I also swing a golf club the RIGHT handed way.

Knife and fork are held/used the RIGHT handed way too.

I am NOT ambidextrous either.

Does not make any sense.

Allan

Other half is also left handed or South paw (just learnt that expression and love it) and is also a mystery.

Writing: left hand

Hedge cutter: left hand

Guitar: right handed way

Ping-pong: right hand. And he plays very well, he beats me and I'm pretty good at it! Damn it!

• Alamy locked this topic