Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

5 hours ago, Colblimp said:

That’s a great read - I’m a guitarist too. I’ve been in a few bands over the years although I’m too old and don’t have enough time these days. Good luck with picking it up again.  Martins are great guitars. 

As an optimist, I always think, “I can do this” until proven differently. It works a lot of the time, until I contemplate electronics. There, I am timid.

You aren’t too old. If nothing else, it’s a great way for “you” time, and to take your mind off problems. I remember once when my sister was strumming her husband’s guitar, and the two of us worked on a new song that had just become popular on the radio. She sang melody, I sang harmony, and there was a part where our sister voices blended so pure and sweet that I got cold chills. I remember it to this day. Nothing is a better stress reliever than music. Well, almost nothing.

It’s funny about left-handers, I hear a lot of stories like those above, people who mix it up. That is sooo not me. Although I think I’m right footed, if leading with the right foot when I stand up and begin walking is how you tell. I’m right-eyed.

Allan, if I put the stock of a rifle against my right shoulder, support with my left, pull the trigger with my right hand finger, am I shooting right or left? That has to do with being right-eyed to aim through the sight.

My son eats with his left and writes with his right. Sometimes I think soft left-handers are changed from hard because of adults who discourage left-handedness when they notice it. My husband took things out of my son’s left hand and put them in his right as soon as he was old enough to hold a rattle.

35 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Allan, if I put the stock of a rifle against my right shoulder, support with my left, pull the trigger with my right hand finger, am I shooting right or left? That has to do with being right-eyed to aim through the sight.

Hi Betty. As you describe holding a rifle that is Right handed.

I also look trough a camera VF with my Right eye but if I have a scope on the rifle I use my Left eye but even without a scope I still sight with my Left eye. Stock in left shoulder support with right hand and press the trigger with my left forefinger.   NOTE you do not pull the trigger and these days you do not even squeeze it.

As far as eyes go I am ambidextrous in that department.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

For anyone who doesn’t know this trick, here it is. Put both hands together, the length of your arms, leaving a hole between them.  That would be creating a hole with both thumbs and forefingers.  With both eyes open, look through the hole and center it on an object across the room that fills the hole. Now, close one eye while not moving your head or hands. Then close the other eye while still looking at the object.

Your dominant eye will leave the object dead center in the hole in your hands. The object will disappear from the hole with the non-dominant eye.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

For anyone who doesn’t know this trick, here it is. Put both hands together, the length of your arms, leaving a hole between them.  That would be creating a hole with both thumbs and forefingers.  With both eyes open, look through the hole and center it on an object across the room that fills the hole. Now, close one eye while not moving your head or hands. Then close the other eye while still looking at the object.

Your dominant eye will leave the object dead center in the hole in your hands. The object will disappear from the hole with the non-dominant eye.

I've now got this image of lots of different various people across the world squinting at a pot plant through their fingers 😄

1 minute ago, Martin L said:

I've now got this image of lots of different various people across the world squinting at a pot plant through their fingers 😄

You made me laugh out loud! 😂😂

On 05/07/2021 at 09:34, Dave Richards said:

Living in the UK? Check your council tax band.

I checked mine, challenged it and have just got back a sizeable reimbursement for years of over payment. That's a very good thing!

I know I've been over paying on my city council tax. In the lockdown, there's been no place to go to talk to them. What I dislike, is that all the mail notifications they send me read like threats. 

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I know I've been over paying on my city council tax. In the lockdown, there's been no place to go to talk to them. What I dislike, is that all the mail notifications they send me read like threats. 

Edo

Not good. Threats get my back up.

2 hours ago, Sally R said:

I just did Betty and, wow, it was an obvious difference between my left and right eye. Through my left eye the object stayed exactly where it was. Through the right eye it moved over to the right to be obscured by my hand. So I'm definitely left-eyed. Fascinating!

It’s really cool, isn’t it? I remember when I first did it, I was amazed at the shift. Do you look through the viewfinder with your left?

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s really cool, isn’t it? I remember when I first did it, I was amazed at the shift. Do you look through the viewfinder with your left?

Just tried your little experiment. First couple of times my Right eye came up as dominant. Then I tried again and really concentrated and the Left eye came up as Dominant.

My reasoning for that is I have a weak muscle in my left eye which, when I am not concentrating on a subject, it allows the left eye to wonder to the left so I am really seeing with my right eye.

The funny thing is I can get someone to watch my eyes closely and make it look as if the left eye comes in from the left hand side to the right and my right eye continues from the left to the right hand side. Also works the opposite way too.

Allan

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

Probably no good going direct to your council. I think you should deal with it through the Valuation Office Agency. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Just tried your little experiment. First couple of times my Right eye came up as dominant. Then I tried again and really concentrated and the Left eye came up as Dominant.

My reasoning for that is I have a weak muscle in my left eye which, when I am not concentrating on a subject, it allows the left eye to wonder to the left so I am really seeing with my right eye.

The funny thing is I can get someone to watch my eyes closely and make it look as if the left eye comes in from the left hand side to the right and my right eye continues from the left to the right hand side. Also works the opposite way too.

Allan

Of course, you have to be different! 😊

If your right eye had been patched as a child (under 6 or 7) for a couple of months, the left might have been strengthened. Patching the strong eye forces the left (or whichever is weak) to do all of the work and makes it strong.  That’s what the ophthalmologist I worked for did. If that didn’t work, he did surgery and corrected it. I saw children who saw 20-50 in the weak eye get to 20-20 with a straight eye with simple patching.

no sale yet - joined Alamy just June 23rd with 25 pics as of today - but:
I consider it a good thing to have my first view 🙂 
Everybody starts somewhere, right? 

BT

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Of course, you have to be different! 😊

If your right eye had been patched as a child (under 6 or 7) for a couple of months, the left might have been strengthened. Patching the strong eye forces the left (or whichever is weak) to do all of the work and makes it strong.  That’s what the ophthalmologist I worked for did. If that didn’t work, he did surgery and corrected it. I saw children who saw 20-50 in the weak eye get to 20-20 with a straight eye with simple patching.

I used to have to go to the eye infirmary to have eye exercises which helped a great deal so did not have patching or an operation.

The effect is only noticeable when I am tired then the eye wanders. But I can make it do it at will.

Will does not like it, it scares him.🤭

Allan

On 07/07/2021 at 17:18, Betty LaRue said:

Can't remember ever having done that before, but the pot plant disappeared when looking through my left eye. Very strange. Getting some new specs at the end of the week, interested to see if they make any difference.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have 45 tomatoes on my 3 plants, and I’ve picked 7. I’m obsessive about counting them. 😁

Ate our first red tomato yesterday, great taste. Currently trying an experiment, growing two plants one as a bush, the other as a cordon to see which yields the heavier crop. I should really weigh the crop, but not sure I have the patience. The variety is Gardener's Delight, normally grown as a cordon. We've got 20 plants in total. 12 under glass, the remainder outdoors. Some varieties, e.g Tumbler or Red Alert, will grow happily outdoors in our climate, while Gardener's Delight is a bit iffy, preferring a roof over its head.

Edited by Bryan

On 07/07/2021 at 12:18, Betty LaRue said:

Very cool Betty!

• Love 1

21 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have 45 tomatoes on my 3 plants, and I’ve picked 7. I’m obsessive about counting them. 😁

That means you only have 36 tomatoes left.

Allan

A new 2 seater sofa was delivered today to replace one that had been badly mauled by our cat. Come to think of it, all of the sofa's we have had over the past 40+ years have been replaced due to our adorable cats. Had a difficult time getting it into our front room, it is larger that the previous one, but is extremely comfortable.

Edited by sb photos

Nearly had a bust-up with a neighbour, who has erected a garden shed against the back wall of my tiny home - an old Sunday school - which would have made it impossible for me to re-paint the windows or re-point the brickwork. Having exchanged ‘a few words’ yesterday, I was planning to contact the local planning department for clarification.

This morning there was a knock on my door. “I’ve had a word with my wife”, the neighbour said, “and I’d like to apologise”. He said he’d move the shed to another part of their large garden, and I said that would be the end of the matter. Crisis averted… and from now on I’ll think of his wife as ‘the voice of reason’!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Nearly had a bust-up with a neighbour, who has erected a garden shed against the back wall of my tiny home - an old Sunday school - which would have made it impossible for me to re-paint the windows or re-point the brickwork. Having exchanged ‘a few words’ yesterday, I was planning to contact the local planning department for clarification.

This morning there was a knock on my door. “I’ve had a word with my wife”, the neighbour said, “and I’d like to apologise”. He said he’d move the shed to another part of their large garden, and I said that would be the end of the matter. Crisis averted… and from now on I’ll think of his wife as ‘the voice of reason’!

It is a shame when things like that happen. It spoils the rest of the day, well it does in my case.

Pleased it was settled amicably without having to involve the authorities.

Allan

21 hours ago, sb photos said:

A new 2 seater sofa was delivered today to replace one that had been badly mauled by our cat. Come to think of it, all of the sofa's we have had over the past 40+ years have been replaced due to our adorable cats. Had a difficult time getting it into our front room, it is larger that the previous one, but is extremely comfortable.

When my new sofa arrived last year the delivery men said that if it had of been a three seater they would have had to cut it in half to get it round the corner.

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic