Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

• Thyrsis's Cave, a natural cavern located in the Manifold Valley in Staffordshire, England

I’d not heard of this. We have a family holiday booked in the Peaks at the end of July so will have to go and find it!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steve F said:

(no offense Ed 🙃

I don't think Ed plays anymore since his guitar exploded.

Still, Liverpool..........somebody there might just possibly know something about guitars..........seems to ring a bell........something to do with insects..........;)

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I don't think Ed plays anymore since his guitar exploded.

Still, Liverpool..........somebody there might just possibly know something about guitars..........seems to ring a bell........something to do with insects..........;)

Bloomin' small guitars.

Allan

12 hours ago, Sally R said:

The Martin is considered a small, travel guitar like the Taylor but is a little bigger. Your Martin looks like a lovely guitar Betty.

That is what mine is, a travel guitar, or as the shop owner said, a small adult size. I am fighting my arthritis, it’s the pressure in my thumb joint from pressing on the backside of the neck. (Steve, it’s nothing to do with becoming limber in my fingers helping arthritis, but pressure on the joints. The more I practice, the longer pressure is on the joints..the more pain, swelling and inflammation.)

Curious…some of the video lessons I’ve watched say to wrap the thumb barely over the back of the neck, some say to position it straight flat along the neck back. How do y’all do it? Not on an electric, mind, but an acoustic.

3 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

That is what mine is, a travel guitar, or as the shop owner said, a small adult size. I am fighting my arthritis, it’s the pressure in my thumb joint from pressing on the backside of the neck. (Steve, it’s nothing to do with becoming limber in my fingers helping arthritis, but pressure on the joints. The more I practice, the longer pressure is on the joints..the more pain, swelling and inflammation.)

Curious…some of the video lessons I’ve watched say to wrap the thumb barely over the back of the neck, some say to position it straight flat along the neck back. How do y’all do it? Not on an electric, mind, but an acoustic.

I like to get both hands round the neck and strangle it.

Allan

Consider me cheap, sometimes. It’s raining today and I backed my car from the garage and let the rain give it a good, pounding shower bath. Pulled it back in, dried it off and no more dust or bug smears! Probably 90% of my car washes are done this way, with nice, soft rainwater.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sally R said:

I've done this too. Very convenient! Yesterday I drove to the ocean to go for a walk. Afterwards my car was covered in salt spray. A decent rain shower on the way home cleaned it all off again 😀

When walking close to the sea if I notice sticky salt residue on my glasses it is a warning to keep my camera's bagged until they are needed. Not so easy to clean a camera than a car.

On 15/07/2021 at 03:47, Sally R said:

I'd like to also get a more standard acoustic steel string (I have 3 nylon string guitars). I'd be looking for a small body again and I really like the Taylor GS Mini.

I also have a Fender Strat Copy but love the sound of Telecasters and the one you have looks great Steve.

Hi Sally,

Thanks, sounds great too 😃

I don't know what sort of music you play on the acoustic, but I know if I ever buy one again, I'm going to get one with a cutout below the neck so it's not a struggle to go past fret 12. This is the main thing that bugs me when I go from electric to acoustic now, that the body gets in the way of moving higher up the neck.

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Oh dear, sorry that you can't play longer with practice.... 😒

I assume you can do that with a narrow neck acoustic. I generally play with my thumb behind the neck, but you can curl over to fret or mute the E string with it.

It's hard to play many jazz chords if you wrap the thumb on the neck. 

Betty: Studies, which often use the concentrated juice of Montmorency cherries, have found tart cherries may relieve joint pain in people with osteoarthritis (OA) and lower the risk of flares in those with gout. 

Cherries seem to be helping me. But I have another anti-guitar problem: essential tremor. That keeps me from playing lead guitar or being comfortable using a pick. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

10 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

These guys all look as if they get in the morning and spend too much time giving themselves a hug. 

Ha ha Ed 😅

"Beetlebum" was inspired by the drug experiences Damon Albarn had with his then-girlfriend, Justine Frischmann of Elastica.

Typical rockers getting high in their youth

Try this!

Edited by Steve F

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

It's hard to play many jazz chords if you wrap the thumb on the neck. 

Betty: Studies, which often use the concentrated juice of Montmorency cherries, have found tart cherries may relieve joint pain in people with osteoarthritis (OA) and lower the risk of flares in those with gout. 

Cherries seem to be helping me. But I have another anti-guitar problem: essential tremor. That keeps me from playing lead guitar or being comfortable using a pick. 

Thanks for the tip about cherries. I love them but they are expensive and now I can call them "medicine" and spend the money!

Paulette

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

Ha ha Ed 😅

"Beetlebum" was inspired by the drug experiences Damon Albarn had with his then-girlfriend, Justine Frischmann of Elastica.

Typical rockers getting high in their youth

Try this!

My favourite Blur song!

• Love 1

On 15/07/2021 at 14:06, Thyrsis said:

I’d not heard of this. We have a family holiday booked in the Peaks at the end of July so will have to go and find it!

I've not heard of Thyrsis's cave either and I don't live far from the Peak District and go walking there regularly.

There is, however, a Thor's Cave in the Manifold Valley (haven't got any pictures of it, note to self) and the valley itself is well worth a visit.

John.

7 hours ago, NYCat said:

I bought some expensive sour cherries this AM. Thank you, Edo.

Paulette

Hmmm, maybe I haven’t paid attention, but I thought the only cherries sold fresh were the big, sweet ones. How do you know if they are sour ones? Are they in the produce section? Or are you talking canned? I make cherry pies with the canned ones, and yes, they are sour. 😬😵💫 Until I add sugar!

The cherries advice is interesting.

24 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Hmmm, maybe I haven’t paid attention, but I thought the only cherries sold fresh were the big, sweet ones. How do you know if they are sour ones? Are they in the produce section? Or are you talking canned? I make cherry pies with the canned ones, and yes, they are sour. 😬😵💫 Until I add sugar!

I know around here, in the Mid-Atlantic, there are plenty of orchards growing and selling sour cherries....not so much sweet cherries.  Perhaps they don't grow as well here. Years ago, I shot a short photo story on a pick-your-own sour cherry farm and the vast majority of the customers were from the Middle East.  I talked to one family from Iran and they said it is a very popular fruit to cook with back in Iran.

• Love 1

This started as a bad thing, I discovered a slow puncture in one of the car's tyres just before we were about to set off for a mini break with our caravan.  Not to worry, I pumped up the tyre and drove to the nearest national chain dealer. They couldn't look at it until the following day, tried a second such place, nothing doing until much later that day, but they did recommend a small local independent mechanic down the road.  Went there and got immediate attention.

While it was being fixed I got into conversation with the owner and learned how he had built up the business over the last 20 years, but that he now felt that the end was nigh, that the move to electric vehicles would see an end to his type of operation.

His son was fixing my tyre, but arrangements had been made to have the lad take an apprenticeship working on wind turbines.  He was concerned that there would be insufficient electrical power available to cope with domestic, industrial and transport demand, and  that, in future, we would see fewer cars on the roads and improved public transport, with more people walking and cycling.  Despite this signalling the end of his career, he was quite upbeat about it, he wanted to retire and felt that the changes would be to the benefit of society.

Hadn't expected to hear this dialogue from a person in the motor trade,  interesting.......

• Love 3

15 hours ago, Stokie said:

I've not heard of Thyrsis's cave either and I don't live far from the Peak District and go walking there regularly.

There is, however, a Thor's Cave in the Manifold Valley (haven't got any pictures of it, note to self) and the valley itself is well worth a visit.

John.

It’s the same cave John, apparently it is better known as Thor's Cave but also as Thyrsis’s Cave! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, in the produce section and they aren't available very often. I would say they are just a bit tart, not really sour and they are juicy. I prefer them to the dark ones though those are great too. I was trying to find a photo of them on Alamy and the kind I get didn't seem to be here. Maybe I should fix that. Anyway, these are what mine look like... https://www.halegroves.com/blog/when-are-rainier-cherries-in-season/

Paulette

• Love 1

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Yes, in the produce section and they aren't available very often. I would say they are just a bit tart, not really sour and they are juicy. I prefer them to the dark ones though those are great too. I was trying to find a photo of them on Alamy and the kind I get didn't seem to be here. Maybe I should fix that. Anyway, these are what mine look like... https://www.halegroves.com/blog/when-are-rainier-cherries-in-season/

Paulette

Okay!! Now I know. I think I saw some of those in the store yesterday, before I read about cherries.

• Alamy locked this topic