Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Four of my five Monarch caterpillars have formed a chrysalis. The last is preparing to J hook, then will form a chrysalis by tomorrow evening. I finally won’t have to keep harvesting milkweed to feed them, they eat a lot of leaves. It’ll be next Friday at the very earliest before the first butterfly emerges, but probably a few days later than that.

There are far fewer butterflies of any kind this year. The horrible deep freeze we had for 12 days in late winter most likely killed many. The Monarchs overwinter in Mexico, and probably had began migrating north into Texas when the freeze hit there.

On 24/07/2021 at 04:34, Ed Rooney said:

My only problem with 'flat white' is it seems to be a totally uninviting name for something one is about to consume. 

Flat white is something I might paint my bedroom in.

A bad thunderstorm woke me up at about 4am today. Very noisy, huge continuous rain drops. Our cat heard the noise before me and stayed in his bed. The garden needed it, the bird bath was empty, now it's full, and it made a pretty good job of cleaning my car. I made a cuppa on got on with some work, wasn't worth going back to bed as I usually rise around 5am.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sb photos said:

A bad thunderstorm woke me up at about 4am today. Very noisy, huge continuous rain drops. Our cat heard the noise before me and stayed in his bed. The garden needed it, the bird bath was empty, now it's full, and it made a pretty good job of cleaning my car. I made a cuppa on got on with some work, wasn't worth going back to bed as I usually rise around 5am.

We had one about 5 p.m. yesterday. 1 1/3 inches in my gauge. Much needed. Also lots of thunder with it.
I love rainstorms. I used to wrap in a blanket and sit deep on our covered porch as a child, reveling in the power of the storm and enjoying a bit of rain blown in my face. I need to do that again. Although my neighbors might call the loony-bin wagon on me. This porch isn’t as deep…might not work.

• Love 1

I stopped writing about my plumbing problems because I was sick and tired of even thinking about it. I spent eleven days waiting for something to happen with holes in my bathroom wall, the medicine cabinet on the floor and the contents of both cabinets in my living room and bedroom. The threat was that they would have to remove my bathroom sink to make a really big hole in the wall. After total non-action by the plumbers for days and days it has finally been determined today that instead of making a hole in my wall they will remove the toilet from my neighbor's bathroom and make a hole in her wall. Progress. The wonderful news for me is that nothing will be done here until after they see if the leak recurs. If all is well they will repair my wall and I can put everything back. Really, it is good news. I hope. May all your plumbing be well.

Paulette

• Love 3

5 hours ago, NYCat said:

I stopped writing about my plumbing problems because I was sick and tired of even thinking about it. I spent eleven days waiting for something to happen with holes in my bathroom wall, the medicine cabinet on the floor and the contents of both cabinets in my living room and bedroom. The threat was that they would have to remove my bathroom sink to make a really big hole in the wall. After total non-action by the plumbers for days and days it has finally been determined today that instead of making a hole in my wall they will remove the toilet from my neighbor's bathroom and make a hole in her wall. Progress. The wonderful news for me is that nothing will be done here until after they see if the leak recurs. If all is well they will repair my wall and I can put everything back. Really, it is good news. I hope. May all your plumbing be well.

Paulette

I can’t believe they are taking so long. Did they tear everything up, then go on vacation? That’s unconscionable.
Landlords on the whole go with the cheapest workmen they can find. Many times, the dregs of the profession. Nothing to do with landlords, but I had a home warranty policy for a couple of years. You should have seen who was sent out when I made a claim, I had no choice. The guy who came to fix the garage door opener looked like a meth head. He was probably around 30, nothing but bones and about 4 teeth in his head and his eyes were weird. That was the only claim the company honored. Everything else, they found a way to deny repairs. I dropped the policy, but they kept charging my card. I had to dispute it with my credit card company.

I’m sure your too nice, Paulette. If a burly man lived with you and cussed the plumbers out, I’d bet they’d snap to it. 

All this talk of plumbing reminded me of our troubles with our so called en suite shower/toilet. Located off the main bedroom, the principal users were our two sons, who would each shower twice a day. The missus and me prefer a bath. Anyway all of this showering caused water to get behind the tiles and eventually we had to have the walls rebuilt, and then we replaced the tiling with large sheets of some composite material. Finally, of course, the two lads flew the nest and we were left with an unused and unwanted protrusion into the bedroom. Over time the water in the waste water traps evaporates thus connecting the en suite to the toilet drain and all of the pleasant odours leak into the bedroom. 

While I am questioning the merit of modern architecture let's examine the "benefits" of open plan living. In this arrangement noise travels throughout the building, the TV in the lounge area  is audible within the kitchen where a person is trying to listen to the radio. The sounds of a person practicing scales on their trumpet cannot be escaped. Fortunately our house is not open plan, we have discreet chambers isolated from one another, the noise from our younger son's drum kit was at least partially contained. We are now considering steps to further isolate and insulate from noise, by bricking up an unused door between lounge and dining room, I look forward to the reduction in unwanted sounds.

Open plan, you can keep it.

Edited by Bryan

30 minutes ago, Bryan said:

All this talk of plumbing reminded me of our troubles with our so called en suite shower/toilet. Located off the main bedroom, the principal users were our two sons, who would each shower twice a day. The missus and me prefer a bath. Anyway all of this showering caused water to get behind the tiles and eventually we had to have the walls rebuilt, and then we replaced the tiling with large sheets of some composite material. Finally, of course, the two lads flew the nest and we were left with an unused and unwanted protrusion into the bedroom. Over time the water in the waste water traps evaporates thus connecting the en suite to the toilet drain and all of the pleasant odours leak into the bedroom. 

While I am questioning the merit of modern architecture let's examine the "benefits" of open plan living. In this arrangement noise travels throughout the building, the TV in the lounge area  is audible within the kitchen where a person is trying to listen to the radio. The sounds of a person practicing scales on their trumpet cannot be escaped. Fortunately our house is not open plan, we have discreet chambers isolated from one another, the noise from our younger son's drum kit was at least partially contained. We are now considering steps to further isolate and insulate from noise, by bricking up an unused door between lounge and dining room, I look forward to the reduction in unwanted sounds.

Open plan, you can keep it.

Open plan doesn't do it for me either. I'm a big fan of walls, in both houses and offices. Does this mean that I have something to hide? Probably. 😉

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I can’t believe they are taking so long. Did they tear everything up, then go on vacation? That’s unconscionable.
Landlords on the whole go with the cheapest workmen they can find. Many times, the dregs of the profession. Nothing to do with landlords, but I had a home warranty policy for a couple of years. You should have seen who was sent out when I made a claim, I had no choice. The guy who came to fix the garage door opener looked like a meth head. He was probably around 30, nothing but bones and about 4 teeth in his head and his eyes were weird. That was the only claim the company honored. Everything else, they found a way to deny repairs. I dropped the policy, but they kept charging my card. I had to dispute it with my credit card company.

I’m sure your too nice, Paulette. If a burly man lived with you and cussed the plumbers out, I’d bet they’d snap to it. 

I know I am too nice. I pay a ridiculously small rent because of a rent control system I don't even approve of so I feel guilty asking for anything. As soon as I sent a complaint to my managing agent things started moving. The plumbers in NYC apparently have a reputation for doing this sort of thing. Once my landlord and super got on their case things happened. My super says these plumbers have been driving him crazy since he started here twelve years ago.

Paulette

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

I know I am too nice. I pay a ridiculously small rent because of a rent control system I don't even approve of so I feel guilty asking for anything. As soon as I sent a complaint to my managing agent things started moving. The plumbers in NYC apparently have a reputation for doing this sort of thing. Once my landlord and super got on their case things happened. My super says these plumbers have been driving him crazy since he started here twelve years ago.

Paulette

That’s the situation I imagined. Good for you to send a complaint. Here’s hoping it gets done soon. I had two bathrooms completely redone in less time than that. New tile shower built, another tub & shower, tiled floors, new cabinetry, sinks and toilets. Finished in about a week to 10 days. Carpenters, tiler and a plumber. Although the contractor hired a cheap plumber, and recently I had another plumber come to fix two glaring (to a plumber) errors.

Many of us who know nothing much about a profession, are at their mercy, and don’t know if they’ve done the job correctly.

Earlier this week I paid my UK self employment second payment on account to HMRC before the deadline of the end of tomorrow. I usually pay on-line via my debit card (last time January this year), but now had problems. As the the page should have switched to the card supplier it went no further. Tried multiple times, no change. Contacted my bank, they said it wasn't an issue with them. Emailed HMRC support, they got back to me the following day. They stated there was a known unresolved problem with card long numbers containing certain sequences of numbers. One of the number sequences they gave matched my card. Ended up paying direct via faster payment after setting up HMRC. Never leave paying your tax until the last moment, you can never predict potential problems.

I prefer the "Faster Payment" method for certain transactions. I feel it gives me more control.  NO! I am NOT a control freak.

Allan

My this year's sales so far just surpassed my overall last year's sales, but ...

N.B. I've posted the second part of this statement in the "....bad thing happened..." thread

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

51 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I prefer the "Faster Payment" method for certain transactions. I feel it gives me more control.  NO! I am NOT a control freak.

Allan

I will use faster payment in the future as HMRC is now setup. I previously paid by debit card as I liked the instant email record of payment.

34 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I will use faster payment in the future as HMRC is now setup. I previously paid by debit card as I liked the instant email record of payment.

It's been all the other way for me since last year, latest claim just made;). First time they've needed my bank details.

53 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Had a last gasp invoice clear today which takes me over the threshold by a reasonable amount, Phew.🙂

😉Do you mean $25,000 threshold?

Allan

Oh, hooray. The holes in my wall are repaired and I will soon be able to put things back in the cupboards. I have a lot of cleaning to do but, really, it is a good thing to not have holes in ones walls....or anywhere else.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Oh, hooray. The holes in my wall are repaired and I will soon be able to put things back in the cupboards. I have a lot of cleaning to do but, really, it is a good thing to not have holes in ones walls....or anywhere else.

Paulette

Yes, holes in your socks come to mind.😉 Happy to hear that. Are the repairs painted, or do you have to stare at that?

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Ever since my son moved to Kansas, and when he visits on many weekends, I always end up gaining a pound or two.  I cook for him, or he takes me out, or he brings things like doughnuts. This last weekend was particularly bad. 
First, on Saturday, we (many family members) went to a Mexican restaurant (high calorie meal) for lunch to celebrate my daughter’s birthday. Then we went to the other daughter’s house for pizza, salad and my home-baked blackberry cobbler with ice cream for dinner. On Sunday, I fed my son my poppyseed chicken casserole with tiny roasted potatoes and corn on the cob.

Three pounds later, (bad thing) I got it all back off by Thursday morning when I weighed, after 3 days of dieting. (Good thing) not only got it off, but an extra pound off. I’m splurging this evening by having a baked potato & a beef cutlet for dinner tonight, with spinach and fresh wedged tomatoes. I’m hungry. And I feel svelte. A good thing.
You gotta stay on top of these calories, who sneak into your closet at night and sew your clothes tighter. (I have a decorative jar with that saying)

Edited by Betty LaRue

22 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, holes in your socks come to mind.😉 Happy to hear that. Are the repairs painted, or do you have to stare at that?

I was lucky in that one hole was behind the medicine cabinet and one in the cupboard below the sink. My only "problem" is that he put the medicine cabinet a half inch higher and it was already high for me so I have to stand up VERY straight if I want to see my whole face. My neighbor definitely has to ask the landlord to do a better job repairing her wall. The landlord is actually a good one. it was the plumbers who were the problem. The landlord's office called me yesterday to apologize and tell me the contractor was being told to make me a priority. I have lived in the building since 1970 and I do try to be a good tenant. My folks owned small rental properties in California and I'm aware how important it is to have good tenants. I am generally good-natured about any problems and I plant flowers in the garden. In turn, they are usually good about addressing any problems.

Paulette

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I have lived in the building since 1970

Wow, that is impressive...I thought I hate to move, except for my childhood home, I have averaged about 15 years in each of the 3 places I have lived since leaving home.

• Alamy locked this topic