Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have my sweet tooth. And a small sack of fun-size snickers.

Although I’d rather eat these.

FX1JR6.jpg

My downfall are sweets too.  And more so in the last 5-10 year.  I usually have some chocolate and/or ice cream in the house...but rarely chocolate ice cream.  I tend to crave a sweet before bed.

I’ve had lots going on lately and have been working hard not to let the stress get to me. Late this afternoon I met up with a friend for an early bite to eat, turned off my phone and just chatted with her for 90 minutes. It was great fun to catch up! 

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

My downfall are sweets too.  And more so in the last 5-10 year.  I usually have some chocolate and/or ice cream in the house...but rarely chocolate ice cream.  I tend to crave a sweet before bed.

Not into sweets as such, nothing tastes nicer than a fresh strawberry picked from the garden, or peas fresh from the pod, but we do indulge in a couple of squares of fruit and nut dark chocolate after dinner. 

Yogurt  flavour ice cream is a personal favourite, which is hard to find in the UK, but a blend of cheap plain vanilla ice cream with a dollop of fat free Greek style yoghurt is almost as good. 

While into gastronomic indulgence, we've recently discovered the joy of flat white coffee, normally served in a sensibly small mug, unlike those great buckets of latte that the high street chains sell. Yesterday we cycled over to the village tearoom and sat outside with flat whites. The sun shone, the volunteer maintained flower beds looked great, tall trees around and there was the background hum of gentle conversation - all was well in the world.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

Not into sweets as such, nothing tastes nicer than a fresh strawberry picked from the garden, or peas fresh from the pod, but we do indulge in a couple of squares of fruit and nut dark chocolate after dinner. 

Yogurt  flavour ice cream is a personal favourite, which is hard to find in the UK, but a blend of cheap plain vanilla ice cream with a dollop of fat free Greek style yoghurt is almost as good. 

While into gastronomic indulgence, we've recently discovered the joy of flat white coffee, normally served in a sensibly small mug, unlike those great buckets of latte that the high street chains sell. Yesterday we cycled over to the village tearoom and sat outside with flat whites. The sun shone, the volunteer maintained flower beds looked great, tall trees around and there was the background hum of gentle conversation - all was well in the world.

What are flat whites? Plain coffee with cream?

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

No cream, just espresso with frothed milk, but less than in a latte.

My favourite is a cortado which you could only get in Spain until a few years ago. It’s a small cup of expresso 1:1 with hot milk. More of a pick me up than a drink! 

• Love 1

I see. Okay, get it. I make my own coffee. I drink it black, 2 cups in the a.m. and no more. I’ll spend money for a guitar, but darned if I’ll pay the prices for fancy coffee.
I tried a Latte twice. Both times it left my stomach feeling queasy. If I’m going to spend that kind of money on a drink, I’ll choose an ice cream malt or shake. Lactose intolerance and all.

Might as well get more calories for my money, hadn’t I?

• Love 1

My daughter & I had lunch then went to a “Going Out of Business” sale at an antique store. I found a small covered Corning Ware casserole dish just like the one I already have and use all of the time. I can use two. The one I already have has a chip in the lid. I also found a new lid for it. I missed going down the last aisle when my back gave out, but that’s ok, I saw most of it.

15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Normally two shots of coffee with a little milk, so stronger than a latte, but interpretation/quality varies greatly between vendors.  

You have to combine the coffee with the view, it's worth paying if you are sitting in a seafront café, or likewise attractive location. I wouldn't normally be buying a coffee at our local shopping centre. We use simple Moka coffee pots at home, and it is interesting to compare our home brew with that on the street.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My daughter & I had lunch then went to a “Going Out of Business” sale at an antique store. I found a small covered Corning Ware casserole dish just like the one I already have and use all of the time. I can use two. The one I already have has a chip in the lid. I also found a new lid for it. I missed going down the last aisle when my back gave out, but that’s ok, I saw most of it.

Wish I had known you were going I would have asked you to get something for me.

Allan

A good thing that is GOING to happen in my life today is a haircut. Leaving soon don't want to be late.

Allan

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

Normally two shots of coffee with a little milk, so stronger than a latte, but interpretation/quality varies greatly between vendors.  

You have to combine the coffee with the view, it's worth paying if you are sitting in a seafront café, or likewise attractive location. I wouldn't normally be buying a coffee at our local shopping centre. We use simple Moka coffee pots at home, and it is interesting to compare our home brew with that on the street.

Yes, I can certainly see the view would make it special. I envy you having access to the sea view without having to go far. I love ocean views, beaches, beachcombing, and here I am as far from any as I can get. Where I live is pretty much the very middle of the U.S. Minimum of a thousand miles from any of the oceans, and probably a good deal more. At least two days of hard driving with short overnights. I think the Gulf of Mexico (south of me) is a little closer than the Atlantic or Pacific. The U.S. is wider than taller. So probably 15-18 hours of hard driving with short rest stops to the Gulf.

22 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, I can certainly see the view would make it special. I envy you having access to the sea view without having to go far. I love ocean views, beaches, beachcombing, and here I am as far from any as I can get. Where I live is pretty much the very middle of the U.S. Minimum of a thousand miles from any of the oceans, and probably a good deal more. At least two days of hard driving with short overnights. I think the Gulf of Mexico (south of me) is a little closer than the Atlantic or Pacific. The U.S. is wider than taller. So probably 15-18 hours of hard driving with short rest stops to the Gulf.

Not sure I could live with that Betty, we are about 10 miles from the sea and it's a pleasant cycle ride along a traffic free path. 

When we were younger we used to race a sailing dinghy on the river Tyne estuary, and once I sailed to work with a colleague up the river Tyne to Newcastle.  It caused a bit of a stir and we had a small party gather to see us away at the end of the day. I remember thinking "mustn't capsize" as we gybed the boat around on leaving the pontoon. 

Our grandchildren live inland, but are always pleased to visit the beach when they stay with us - weather permitting.

Edited by Bryan

On 20/07/2021 at 22:49, Betty LaRue said:

I see. Okay, get it. I make my own coffee. I drink it black, 2 cups in the a.m. and no more. I’ll spend money for a guitar, but darned if I’ll pay the prices for fancy coffee.
I tried a Latte twice.

Me too, regarding the coffee. I've been buying French or Espresso coffee #5 at M&S lately. Also popular at coffee bars is Caffe Macchiato, espresso with a drop or two of warm milk. Outside of Italy this has become something of a Starbucks-like dessert you drink, but in Italy it is still as I stated (I think?). Macchiato mean 'stain' and it's pronounced by saying the 4 syllables in the continued sound. Otherwise it sounds Japanese. 

K7TBWD.jpg

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Thanks 1

Snap. I've a few of these, but never managed to sell one.  You done any better Edo ?

Cup, saucer and spoon, latte coffee with heart pattern on surface Stock Photo

Once leased a shot of a teapot and cups 🙂

But it got refunded 😧

Edited by Bryan

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

This cappuccino with the pastry has been a repeat best seller. No other coffee sales, however.  

classic-continental-breakfast-croissant-

Hi Edo I assume this was one of your coffee breaks. If it was I note you have a glass of water (or is it G&T) with your coffee.  I have found more and more lately that I have to have water with my coffee. Not sure why though. It just feels right.

Allan

Those are reasonable assumptions, Allan — not correct, however. I took that picture in Rome in 2008, the last time I was there. I was crossing Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere on my way to an old workers' restaurant right outside the building I used to live in. I noticed the ornate table in the coffee bar and order a cappuccino and cornneto to take a picture. Instead, they gave me a croissant. I ate none of it nor did I drink the coffee. My waiter was upset. I tried to explain but he thought I was nuts. Hmm.    

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

that I have to have water with my coffee. Not sure why though.

It's so you actually get something to drink. A thimbleful of coffee you can stand a spoon up in is great, but a beverage? Not sure about that.

My 5 Monarch caterpillars. One in a J hook, so will be making a chrysalis in a number of hours. Another one at the top of the butterfly cage preparing to make a J hook.

3 still munching milkweed but should be doing J hooks before long. They crawl to the top of the mesh cage, lay down silk to attach their tails to the cage. Then they drop down and curl into the shape of a J. Usually within 24 hours they turn into a chrysalis.

This one did it on the milkweed last year.

2D9D3AR.jpg
To eventually do this….

2E1AP5P.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Edo I assume this was one of your coffee breaks. If it was I note you have a glass of water (or is it G&T) with your coffee.  I have found more and more lately that I have to have water with my coffee. Not sure why though. It just feels right.

Allan

I think that’s the norm in Spain. The coffee is just for the hit of caffeine and the water is the thirst quencher served along side! 

Just  home from an actual evening out with friends. Ate outside on the terrace of a local gastropub, food was great, couple of bottles of wine. Felt like old times…..

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It's so you actually get something to drink. A thimbleful of coffee you can stand a spoon up in is great, but a beverage? Not sure about that.

Actually I am drinking water with large Latte coffee's.

Allan

Just back from getting my limo back from the bodyshop. Marvellous job and not a bad price either.🏎️  Vroom Vroomm!

Allan

On 20/07/2021 at 16:17, Betty LaRue said:

A flat white typically uses a 60gm double shot of coffee with the same amount of lightly frothed milk.  (I'm a qualified barista)

• Alamy locked this topic