Your COVID-19 Images

The final scheduled easyJet flights out of Spain landed yesterday before 'lockdown'. The arrival from Malaga landing at Southend, with the Alicante flight taxiing in past a Ryanair jet. There are a handful of repatriation flights planned this week then that'll be it.

easyjet-have-cancelled-all-of-their-scheduled-services-from-spain-due-to-covid-19-coronavirus-the-final-arrival-from-malaga-at-southend-airport-2B7JXAD.jpg

• Love 1

Having to visit a local hospital with my husband for some investigative tests, I was turfed out for half an hour. So what better to do than try and find the Coronavirus testing unit. Not an easy task in a maze of buildings and corridors. But worth it in the end as these images help to illustrate what is going on. And got used in the Scottish Sun.

western-general-hospital-edinburgh-scotl

western-general-hospital-edinburgh-scotl

• Love 2

I was taking a couple pix of the massively duck taped hand sanitizer (they've been disappearing from offices so I'm guessing that's why they've got it locked down) and then noticed the sign about disinfecting the parking pay stations. We got out for a walk over the weekend. Ran into some friends and their daughter now home from college for the rest of the year. Pretty sparse even with fine weather and miles of hiking trails. 

Notice no Senior benefits on weekends. so I just bought another 3-year pass last spring. Hope I get to use the whole thing. Face-timed with my grandson today - playing peek-a-boo with an 18-month old can certainly brighten your day.

This is a very historic and important worldwide event and must be recorded from the intense to the mundane. Sadly this is history, and could cause as much death and economic disaster worldwide as a war, not to mention threats here in the US to democracy as we try to move forward with the most important elections of our lives. I never even thought about the need to disinfect the pay station - yikes how do I disinfect my card after it goes through the system? Treat it like money and disinfect my hands - with homemade disinfectant - it's been sold out everywhere in NY for a month. 

westchester-county-new-york-15-march-2020-a-bottle-of-hand-sanitizer-is-secured-by-duck-tape-in-the-parking-lot-of-rockefeller-state-park-preserve-for-hikers-sign-that-parking-meter-is-disinfected-hourly-over-coronavirus-fears-westchester-county-currently-has-the-highest-incidence-of-covid-19-in-the-state-due-to-shortages-there-have-been-reports-of-people-stealing-hand-sanitizer-from-offices-and-other-public-spaces-2B7JM88.jpg

westchester-county-new-york-15-march-2020-a-bottle-of-hand-sanitizer-is-secured-by-duck-tape-in-the-parking-lot-of-rockefeller-state-park-preserve-for-hikers-westchester-county-currently-has-the-highest-incidence-of-coronavirus-in-the-state-due-to-shortages-there-have-been-reports-of-people-stealing-hand-sanitizer-from-offices-and-other-public-spaces-2B7JM82.jpg

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

I was taking a couple pix of the massively duck taped hand sanitizer (they've been disappearing from offices so I'm guessing that's why they've got it locked down) and then noticed the sign about disinfecting the parking pay stations. We got out for a walk over the weekend. Ran into some friends and their daughter now home from college for the rest of the year. Pretty sparse even with fine weather and miles of hiking trails. 

Notice no Senior benefits on weekends. so I just bought another 3-year pass last spring. Hope I get to use the whole thing. Face-timed with my grandson today - playing peek-a-boo with an 18-month old can certainly brighten your day.

This is a very historic and important worldwide event and must be recorded from the intense to the mundane. Sadly this is history, and could cause as much death and economic disaster worldwide as a war, not to mention threats here in the US to democracy as we try to move forward with the most important elections of our lives. I never even thought about the need to disinfect the pay station - yikes how do I disinfect my card after it goes through the system? Treat it like money and disinfect my hands - with homemade disinfectant - it's been sold out everywhere in NY for a month. 

westchester-county-new-york-15-march-2020-a-bottle-of-hand-sanitizer-is-secured-by-duck-tape-in-the-parking-lot-of-rockefeller-state-park-preserve-for-hikers-sign-that-parking-meter-is-disinfected-hourly-over-coronavirus-fears-westchester-county-currently-has-the-highest-incidence-of-covid-19-in-the-state-due-to-shortages-there-have-been-reports-of-people-stealing-hand-sanitizer-from-offices-and-other-public-spaces-2B7JM88.jpg

westchester-county-new-york-15-march-2020-a-bottle-of-hand-sanitizer-is-secured-by-duck-tape-in-the-parking-lot-of-rockefeller-state-park-preserve-for-hikers-westchester-county-currently-has-the-highest-incidence-of-coronavirus-in-the-state-due-to-shortages-there-have-been-reports-of-people-stealing-hand-sanitizer-from-offices-and-other-public-spaces-2B7JM82.jpg

Neat photo. I’m surprised someone hasn’t cut the tape and stolen it.  I’ve seen pictures of people buying up all sorts of things and scalping it, keeping things out of the hands of those without. 
Glad you had your camera handy.

• Love 2

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Neat photo. I’m surprised someone hasn’t cut the tape and stolen it.  I’ve seen pictures of people buying up all sorts of things and scalping it, keeping things out of the hands of those without. 
Glad you had your camera handy.

Thanks!

Some guy in Tennessee was arrested for buying up thousands of containers of hand sanitizer and scalping it on Amazon or ebay - I forget which. He's been buying them for a few months anticipating the need. 

We New Yorkers aren't as bad as our reputation might have you believe, although our stores are empty, and there are always some rotten apples  - then again, fear is palpable - if the pandemic is as bad as the worst case scenario, we will have over 15,000 fewer ventilators than needed (this is from a New York State policy paper - which talks about how to decide who gets a ventilator, so right from the source - of course estimates are just educated guesses) but it says  best case we will still be down by over a thousand and that's with all the stockpiles they've got in case of emergency - our doctor's office sent out an email telling people to wear masks when they show up - LOL we don't have any - I  was looking for some to use for sanding some furniture a month ago and they were already gone. My husband needs surgery which he was scheduled for next week and it was just postponed indefinitely which could have consequences - with over 20 million people our state, still the hardest hit, is facing shortages and we have nowhere near enough hospital beds unless we get the Federal help the governor has asked for to retrofit dormitories and possibly the Jacob Javits convention center for hospital use. Our governor is doing all he can, but the suburban county where I live has more cases every day. I've been trying to be positive but the reality is very scary. 

Some good and promising news on Covid-19:  Two potential treatments being developed by Regeneron, a biotech company here in Westchester, NY close to where I live. I was reading about their arthritis drug which may help keep people's lungs from getting as inflamed when they have a severe immune reaction and this could reduce the need for ventilators.  They are working on speeded up double blind clinical trials right now in partnership with a French company (with global office including one  in New Jersey). and they hope to have clinical trials outside the US soon too, especially in Italy. And there's a Swiss (I think) company that also makes a similar drug. So if it works this could be good news for a lot of sick people around the world. A similar drug (one that targets the same receptor) worked in a small clinical trial in China.

And more promising it looks like they have also come up with a antiviral cocktail that could work both for those already sick and  possibly prophylactically - but those clinical trials aren't expected to start until the summer unfortunately, which could be too late for us here in NY, though they are prepared to make hundreds of thousands of doses if the clinical trials prove successful. I'd certainly volunteer for one if I got sick. I don't have a link because it opened in my Apple News app but you can google : "Regeneron’s CEO Says We Could Have a Covid-19 Treatment ‘Quickly’ and you'll find several articles about both of the treatments.  

Stay healthy everyone! 

Edited by Marianne

This is the third discarded medical mask I have seen on the ground in this past week!  I can't believe that people (yes I can) can be so lazy and inconsiderate to not be able to make it a trash bin!  Shot with my iPhone, did not have a "real" camera with me.  So it is an S series photo.  I saw this one outside a medical facility...I had a doc appointment that I could not cancel. Nothing related to the virus.  The other ones I saw on the ground, were outside a grocery store!

medical-respiratory-mask-discard-on-the-ground-S346R4.jpg

• Love 1

As in many other places, schools are now closed indefinitely here in Vancouver. My guess is that they will remain shut for the remainder of the school year, which will be very hard on students, especially those who have applied to post-secondary institutions. It will also affect my bottom line, as I tutor high school kids. Hopefully online teaching/learning will come partially to the rescue.

Lord Byng High School, Vancouver, Canada. If it looks familiar, this school is often used as a set for Hollywood movies and TV series.

vancouver-canada18-march-2020-elementary

Popular restaurants closed -- another common sight

vancouver-canada18-march-2020-all-restau

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

Noticed this village pub with beer kegs lined up along the front and blocking access to the car park while driving yesterday. I thought it would nicely illustrate UK pub closures as a result of the pandemic, so pulled over when I could and took a couple of photos. 

english-pub-closed-due-to-the-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-with-beer-kegs-lined-up-in-front-the-plough-inn-village-of-little-london-hampshire-uk-2B8DR7M.jpg

Banks and stores in Vancouver are starting to put social distancing (physical  distancing) signs on the floor to remind customers to maintain a safe distance between each other.

vancouver-canada-21-march-2020-a-bank-ha

Children's playgrounds are now closed in Vancouver -- tough on families but necessary

vancouver-canada-21-march-2020-vancouver

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

Although I tried to pick out this young couple from the background, I wasn't happy that it had worked in colour so tried monochrome. I think it works better, though not sure it's so sellable. I hope they'll be OK.

young-couple-wearing-face-masks-on-southend-seafront-concerned-for-their-future-due-to-the-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-monochrome-2B8N1R3.jpg

On 19/03/2020 at 10:32, Michael Ventura said:

This is the third discarded medical mask I have seen on the ground in this past week!  I can't believe that people (yes I can) can be so lazy and inconsiderate to not be able to make it a trash bin.

"I'm worried that the virus will impact my health" says smoker.......

southend-on-sea-essex-uk-23rd-march-2020-the-roads-and-streets-are-much-quieter-after-the-weekend-some-people-are-out-shopping-a-mask-has-been-discarded-in-a-smoking-area-outside-southend-hospital-credit-avpicsalamy-live-news-2B8WMN7.jpg

• Love 1

Social distancing (physical distancing) is taking hold in Vancouver, Canada

This lineup went around the corner, and everyone was obeying the two-metres / six-feet apart rule.

vancouver-canada-26-march-2020-people-pr

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hey, if you don't how to live without loo paper, then you don't know sxxt. 

We are keeping back a few newspapers. But they're not as absorbent as they used to be when the ink came off on your fingers.