Your COVID-19 Images

I'm somewhat hesitant to start this topic given the seriousness of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, it's important to document what is going on out there. Do you have any images related to the COVID-19 pandemic that you would like to share? If so, post them here (no more than one or two at a time might be a good idea).

This is what the pasta aisle in my local supermarket in Vancouver looked like on Saturday. The BC provincial government has told people not to panic-buy and hoard food, but obviously not many people are listening.

vancouver-canada-14-march-2020-grocery-s

Canned foods were getting scarce as well...

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

I'll just make a comment.   It is amazing to see how stock contributors in all agencies have jumped on corona. 

I will never take or submit single corona related photo.  It is not my niche + simply doesn't feel right personally.  But I am not critical to these that do, and it is interesting to see what is going on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

I'll just make a comment.   It is amazing to see how stock contributors in all agencies have jumped on corona. 

I will never take or submit single corona related photo.  It is not my niche + simply doesn't feel right personally.  But I am not critical to these that do, and it is interesting to see what is going on.

Oh, come on.....any port in a storm. Those whose income depends on it have to make the best of it

• Love 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil Crean said:

Shopping in Mercadona on Saturday, just before the lockdown, Tenerife, Spain

2B77WCB.jpg

Phil

I could be wrong but those masks look like those small dust masks that are basically useless for dust and probably completely useless in protecting against the virus 😎

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

I can appreciate your POV. However, Alamy's contributors are spread all over the place and no doubt have images documenting what is going on in their parts of the world. This has value beyond the possible monetary benefits IMO. However, you're correct, there will always be those who "jump on" situations like Corona with only making money in mind. That's the nature of the beast...

P.S. I realize that some contributors are probably "self-isolating" now. I'm certainly not suggesting that they go out to capture images.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I can appreciate your POV. However, Alamy's contributors are spread all over the place and no doubt have images documenting what is going on in their parts of the world. This has value beyond the possible monetary ones IMO. However, you're correct, there will always be those who "jump on" situations like Corona with only making money in mind. That's the nature of the beast...

P.S. I realize that some contributors are probably "self-isolating" now. I'm certainly not suggesting that they go out to capture images.

actually i am thinking of taking pictures of my self-isolation room.....  but then it just looks like a backpackers normal mess, with a thermometer and a kettle so i can make myself coffee without bothering my angelic sister

52 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

have no problem with your view, we all have our limits.  But remember COVID19 images are not just about the current empty shelves, mask wearers and warning signs.... I am currently going through all my files, for images that may have a use in 2-6 months... 

34 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I can appreciate your POV. However, Alamy's contributors are spread all over the place and no doubt have images documenting what is going on in their parts of the world. This has value beyond the possible monetary benefits IMO. However, you're correct, there will always be those who "jump on" situations like Corona with only making money in mind. That's the nature of the beast...

John,

Just to add to what you have written.  For the last four decades I did not  "jump on" Chernobyl or any number of disasters and misfortunate events that I have photographed and making money has never crossed my mind.  I do believe as I assume that you do as well that images of the current crisis are important today, tomorrow and for years to come, but it is important, in my opinion, that the people making those images be responsible and professional in the process.  I have never met any decent photojournalist that thought about income when covering a serious story.

Chuck

• Love 2
  • Like 4

I think this pandemic will be a notable historic event,  very much worth capturing and recording with images.  It may not my be niche too but I think it is important to chronicle.  I just hope that we all get through this relatively unscathed.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, DJ Myford said:

100-400mm is preferable.

I used a 55-210. Will I still be OK?

(P.S. This is an old image. It has nothing to do with the current situation.)

woman-sitting-on-green-grass-reading-a-b

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Oh, come on.....any port in a storm. Those whose income depends on it have to make the best of it

I agree with spacecadet. Also what about the importance of documenting what we’re going through for historical purposes? That’s important surely. 

• Love 2

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm somewhat hesitant to start this topic given the seriousness of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, it's important to document what is going on out there. Do you have any images related to the COVID-19 pandemic that you would like to share? If so, post them here (no more than one or two at a time might be a good idea).

This is what the pasta aisle in my local supermarket in Vancouver looked like on Saturday. The BC provincial government has told people not to panic-buy and hoard food, but obviously not many people are listening.

Canned foods were getting scarce as well...

Can you get away with taking photos in shops? I once took a photo with an old nokia phone in a well known chain & they asked me to delete it. 

1 hour ago, dunstun365 said:

Can you get away with taking photos in shops? I once took a photo with an old nokia phone in a well known chain & they asked me to delete it. 

You must have missed the long recent thread about that subject. Click my numbers, you’ll see a few “inside shops” images.

3 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

I've never had any problems here. People are often snapping away with their phones in grocery stores, doing comparison shopping, etc.

8 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

have no problem with your view, we all have our limits.  But remember COVID19 images are not just about the current empty shelves, mask wearers and warning signs.... I am currently going through all my files, for images that may have a use in 2-6 months... 

Would be interesting to see these;  not sure what you have on mind?

I couldn't take COVID19 photo, even if I wanted to... live in small mountain town and --- at least for now -- life is very much as usual.  Save on Foods / Safeway are normal.   Main difference will be lack of tourists this summer;  Canada has just shut the borders too.    I do agree though this is quite historical & now I begin to think whole thing is just starting.   I just don't feel "right" about it, that's all & totally individual.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I've never had any problems here. People are often snapping away with their phones in grocery stores, doing comparison shopping, etc.

John, besides grocery stores, how is Vancouver?  Downtown / Kits etc.  are usually very vibrant.  Has it changed?

Just now, Autumn Sky said:

Would be interesting to see these;  not sure what you have on mind?

I couldn't take COVID19 photo, even if I wanted to... live in small mountain town and --- at least for now -- life is very much as usual.  Save on Foods / Safeway are normal.   Main difference will be lack of tourists this summer;  Canada has just shut the borders too.    I do agree though this is quite historical & now I begin to think whole thing is just starting.   I just don't feel "right" about it, that's all & totally individual.

Understood. I don't really have anything specific in mind.

Just now, Autumn Sky said:

John, besides grocery stores, how is Vancouver?  Downtown / Kits etc.  are usually very vibrant.  Has it changed?

Haven't noticed any really big changes yet. However, I was on Commercial Drive last night and restaurants and coffee shops were emptier than usual. My guess is that's the case in most Canadian cities right now.

This ship is a 20 minute walk from my front door, one of the two now-famous contaminated cruise ships -The Diamond Princess in Japan and the Grand Princess in Oakland. Would I not be remiss as a photographer to ignore it? Information is a public service.Oakland, USA. 9th Mar, 2020. Grand Princess cruise ship disembarks at the Port of Oakland after 19 crew members and 2 passengers tested positive for Covid-19 also known as Coronavirus. One person on the cruise died from the virus. Credit: Kristin Cato/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Oakland, USA. 9th Mar, 2020. Grand Princess cruise ship disembarks at the Port of Oakland after 19 crew members and 2 passengers tested positive for Covid-19 also known as Coronavirus. One person on the cruise died from the virus. Credit: Kristin Cato/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

• Love 2
  • Like 3