Your COVID-19 Images

On 08/04/2020 at 00:59, Autumn Sky said:

Here's an image to make everyone hopefully chuckle a bit.  It is not on sale.....

Can I ask why not? It's a great image of the time.

44 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Only as a part of shopping trips or exercising.

Same, only when out exercising and around the house. eg) son with loaf of bread he baked, son working at home on laptop

Am finding it hugely frustrating not to be able to properly record what is happening in my locality.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Avpics said:

Only as a part of shopping trips or exercising.

Similar, but only when exercising. Must finish edits, captions etc and upload while they are still topical. Am exercising/walking to areas in my locality I have I haven't visited for some time, in one case since the 70's. Lots of changes. Walking further on each trip, last few 14 - 15 km, longer planned this weekend.

13 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I've also taken the cliched shot of the government letter in The UK.

Great minds think alike 😜

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

Another sign of the times in my neighbourhood. Delivery people have joined the list of unsung heroes.

vancouver-canada-07-april-2020-a-sign-th

Kids are not in school, so they are expressing themselves on the sidewalk, telling the adults what to do for a change.

vancouver-canada-07-april-2020-a-childs-

Edited by John Mitchell

8 hours ago, Avpics said:

Can I ask why not? It's a great image of the time.

Thank you.

I am hesitant, which I mentioned on top of this thread,  to try to cash in on misfortune.  I know, its all in my head & this alternate view about capturing point in time is more proper.

But, as mask was gone ---- I suspect it was put overnight as joke by some local kids, and then removed by City officials --- I decided to upload it.   This is closer version, so spacecadet can have better look:

big-head-sculpture-landmark-by-artist-al

For anyone interested, here is page with more details and photos;  there is peaceful pond behind, and hotel

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/big-head-sculpture

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

Thank you.

I am hesitant, which I mentioned on top of this thread,  to try to cash in on misfortune.  I know, its all in my head & this alternate view about capturing point in time is more proper.

But, as mask was gone ---- I suspect it was put overnight as joke by some local kids, and then removed by City officials --- I decided to upload it.   This is closer version, so spacecadet can have better look:

big-head-sculpture-landmark-by-artist-al

For anyone interested, here is page with more details and photos;  there is peaceful pond behind, and hotel

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/big-head-sculpture

i don't think having image that illustrate these times is cashing in.  we need to tell the stories.  

• Love 2

13 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

Thank you.

Don't know if you've seen these documentary images from across Canada.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

i don't think having image that illustrate these times is cashing in.  we need to tell the stories.  

Yes, that is dominant view on this Forum & as I said, it's all in my head.    In fact, on outdoor forum yesterday I advised people to keep some very interesting shots --- not to sell, but because this is history in the making.   Basketball court in Vancouver, BC (not my pic):

attachment.php?attachmentid=274548

(John Mitchell:  Hint, Hint :) )

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Autumn Sky said:

As I said, this is history in the making now.   My only mental problem is that I'll put money in my pocket.  I guess I can always donate the proceedings though

don't forget you also put 50% in the pocket of Alamy and these might mean survival for them in these though times.  

2 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

Yes, that is dominant view on this Forum & as I said, it's all in my head.    In fact, on outdoor forum yesterday I advised people to keep some very interesting shots --- not to sell, but because this is history in the making.   Basketball court in Vancouver, BC (not my pic):

(John Mitchell:  Hint, Hint :) )

Thanks, I'll be going out on my daily socially-distanced exercise and photo walk later today.

I'm sticking pretty much to my own neighbourhood, though.

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

don't forget you also put 50% in the pocket of Alamy and these might mean survival for them in these though times.  

That is interesting point.  I have no problem helping Alamy.    Impact of pandemic on stock photo industry is interesting topic.  On first hand you'd think there should be little impact, because all this  "pandemic niche" opened up.  But on the other hand, travel related pics must be totally off, as well as some others.   I haven't sold a thing on Alamy since pandemic started and on couple of micros it dropped 50% & almost entirely subs which pay pennies.   Only Photoshop micro is keeping steady & now my by margin best earner out there.  Even without editorials.

4 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

As I said, this is history in the making now.   My only mental problem is that I'll put money in my pocket.  I guess I can always donate the proceedings though

Just think how much money the Canadian government will be putting in people's pockets. It's totally necessary of course, but who knows how it will ever get paid back. I'm not really expecting to make any money from my images. It's more a matter of staying connected with what is going on in my neck of the woods and keeping my stock photography skills (such as they are) from deteriorating during this crisis. Of course, I'd be very happy if someone finds one of my images useful, plus I'd quickly be pumping any revenue back into the economy. So you see, you can rationalize just about anything.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Just think how much money the Canadian government will be putting in people's pockets. It's totally necessary of course, but who knows how it will ever get paid back.

John,  this is very important topic nobody is thinking or talking about.   But there will be changes and significant ones.   Here in AB they are already talking about PST for instance.  Taxes will go up, etc etc.   Once again this is history in the making & nobody knows how it will play out.   But getting off topic so I'll stop.   Enjoy pics instead. Photography is good thing :)

16 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

That is interesting point.  I have no problem helping Alamy.    Impact of pandemic on stock photo industry is interesting topic.  On first hand you'd think there should be little impact, because all this  "pandemic niche" opened up.  But on the other hand, travel related pics must be totally off, as well as some others.   I haven't sold a thing on Alamy since pandemic started and on couple of micros it dropped 50% & almost entirely subs which pay pennies.   Only Photoshop micro is keeping steady & now my by margin best earner out there.  Even without editorials.

Well in theory we should see a drop off in sales in a month or longer from now because a lot of sales take a while to report. Presumably a good proportion of the sales we're seeing now are from the start of the year or last year even. My port is too small to say if any dropoff we have now (or will have) is Coronavirus related. Maybe some people with bigger ports can let us know over the next few weeks.

Edited by Steve F

1 minute ago, Autumn Sky said:

John,  this is very important topic nobody is thinking or talking about.   But there will be changes and significant ones.   Here in AB they are already talking about PST for instance.  Taxes will go up, etc etc.   Once again this is history in the making & nobody knows how it will play out.   But getting off topic so I'll stop.   Enjoy pics instead. Photography is good thing :)

Yup, there is really no free lunch. Taxes everywhere will likely go up and governments will become more intrusive then ever in our financial lives. It's gonna be a whole new world out there.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Yup, there is really no free lunch. Taxes everywhere will likely go up and governments will become more intrusive then ever in our financial lives. It's gonna be a whole new world out there.

i think the intrusion will be way beyond financial lives.  I believe that those willing to give in some of their personal freedom and information will have advantages.

I have a feeling for example if i want to stay half nomadic i will have to agree to give way more access to health and personal life to my host country than i ever did before.  

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

i think the intrusion will be way beyond financial lives.  I believe that those willing to give in some of their personal freedom and information will have advantages.

I have a feeling for example if i want to stay half nomadic i will have to agree to give way more access to health and personal life to my host country than i ever did before.  

I think it is game changing event.  Not just about personal finances and lives.   They are already comparing things to great depression.  We know what kind of social movements and events came out of that.  Big difference is that now there are so many more people, and so many more deadly weapons.   I am scared to death with this US - China /  WHO  accusations and blame shifting.  Then nobody really knows anything about this virus and where it might yet go.  Whole "wet market -- bat -- pangolin -- human"  theory is very shaky.  There are scientists wondering about hyper immune systems actually being Achilles heel for this virus etc etc.  

On the other side,  there are reports pollution is drastically improving and now you can see Himalayas from India.  So I repeat: It is once in generation defining event.   I will stop now as it might stir discussion into conspiracy theories, guesswork, etc.  and it would lead thread into same territory like the other one they had to shut down.   Better to stay  with photos.

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Just think how much money the Canadian government will be putting in people's pockets. It's totally necessary of course, but who knows how it will ever get paid back. I'm not really expecting to make any money from my images. It's more a matter of staying connected with what is going on in my neck of the woods and keeping my stock photography skills (such as they are) from deteriorating during this crisis. Of course, I'd be very happy if someone finds one of my images useful, plus I'd quickly be pumping any revenue back into the economy. So you see, you can rationalize just about anything.

What about a windfall tax on hedge funds some of which are reporting obscene profits? 

"It also came to light that a US hedge fund made a 4,144% return betting on a stock market collapse in the year to the end of March."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/09/hedge-funds-raking-in-billions-during-coronavirus-crisis

• Love 1

I might post some of the pictures I've been taking to document this unique moment in time at some point (still working on other things that have put my Alamy posting on hiatus for a long while), but in the meantime I just wanted to pipe up because I always feel a need to whenever there's a question of artists getting paid. While I do take pictures to capture history for myself without payment needing to be a primary motivator, I don't understand the philosophy at all of thinking that photographers shouldn't be able to try to earn a living from their work related to COVID-19. Should news reporters not get paid for covering stories related to it? Or should the reporters get paid but just not their camerapeople? Should bidet manufacturers not get paid for fulfilling the heightened demand for their product that's a direct result of the pandemic? Should delivery companies that have had business skyrocket due to all the people forced to order in not get paid for their services? Are photographers the only people who shouldn't get paid for pandemic-related work, or feel guilty if they do?

Imagine a world without photography, and don't tell me we don't provide a service as vital as, or more vital than, many others in the world. Why is it that so many people seem to think creatives don't need and deserve to fund their food and shelter habit like everybody else in the world who undertakes a trade?

When I was writing this I was wondering if it was hypocritical because of a thread I started about my conflicted ethics when pondering whether I would take pictures of animals in zoos, since I didn't want to profit off the business of keeping animals in captivity. But I decided it wasn't because coronavirus isn't an entity that might be encouraged by your attentions to it. You're not contributing to the dominance of coronavirus by documenting its existence and its effects on humanity. Hopefully our work does the opposite.

In the U.S., we no longer have the president calling the situation a "hoax", so maybe imagery has done some of that work.

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, geogphotos said:

What about a windfall tax on hedge funds some of which are reporting obscene profits? 

"It also came to light that a US hedge fund made a 4,144% return betting on a stock market collapse in the year to the end of March."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/09/hedge-funds-raking-in-billions-during-coronavirus-crisis

I'd say I'm shocked, but I'm not. Probably best to steer clear of topics like this at present, though. 🤐

• Love 1

I'll share 1 more image taken last week.   (not on sale either).

This is Canmore Nordic Center.  It was originally constructed for 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary & it's been popular recreation spot since.  It is official Alberta Park.   AB Parks have closed vehicle access, but facility is still open for x-country skiing & locals come up from town (~30 min on foot, depending where you live)

attachment.php?attachmentid=274540

Image is not particularly good, but it paints a story in time for this part of the world

• Like 1