Your COVID-19 Images

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

These murals in Vancouver's Gastown area depict Canadian officials and doctors involved in the fight against COVID-19. The shop owner invited artists to paint on the boarded-up windows. She reportedly even paid for the paint.

vancouver-canada-10-april-2020-a-man-pho

that's amazing

Took this photo a few weeks ago while out on a hike - the park is next door to the New York headquarters of a pharmaceutical company working on a cocktail therapy they hope may cure the virus and/or act as a vaccine. They hope to start clinical trials this summer.

Meanwhile, they have started clinical trials of one of their rheumatoid arthritis drugs (Kevzara, not hydroxychloroquine) in New York, with other clinical trials being run in Italy by Sanofi. I sure hope something works.  It's so scary that our state has more cases than any country, and so scary for the entire world. Truly something unprecedented, at least in most people's lifetimes (loved hearing about the 90+ Italian man born during the Spanish flu who survived a bout of Covid-19).  

This image and some illustrations that I developed with a slightly political bent, have all been licensed, though not through Alamy as yet. It's good to know that they are being used. 

.Tarrytown, NY - 21 March 2020 - Entrance to Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, a biotech company that hopes to start clinical trials this summer of a cocktail therapy of antibodies to Covid-19, which can either be administered to at-risk people as a vaccine before exposure or as treatment for those infected. Earlier this week Regeneron and Sanofi announced the launch of clinical trials of Kevzara, a biologic drug they developed for rheumatoid arthritis, for use against the novel coronavirus. Regeneron begins US drug trials in hard hit New York, Sanofi in Italy and other hard hit areas outside the US. Stock Photo

I have a question for you fair people:

Later this week I plan to cycle to Banff.   For you not familiar, Banff National Park is historically 2nd oldest national park in the world (after Yellowstone) and city of Banff is birthplace of Canadian National parks.   Parks Canada have closed visitor vehicle access due to COVID-19.  But I live ~20km away and it is feasible to cycle.  By cycling I am not breaking any rules.  It will be 40km return, but all on paved track with minimal ups and downs.  So once there I will have time.  Besides personal interest to see how it all looks like without tourists, empty streets, etc -- I'd like to do some photography.  It's a bit of unfamiliar territory:  I know all there is about pretty landscapes, but this is different.   What should I look for and shoot, in light of this current situation?  This is not John Mitchell Vancouver Gastown with wall graffiti, this is small mountain town.   I will have pocket camera + SLR with 2 different lens and tripod. 

Ideas / suggestions?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Autumn Sky said:

Later this week I plan to cycle to Banff.   For you not familiar, Banff National Park is historically 2nd oldest national park in the world (after Yellowstone) and city of Banff is birthplace of Canadian National parks.   Parks Canada have closed visitor vehicle access due to COVID-19.  But I live ~20km away and it is feasible to cycle.  By cycling I am not breaking any rules.  It will be 40km return, but all on paved track with minimal ups and downs.  So once there I will have time.  Besides personal interest to see how it all looks like without tourists, empty streets, etc -- I'd like to do some photography.  It's a bit of unfamiliar territory:  I know all there is about pretty landscapes, but this is different.   What should I look for and shoot, in light of this current situation?  This is not John Mitchell Vancouver Gastown with wall graffiti, this is small mountain town.   I will have pocket camera + SLR with 2 different lens and tripod. 

Ideas / suggestions?

Apart from the obvious subjects that you mentioned, you could check Alamy Measures / AoA for ideas. There are all kinds of searches for COVID -19 subjects.

I haven't been to Banff since the 1970's. I imagine that it has really changed since then. I probably wouldn't recognize the town.

Edited by John Mitchell

7 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Ideas / suggestions?

the obvious is the impact of the situation, signs, closures, empty sky hills in there is still snow etc. I would do signs of bigger places that possibly will go out of business,

You also have the impact on the locals, as Banff is also a living place

currently there seems to be lots of interest about animals retaking the streets, so anything out of the ordinary...  Also if you can get stereotypes in even better (family of moose at the Tim Hortons type)...  

actually fact that you are allowed cycling into the park may be of interest, activity with distanciation as we get into the next phase, but not sure how you capture

• Love 1

9 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

the obvious is the impact of the situation, signs, closures, empty sky hills in there is still snow etc. I would do signs of bigger places that possibly will go out of business,

You also have the impact on the locals, as Banff is also a living place

currently there seems to be lots of interest about animals retaking the streets, so anything out of the ordinary...  Also if you can get stereotypes in even better (family of moose at the Tim Hortons type)...  

actually fact that you are allowed cycling into the park may be of interest, activity with distanciation as we get into the next phase, but not sure how you capture

These are great suggestion!  Thanks bunches.  Think I'll also take a shot of closed Parks Canada office, it's right on main street.

Famous Banff Springs Hotel, really a landmark, has also closed last week. It's a bit uphill from the town though. 

I'll post here what I have when I'm back

• Like 1

Here are few shots taken yesterday of Canmore Nordic Center,  recreation facility built for 1988 winter olympics in Calgary.    What a beauty of the day, Easter;   usually this would be packed with 100 people or so, but now totally empty really eerie feeling.   And air so clean, think even here reduced traffic is making an impact

2BEJ0XG.jpg

2BEJ0XY.jpg

2BEJ0TP.jpg

This pano is 5 frames stitch,  high quality technically, 18MB.  Literally impossible to get this kind of shot with 0 people before this pandemic

2BEJ11W.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

I love the colour scheme on the house ! .. ...it compliments the colour of the mask on the sculpture.

We need some bright things in these dark times.

Yeah, that's an old bank which is now used for community events.  Nice

Here are couple of shots of City of Banff, Birthplace of Canadian National Parks.  If you've visited Banff before, you'd not recognize it.  Vibrant, busy main street looks like a ghost town, even in middle of day. Shops, restaurants closed. Famous Lux theater has "I'll be back" instead of list of movies playing. Parks office shut down. Some locals on bikes because of sunny day, but very little traffic otherwise. Exiting from Trans-Canada there is sign "essential business only", and they will stop cars asking about their business. Minnewanka and Norquay roads are gated and closed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=274940

[Gated Lake Minnewanka Road]

attachment.php?attachmentid=274936

[Closed Visitor Centre on Main Street]

attachment.php?attachmentid=274938

[Iconic Main Street, with Cascade Mountain in Background.  These 2 locals walking down the street was as busy as it got]

After locking my bike, walked up Tunnel Mountain -- popular local recreation trail.   Also far less busy than normal.  Wildlife seems quite happy, as they will have much more space this summer

attachment.php?attachmentid=274944

• Love 2
  • Like 1

On 16/04/2020 at 22:37, Autumn Sky said:

Here are couple of shots of City of Banff, Birthplace of Canadian National Parks.  If you've visited Banff before, you'd not recognize it.  Vibrant, busy main street looks like a ghost town, even in middle of day. Shops, restaurants closed. Famous Lux theater has "I'll be back" instead of list of movies playing. Parks office shut down. Some locals on bikes because of sunny day, but very little traffic otherwise. Exiting from Trans-Canada there is sign "essential business only", and they will stop cars asking about their business. Minnewanka and Norquay roads are gated and closed.

[Gated Lake Minnewanka Road]

[Closed Visitor Centre on Main Street]

[Iconic Main Street, with Cascade Mountain in Background.  These 2 locals walking down the street was as busy as it got]

After locking my bike, walked up Tunnel Mountain -- popular local recreation trail.   Also far less busy than normal.  Wildlife seems quite happy, as they will have much more space this summer

attachment.php?attachmentid=274944

Very nice image. When the humans are away, the animals will play, in peace for a change.

When I used to visit Banff in the 70's, it was much quieter than it is now, so maybe I would recognize it better during the "lockdown".

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Very nice image. When the humans are away, the animals will play, in peace for a change.

When I used to visit Banff in the 70's, it was much quieter than it is now, so maybe I would recognize it better during the "lockdown".

Banff is huge gong show nowdays in season.  Something like Robson street in your neck of the woods

I am not submitting that image because I am not happy with focus.  His nose and eyes are sharp, but rest is blurry at 100%.  I really need to figure how to take these kind of pics.  Need focus stacking, but go ahead and tell the animal to wait

21 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

Banff is huge gong show nowdays in season.  Something like Robson street in your neck of the woods

I am not submitting that image because I am not happy with focus.  His nose and eyes are sharp, but rest is blurry at 100%.  I really need to figure how to take these kind of pics.  Need focus stacking, but go ahead and tell the animal to wait

I've heard that Banff is now 'Robson in the Rockies'. It still had the feel of a small mountain town for ski bums and other hairy wanderers (like me at the time) when I hung out there for awhile. If the eyes and nose are both sharp, then I think that your deer image should be fine for Alamy. But please don't quote me...

P.S. Photo-stacking is quite amazing. However, I usually prefer traditional selective focus images of wildlife and plants. But then I don't enjoy watching HD television either. I feel more comfortable with a little fuzziness.

• Love 1