Your COVID-19 Images

On 08/04/2020 at 17:14, Avpics said:

Even after around a thousand deaths reported in 24hr I still feel that the gravity of the situation isn't appreciated due in part to the lack of visual coverage. It might seem gruesome, but seeing the effects the virus is having would help to get the point across and may in fact save lives.

I agree. They said that's what turned the tide in the Viet Nam war - seeing those photos - it's shocking and we need that visceral shock. The statistics are so mind-numbing as to become unreal in a way, but you can't internalize and accept photos of people suffering the same way. 

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 1

On 16/05/2020 at 02:42, ReeRay said:

Child having sanitized her hands now being led to join the free food handout for the poor and underprivileged of Thailand.

Broke my heart shooting this stuff!

covid-19-food-child-cleaning-hands-with-

Hungry kids move hearts. These are important photos, difficult to take but we need to move out of our comfort zones and you have done that to contribute images that may well help keep this child and so many like her fed. 

• Love 3

As photographers we can do good during this time by telling the stories out there, so we should never feel we are doing something wrong. 

I remember the first time someone wrote me a letter (an actual letter years ago) thanking me for the information in one of my articles and telling me how it had helped her to be able to help her mother. In college I had written articles for the school paper that led to my college divesting their investments in companies that did business with South Africa during apartheid, but so many years later when I returned to writing, my focus was feature articles, so I didn't think that I was contributing to society, but that letter made me realize that even if I helped one person my work was doing more than just helping me make income. 

I wish my health did not keep me from getting out there to tell this story and I keep hoping that when they have a handle on the antibodies and whether they confer immunity I'll find out the weird symptoms I had back in March will tun out to have been Covid and that I'll be immune so I can cover the story and even if just in some small way, contribute to the knowledge base about this pandemic. I live in the well-off suburbs of NYC and many people don't realize we have great inequality here in the suburbs and children and families in need of food. There are people in need everywhere. I hope I'll be able to return to volunteering with low income immigrant children, who I miss so much. And I'd like to tell their story in photographs too. And this is not going to change, I fear, even when the pandemic runs its course with so many people who have lost jobs, parents who have quit their jobs because they have no childcare, people who can't work for fear of getting the disease due to pre-existing conditions or living with loved ones at risk. This story is far from over.

Keep making those photos. You are all doing good work!

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Marianne said:

Hungry kids move hearts. These are important photos, difficult to take but we need to move out of our comfort zones and you have done that to contribute images that may well help keep this child and so many like her fed. 

Thanks for the comment - appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A local funeral directors has this on the door. I'm thinking they copy pasted it from directives aimed at establishments whose guests in their care would be more concerned about the virus.

funeral-directors-jw-tate-son-of-westcliff-on-sea-southend-essex-uk-closed-business-during-the-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-outbreak-lockdown-2BAT9YG.jpg

Edited by Avpics

First day of UK lockdown. It seems ridiculous now after it all became pretty much a free-for-all in the UK so quickly, but on that first day of lockdown I had to venture out to the chemist to collect a prescription. I held the prescription in my hand ready to wave at any police that we expected to be out patrolling looking for people breaking the curfew. There were even rumours of the military getting involved. Those feelings of the seriousness of the situation seem like eons ago now, of all being in it together to 'beat' the virus. I uploaded this one image from my walk on that first day, feeling that it illustrated the social distancing and necessary journeys only theme. The virus is killing roughly the same number of people today in the UK as it was on that day, but the country's attitude is very different.

westcliff-on-sea-essex-uk-24th-march-2020-on-the-first-day-of-lockdown-in-the-uk-a-shopper-is-walking-home-in-the-middle-of-the-road-to-make-sure-of-avoiding-contact-with-other-people-during-the-covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-outbreak-social-distancing-2B9G31H.jpg

• Love 2

Toys in lockdown looking out of the window. (Big Ted was a present when I had mumps at  4 years old. My mum made the little velvet  Kanga when I was about 7. Ian bought Snoopy for me in my late teens!)

teddy-bearsnoopy-and-kanga-toys-looking-

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jools Devon said:

2c4pka4.jpg

Getting ready to welcome to tourists back!

They will have to be quick. The tide is coming in.😉

Allan

Coronavirus appears to be well under control (for the time being) in Vancouver, but it's reassuring to see that most people are still practicing physical distancing. I took this picture just a few days ago at the Vancouver Art Gallery.

people-social-distancing-as-they-walk-ac

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Coronavirus appears to be well under control (for the time being) in Vancouver, but it's reassuring to see that most people are still practicing physical distancing. I took this picture just a few days ago at the Vancouver Art Gallery.

people-social-distancing-as-they-walk-ac

and at other end of spectrum, Ottawa on Canada Day

ottawa-canada-july-1st-2020-crowd-of-a-few-hundreds-rallied-in-front-of-the-canadian-parliament-on-canada-day-to-show-their-displeasure-with-the-trudeau-government-the-complaints-ranged-from-a-variety-of-subjects-but-mainly-focus-on-the-current-covid-19-crisis-credit-meanderingemualamy-live-news-2C59HK1.jpg

• Love 1
  • Dislike 2

7 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Uh-oh. The long march to the ICU... 🤒

These people should be forced to spend 24Hrs in an ICU ward watching people drown because their lungs don't work anymore.🤕

• Love 3

'Super spreader Saturday' thankfully failed to come to pass in Southend thanks to the bad weather, though I'm sure many of the establishments were hoping for a busier first day back.

southend-on-sea-essex-uk-4th-jul-2020-pubs-restaurants-and-other-businesses-in-england-are-free-to-open-their-doors-to-customers-for-the-first-time-since-the-covid-19-coronavirus-lockdown-the-government-is-allowing-them-to-open-from-6am-as-lockdown-measures-ease-in-southend-on-sea-the-seafront-amusement-arcades-and-the-adventure-island-theme-park-have-opened-though-the-cold-windy-weather-is-keeping-many-people-away-some-are-brave-enough-to-sit-outside-cafes-credit-avpicsalamy-live-news-2C5N7TA.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Avpics said:

'Super spreader Saturday' thankfully failed to come to pass in Southend thanks to the bad weather, though I'm sure many of the establishments were hoping for a busier first day back.

southend-on-sea-essex-uk-4th-jul-2020-pubs-restaurants-and-other-businesses-in-england-are-free-to-open-their-doors-to-customers-for-the-first-time-since-the-covid-19-coronavirus-lockdown-the-government-is-allowing-them-to-open-from-6am-as-lockdown-measures-ease-in-southend-on-sea-the-seafront-amusement-arcades-and-the-adventure-island-theme-park-have-opened-though-the-cold-windy-weather-is-keeping-many-people-away-some-are-brave-enough-to-sit-outside-cafes-credit-avpicsalamy-live-news-2C5N7TA.jpg

Great pic!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, aphperspective said:

These people should be forced to spend 24Hrs in an ICU ward watching people drown because their lungs don't work anymore.🤕

Fortunately, protests like this are not common in Canada. This group is probably upset about mandatory mask-wearing (for people who don't have breathing problems) in public spaces that is being instituted in Ontario and Quebec, the two provinces hit hardest by the virus. They should have done this sooner IMO. It probably would have saved a lot of lives.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2

Sign cautioning about social distancing on tourist ferry going out to Great Barrier Reef from Cairns, Queensland, Australia. No PR Stock Photo

"Stay one shark's length apart" - social distancing on the Great Barrier Reef where the tourism industry is about to start up again, as coronavirus appears to be under control across nearly all of Australia.

• Love 3