Your COVID-19 Images

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Nice.  was surprised i didn't see any..    here is my Covid Halloween shot

2D80Y8K.jpg

Good one. It's a very strange Halloween indeed. Here in Vancouver, kids are setting off fireworks everywhere instead of trick-or-treating because as of tomorrow they will be banned in the city. Probably a wise move, but a bit sad as well.

Edited by John Mitchell

9 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Good one. It's a very strange Halloween indeed. Here in Vancouver, kids are setting off fireworks everywhere instead of trick-or-treating because as of tomorrow they will be banned in the city. Probably a wise move, but a bit sad as well.

wow, Vancouver without fireworks feels weird.  To me they were a defining traits, where people would use any occasion to use them...  I remember sitting on Spanish Banks watching them... 

trick-or-treating was extremely low in Ottawa.  a few houses had set-ups like candy bags hanging from clothes drying racks, or my favourite this guy had set up a long tube and would slide candy down from his porch, but mostly it was dark houses and no kids.  hope we can get things back for next year-

Ontario is in trouble due to lack of leadership.  on a day with 1000 new case, Ford tweets about trying to reopen minor league hockey, and is more worried about bodychecks than transmission in change room... long winter ahead.  

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

wow, Vancouver without fireworks feels weird.  To me they were a defining traits, where people would use any occasion to use them...  I remember sitting on Spanish Banks watching them... 

trick-or-treating was extremely low in Ottawa.  a few houses had set-ups like candy bags hanging from clothes drying racks, or my favourite this guy had set up a long tube and would slide candy down from his porch, but mostly it was dark houses and no kids.  hope we can get things back for next year-

Ontario is in trouble due to lack of leadership.  on a day with 1000 new case, Ford tweets about trying to reopen minor league hockey, and is more worried about bodychecks than transmission in change room... long winter ahead.  

Yes, fireworks have always been a big deal in Vancouver. I think it has to do with the city's big Chinese population. Even in the 70's, when I moved here from Montreal, import stores in Chinatown were full of fireworks year-round. The ban will do doubt be bad news for stores like this one.

phatboy-halloween-fireworks-store-in-van

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, fireworks have always been a big deal in Vancouver. I think it has to do with the city's big Chinese population. Even in the 70's, when I moved here from Montreal, import stores in Chinatown were full of fireworks year-round. The ban will do doubt be bad news for stores like this one.

phatboy-halloween-fireworks-store-in-van

I loved them as a kid but my state put a ban on them many years ago.  That still doesn't stop people to go to neighboring states to buy them.  

20 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I loved them as a kid but my state put a ban on them many years ago.  That still doesn't stop people to go to neighboring states to buy them.  

I too was something of a fireworks fiend as a kid. Things were totally different back then. There were virtually no rules of any kind. I cringe now when I think about all the dumb and dangerous stuff I did. Banning fireworks in Vancouver is probably a good idea given that the city is densely populated, and most of the houses are made of wood. Fireworks must cause the fire department a lot of grief. That said, I'm really glad that I had -- and survived -- a free-range childhood. 🏃‍♂️

7 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I too was something of a fireworks fiend as a kid. Things were totally different back then. There were virtually no rules of any kind. I cringe now when I think about all the dumb and dangerous stuff I did. Banning fireworks in Vancouver is probably a good idea given that the city is densely populated, and most of the houses are made of wood. Fireworks must cause the fire department a lot of grief. That said, I'm really glad that I had -- and survived -- a free-range childhood. 🏃‍♂️

Same here, I did a lot of stupid stuff...we had such little oversight then, free-range kids for sure.  I am happy that fireworks are banned here, but that hasn't stopped a lot of people it seems.

6 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Same here, I did a lot of stupid stuff...we had such little oversight then, free-range kids for sure.  I am happy that fireworks are banned here, but that hasn't stopped a lot of people it seems.

I'm sure that will be case here as well. Even the fines won't stop the true fireworks believers. We Homo sapiens tend to be an unruly lot. 😈

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of free-range kids. I grew up in a small town. Mom shooed us out to play, and knew she would have a few hours of peace. We rode bikes, played jacks, marbles, mumblety-peg or fiddlesticks. Yeah, the boys carried pocket knives. We roller skated, played Red Rover, Simon Says and so many other things. Tree climbing being one. Went to the playground in the park. Halloween? We put on our costumes and our parents said, “Be home by 10.” and turned us loose.

Nobody ever thought of poisoning candy or putting razor blades in it. I got homemade brownies, popcorn balls and fudge along with bought candy. Sometimes an apple or orange. Mmm. We trick or treated two nights, the biggest haul was on October 30th because many in the town went to a huge parade/celebration on Halloween night in a nearby town. Nobody ever locked their doors, even when away from home for the day. We locked up when we were going on vacation and didn’t want a storm blowing them open.

Nowadays, most children are supervised fairly consistently. I understand why. It’s not safe out there. But it’s no wonder parents are downsizing families. Parents seldom get much of a break. Especially when it seems kids have so many activities, sports, dance, music lessons, etc that parents have become Uber drivers.
I’m grateful to have grown up in a time of relative innocence.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Speaking of free-range kids. I grew up in a small town. Mom shooed us out to play, and knew she would have a few hours of peace. We rode bikes, played jacks, marbles, mumblety-peg or fiddlesticks. Yeah, the boys carried pocket knives. We roller skated, played Red Rover, Simon Says and so many other things. Tree climbing being one. Went to the playground in the park. Halloween? We put on our costumes and our parents said, “Be home by 10.” and turned us loose.

Nobody ever thought of poisoning candy or putting razor blades in it. I got homemade brownies, popcorn balls and fudge along with bought candy. Sometimes an apple or orange. Mmm. We trick or treated two nights, the biggest haul was on October 30th because many in the town went to a huge parade/celebration on Halloween night in a nearby town. Nobody ever locked their doors, even when away from home for the day. We locked up when we were going on vacation and didn’t want a storm blowing them open.

Nowadays, most children are supervised fairly consistently. I understand why. It’s not safe out there. But it’s no wonder parents are downsizing families. Parents seldom get much of a break. Especially when it seems kids have so many activities, sports, dance, music lessons, etc that parents have become Uber drivers.
I’m grateful to have grown up in a time of relative innocence.

Yes, it's amazing how heavily supervised kids are these days, especially in well-to-do families. In the summer, my mother's last words to me as I headed out the door were, "Don't be late for dinner, dear." That was about it.

• Love 2

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Bravo, monsieur. Great image.

Thank you. 

I tried to go and get some shot from the ceremony today, but with restrictions there was not many spots, plus half the spectators that showed up had no or improper masks, really upsetting.  Started having a mild anxiety attack and decided it wasn't worth it, so I left and went for a long walk in park....  

19 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

Thank you. 

I tried to go and get some shot from the ceremony today, but with restrictions there was not many spots, plus half the spectators that showed up had no or improper masks, really upsetting.  Started having a mild anxiety attack and decided it wasn't worth it, so I left and went for a long walk in park....  

De rien. Since I got back from the moon, I've been taking lots of long walks in the park. It's the best place to be these days. I've always thought that trees are a superior life form. 😎

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I don't know about other stores but my local Tesco has a bin by the exit to put used masks and gloves in.

Allan

i wonder if people who tear their masks off as they are crossing  the door coming out do the same with their underwear when they get home....  

I have had a few times where I had to wait to come in because someone was blocking the entrance just to take their masks off, to then encounter more people face to face who haven't put their masks on yet.

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

I don't know about other stores but my local Tesco has a bin by the exit to put used masks and gloves in.

Allan

My Tesco local branches have bins outside by the entrance and exit, as do most supermarkets, they have been their ever since I can remember. What I don't see is  additional bins to cater for disposable masks. They are often so full you can't drop your used masks in there. Although I wear vinyl gloves when shopping, I notice very few other shoppers do. Same at fuel pumps.

4 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

i wonder if people who tear their masks off as they are crossing  the door coming out do the same with their underwear when they get home....  

Spare a thought for those who find masks very claustrophobic and who may be close to panic after wearing one for a long period.

I for one put mine on at the last possible moment and do not waste a second in removing it the instant it's lawful to do so.

16 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Spare a thought for those who find masks very claustrophobic and who may be close to panic after wearing one for a long period.

I for one put mine on at the last possible moment and do not waste a second in removing it the instant it's lawful to do so.

I don't mind wearing my mask, but it makes my glasses (specs) fog up at this time of year, and I can't see a thing. Cataract surgery coming up soon. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

18 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I don't mind wearing my mask, but it makes my glasses (specs) fog up at this time of year, and I can't see a thing. Cataract surgery coming up soon. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

This was a real bugbear for me (see above- I'm one of the claustrophobes!) but I have a supertip! Only just discovered, I put it on another thread.

Try sneaking the nosepiece forward till it just slips over the mask seam. In my case it leaves enough of a gap to stop the misting completely.

Like so. Careful though, it's a sub-optimal position for the specs and narrows the field of view a bit. If it doesn't work, presumably you've already tried washing-up liquid or anti-mist lens cloth. Not the one you use for camera lenses of course!

DSC06012.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1