Jump to content
John Mitchell

Your COVID-19 Images

Recommended Posts

Most people that come here will probably wonder "what is this horrible photo for", but  those familiar with Canadian Rocky Mountain parks will probably realize how unique it is.   Largest tourist trap in Banff National Park -- Johnston Canyon.   Even in off season, on a work day, you need elbow space and wait in line walking through the canyon. In summer 'gong show' doesn't even begin to describe it -- tour buses, strollers and who knows what else.  But this year everything is different. Parks closures and no vehicle access rules -- so I set of on bicycle (which is still legal mode of transport).    

 

This is the image of Johnston  Canyon Parking lot -- virtually impossible to find spot, even in off-season.   I've been in Rockies for 30years now & really found it quite amazing:

attachment.php?attachmentid=275122

 

 

I cycled with a friend -- our bicycles socially distancing on entrance to canyon:

attachment.php?attachmentid=275110

 

 

Nobody in the canyon, felt eerie walking on tourist planks with nobody around.  And for those of you that have never been here and wonder what Johnston Canyon is all about, here are couple of shots:

attachment.php?attachmentid=275116

 

attachment.php?attachmentid=275118

 

attachment.php?attachmentid=275120

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A common sight these days -- someone using technology to stay connected during the pandemic

 

vancouver-canada-18-april-2020-a-young-m

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

A common sight these days -- someone using technology to stay connected during the pandemic

 

vancouver-canada-18-april-2020-a-young-m

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

not as much on this side, as it was -12 real feel yesterday.  I also see many people in cars just talking on phone.  I guess people  are struggling now to find any kind of privacy with everyone at home 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

not as much on this side, as it was -12 real feel yesterday.  I also see many people in cars just talking on phone.  I guess people  are struggling now to find any kind of privacy with everyone at home 

 

Yes, that too. People are starting to feel cooped up. My pet peeve is people who sit for ages in their cars and leave their engines running while they're on their electronic devices, especially here in Vancouver where there is no need to keep the car heater going.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Yes, that too. People are starting to feel cooped up. My pet peeve is people who sit for ages in their cars and leave their engines running while they're on their electronic devices, especially here in Vancouver where there is no need to keep the car heater going.

This is huge pet peeve for me too.  I can not understand it. Can't people learn something from this situation.   Look how better air is getting globally, pollution levels clearing up,  animals again reclaiming their spots -- just because human race was forced out of their cars for a little bit.   

 

Here's ultimate car idling story.  Was in SE Asia this January,  one of world's most polluted areas.   Guess what happens.  Tour bus parks, tourists go for lunch.  Driver leaves car idling for over an hour. Why?  So that tourists can get back into air-conditioned vehicle.   I am not making this up.   He (driver) didn't even think he was doing something wrong;  he was trying to give better service and consequently get better tip.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

This is huge pet peeve for me too.  I can not understand it. Can't people learn something from this situation.   Look how better air is getting globally, pollution levels clearing up,  animals again reclaiming their spots -- just because human race was forced out of their cars for a little bit.   

 

Here's ultimate car idling story.  Was in SE Asia this January,  one of world's most polluted areas.   Guess what happens.  Tour bus parks, tourists go for lunch.  Driver leaves car idling for over an hour. Why?  So that tourists can get back into air-conditioned vehicle.   I am not making this up.   He (driver) didn't even think he was doing something wrong;  he was trying to give better service and consequently get better tip.

 

 

 

I've seen the same thing in Mexico and elsewhere, even in supposedly "green" Vancouver -- empty tour buses parked outside tourist attractions, restaurants, and hotels with the their engines running and the AC or heaters left on for the returning passengers. Very depressing indeed.

 

Apparently, there is evidence that COVID can be spread by AC systems, which isn't good news for restaurants and hotels when they start to reopen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Apparently, there is evidence that COVID can be spread by AC systems,

 

AC systems are responsible for spreading lots of diseases. Aircraft being one of the worst, so I am told. But look what happened on the cruise liners when covid broke out, people confined to cabins and still contracted covid through the AC systems.

 

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I've seen the same thing in Mexico and elsewhere, even in supposedly "green" Vancouver -- empty tour buses parked outside tourist attractions, restaurants, and hotels with the their engines running and the AC or heaters left on for the returning passengers. Very depressing indeed.

 

Apparently, there is evidence that COVID can be spread by AC systems, which isn't good news for restaurants and hotels when they start to reopen.

 

John, it is my understanding that AC issue is not that it can "live" and spread trough an AC system but more that it can push the virus particles further or in different directions from the person with the virus.  So it is more about air currents in a room.  So if a person with the virus is in a room and leaves, not sure they are suggesting that the virus particles can stay aloft in an AC system for any durable length of time.  Unlike Legionnaires Disease, which was a bacteria that thrived in damp places and moved around in AC ducts.  But there is still so much that is unknown....probably much more than what is known.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

John, it is my understanding that AC issue is not that it can "live" and spread trough an AC system but more that it can push the virus particles further or in different directions from the person with the virus.  So it is more about air currents in a room.  So if a person with the virus is in a room and leaves, not sure they are suggesting that the virus particles can stay aloft in an AC system for any durable length of time.  Unlike Legionnaires Disease, which was a bacteria that thrived in damp places and moved around in AC ducts.  But there is still so much that is unknown....probably much more than what is known.  

Does make you wonder whether cruises will ever happen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Does make you wonder whether cruises will ever happen again.

 

Oh, they'll happen again. Money talks -- it screams actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

John, it is my understanding that AC issue is not that it can "live" and spread trough an AC system but more that it can push the virus particles further or in different directions from the person with the virus.  So it is more about air currents in a room.  So if a person with the virus is in a room and leaves, not sure they are suggesting that the virus particles can stay aloft in an AC system for any durable length of time.  Unlike Legionnaires Disease, which was a bacteria that thrived in damp places and moved around in AC ducts.  But there is still so much that is unknown....probably much more than what is known.  

 

I now think about this every time I go into a grocery store or pharmacy, most of which have circulating air. Physical distancing can only be effective to a degree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of social distancing. I'm sure that everyone is getting sick of the topic, but here's another one...

 

vancouver-canada-22-april-2020-a-sign-on

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Speaking of social distancing. I'm sure that everyone is getting sick of the topic, but here's another one...

 

vancouver-canada-22-april-2020-a-sign-on

 

That's great pic.   And I know where you took it.  North side of False creek.   That's a restaurant on other side,  upper left.  Probably closed now.  Cambie Bridge would be to the left, out of picture.

 

Is that water taxi over there? Couldn't tell for sure.  Are they still running?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Autumn Sky said:

That's great pic.   And I know where you took it.  North side of False creek.   That's a restaurant on other side,  upper left.  Probably closed now.  Cambie Bridge would be to the left, out of picture.

 

Is that water taxi over there? Couldn't tell for sure.  Are they still running?

 

 

 

Thanks for the kind words. The two "socially distanced" young women showed up at exactly the right moment. You're right about the location. I believe that all the False Creek ferries have suspended service. Some restaurants and coffee shops in Yaletown are open for takeout only.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at Entrance to one of the long term care home in Montreal..  The nursing homes around Montreal account for 25% of the deaths in the country at this point.  This is so sad, and messed up how the more venerable people have been abandoned by society....  i really am looking forward to see how things change in future. 

 

i have decided to believe that the "For our heroes" is as much for the workers, as for the patients at this point. 

 

 

2BH8D87.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Merci pour nos Heros.   Vraiment

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A local job agency has reevaluated the worth of home care staff.

 

2BHPPMK.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Going outside on balconies and banging pots and pans together to show support for healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic has become an evening ritual in Vancouver, Canada.

 

vancouver-canada-26-april-2020-a-woman-s

 

 

vancouver-canada-26-april-2020-an-elderl

 

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this qualify as COVID image?   Alternate housing / self isolation!

 

2BHX0Y5.jpg

Took this last nite on my walk;  this teepee is new.   I am really glad I take little Rx100 along.    Mountains are Canmore landmark,  Three Sisters.  This is just outside of Banff National Park. btw I ran into a grizzly about here last yr.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One from a sobering and very wet morning outside the hospital.

 

2BJ2C4D.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Avpics said:

One from a sobering and very wet morning outside the hospital.

 

2BJ2C4D.jpg

 

 

Sometimes the simplest images are the most powerful. These are sad times indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Does this qualify as COVID image?   Alternate housing / self isolation!

 

2BHX0Y5.jpg

Took this last nite on my walk;  this teepee is new.   I am really glad I take little Rx100 along.    Mountains are Canmore landmark,  Three Sisters.  This is just outside of Banff National Park. btw I ran into a grizzly about here last yr.

 

What did Mr. or Mrs. Grizzly do? I encountered a black bear ambling towards me on a trail near Banff once. I just turned around and slowly walked in the opposite direction. When I finally looked back, the bear had thankfully disappeared. In Vancouver, tent cities are being dismantled (supposedly, anyway), and homeless people are being moved into hotels rented by the city to counter the spread of the virus.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Closed for business. (their parking lot has become a trailhead/rollerblading rink/kiddie bicycle training field)

 

IKEA parked shopping carts during the coronavirus COVID-19 shelter-in-place order, a closed nonessential business. Emeryville, California. Stock Photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

 

What did Mr. or Mrs. Grizzly do?

It was a curious young one.   I am usually very aware of my environment when hiking in  back-country, but this is city limit so to speak & I come here couple of times a week so I was less cautious.  Then that feeling like when someone is watching you.  I turn back, and there he/she was -- just staring.  Unmistakable hump, that identifies griz from black bears.  

 

First instinct is to start running, and this is exactly what you should NOT do.  It evokes hunting instinct in wild animal.  So I spoke softly and slowly turned the other way.   But he/she followed me, and that is the bad part.   Eventually it stopped, it was just curious.   I can't be bothered to carry bear spray when doing these short walks, but maybe I should.   Would be helpful for COVID-19 too;  if some COVIDIOT comes too close and start sneezing / coughing on purpose, lol

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.