Your COVID-19 Images

Most people that come here will probably wonder "what is this horrible photo for", but  those familiar with Canadian Rocky Mountain parks will probably realize how unique it is.   Largest tourist trap in Banff National Park -- Johnston Canyon.   Even in off season, on a work day, you need elbow space and wait in line walking through the canyon. In summer 'gong show' doesn't even begin to describe it -- tour buses, strollers and who knows what else.  But this year everything is different. Parks closures and no vehicle access rules -- so I set of on bicycle (which is still legal mode of transport).    

This is the image of Johnston  Canyon Parking lot -- virtually impossible to find spot, even in off-season.   I've been in Rockies for 30years now & really found it quite amazing:

attachment.php?attachmentid=275122

I cycled with a friend -- our bicycles socially distancing on entrance to canyon:

attachment.php?attachmentid=275110

Nobody in the canyon, felt eerie walking on tourist planks with nobody around.  And for those of you that have never been here and wonder what Johnston Canyon is all about, here are couple of shots:

attachment.php?attachmentid=275116

attachment.php?attachmentid=275118

attachment.php?attachmentid=275120

• Love 2

9 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

A common sight these days -- someone using technology to stay connected during the pandemic

vancouver-canada-18-april-2020-a-young-m

not as much on this side, as it was -12 real feel yesterday.  I also see many people in cars just talking on phone.  I guess people  are struggling now to find any kind of privacy with everyone at home 

5 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

not as much on this side, as it was -12 real feel yesterday.  I also see many people in cars just talking on phone.  I guess people  are struggling now to find any kind of privacy with everyone at home 

Yes, that too. People are starting to feel cooped up. My pet peeve is people who sit for ages in their cars and leave their engines running while they're on their electronic devices, especially here in Vancouver where there is no need to keep the car heater going.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, that too. People are starting to feel cooped up. My pet peeve is people who sit for ages in their cars and leave their engines running while they're on their electronic devices, especially here in Vancouver where there is no need to keep the car heater going.

This is huge pet peeve for me too.  I can not understand it. Can't people learn something from this situation.   Look how better air is getting globally, pollution levels clearing up,  animals again reclaiming their spots -- just because human race was forced out of their cars for a little bit.   

Here's ultimate car idling story.  Was in SE Asia this January,  one of world's most polluted areas.   Guess what happens.  Tour bus parks, tourists go for lunch.  Driver leaves car idling for over an hour. Why?  So that tourists can get back into air-conditioned vehicle.   I am not making this up.   He (driver) didn't even think he was doing something wrong;  he was trying to give better service and consequently get better tip.

• Love 1

37 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

This is huge pet peeve for me too.  I can not understand it. Can't people learn something from this situation.   Look how better air is getting globally, pollution levels clearing up,  animals again reclaiming their spots -- just because human race was forced out of their cars for a little bit.   

Here's ultimate car idling story.  Was in SE Asia this January,  one of world's most polluted areas.   Guess what happens.  Tour bus parks, tourists go for lunch.  Driver leaves car idling for over an hour. Why?  So that tourists can get back into air-conditioned vehicle.   I am not making this up.   He (driver) didn't even think he was doing something wrong;  he was trying to give better service and consequently get better tip.

I've seen the same thing in Mexico and elsewhere, even in supposedly "green" Vancouver -- empty tour buses parked outside tourist attractions, restaurants, and hotels with the their engines running and the AC or heaters left on for the returning passengers. Very depressing indeed.

Apparently, there is evidence that COVID can be spread by AC systems, which isn't good news for restaurants and hotels when they start to reopen.

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Apparently, there is evidence that COVID can be spread by AC systems,

AC systems are responsible for spreading lots of diseases. Aircraft being one of the worst, so I am told. But look what happened on the cruise liners when covid broke out, people confined to cabins and still contracted covid through the AC systems.

Allan

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've seen the same thing in Mexico and elsewhere, even in supposedly "green" Vancouver -- empty tour buses parked outside tourist attractions, restaurants, and hotels with the their engines running and the AC or heaters left on for the returning passengers. Very depressing indeed.

Apparently, there is evidence that COVID can be spread by AC systems, which isn't good news for restaurants and hotels when they start to reopen.

John, it is my understanding that AC issue is not that it can "live" and spread trough an AC system but more that it can push the virus particles further or in different directions from the person with the virus.  So it is more about air currents in a room.  So if a person with the virus is in a room and leaves, not sure they are suggesting that the virus particles can stay aloft in an AC system for any durable length of time.  Unlike Legionnaires Disease, which was a bacteria that thrived in damp places and moved around in AC ducts.  But there is still so much that is unknown....probably much more than what is known.  

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

John, it is my understanding that AC issue is not that it can "live" and spread trough an AC system but more that it can push the virus particles further or in different directions from the person with the virus.  So it is more about air currents in a room.  So if a person with the virus is in a room and leaves, not sure they are suggesting that the virus particles can stay aloft in an AC system for any durable length of time.  Unlike Legionnaires Disease, which was a bacteria that thrived in damp places and moved around in AC ducts.  But there is still so much that is unknown....probably much more than what is known.  

Does make you wonder whether cruises will ever happen again.

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I now think about this every time I go into a grocery store or pharmacy, most of which have circulating air. Physical distancing can only be effective to a degree.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Speaking of social distancing. I'm sure that everyone is getting sick of the topic, but here's another one...

vancouver-canada-22-april-2020-a-sign-on

That's great pic.   And I know where you took it.  North side of False creek.   That's a restaurant on other side,  upper left.  Probably closed now.  Cambie Bridge would be to the left, out of picture.

Is that water taxi over there? Couldn't tell for sure.  Are they still running?

1 hour ago, Autumn Sky said:

That's great pic.   And I know where you took it.  North side of False creek.   That's a restaurant on other side,  upper left.  Probably closed now.  Cambie Bridge would be to the left, out of picture.

Is that water taxi over there? Couldn't tell for sure.  Are they still running?

Thanks for the kind words. The two "socially distanced" young women showed up at exactly the right moment. You're right about the location. I believe that all the False Creek ferries have suspended service. Some restaurants and coffee shops in Yaletown are open for takeout only.

Edited by John Mitchell

at Entrance to one of the long term care home in Montreal..  The nursing homes around Montreal account for 25% of the deaths in the country at this point.  This is so sad, and messed up how the more venerable people have been abandoned by society....  i really am looking forward to see how things change in future. 

i have decided to believe that the "For our heroes" is as much for the workers, as for the patients at this point. 

2BH8D87.jpg

Going outside on balconies and banging pots and pans together to show support for healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic has become an evening ritual in Vancouver, Canada.

vancouver-canada-26-april-2020-a-woman-s

vancouver-canada-26-april-2020-an-elderl

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

Does this qualify as COVID image?   Alternate housing / self isolation!

2BHX0Y5.jpg

Took this last nite on my walk;  this teepee is new.   I am really glad I take little Rx100 along.    Mountains are Canmore landmark,  Three Sisters.  This is just outside of Banff National Park. btw I ran into a grizzly about here last yr.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Does this qualify as COVID image?   Alternate housing / self isolation!

2BHX0Y5.jpg

Took this last nite on my walk;  this teepee is new.   I am really glad I take little Rx100 along.    Mountains are Canmore landmark,  Three Sisters.  This is just outside of Banff National Park. btw I ran into a grizzly about here last yr.

What did Mr. or Mrs. Grizzly do? I encountered a black bear ambling towards me on a trail near Banff once. I just turned around and slowly walked in the opposite direction. When I finally looked back, the bear had thankfully disappeared. In Vancouver, tent cities are being dismantled (supposedly, anyway), and homeless people are being moved into hotels rented by the city to counter the spread of the virus.

Edited by John Mitchell

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

What did Mr. or Mrs. Grizzly do?

It was a curious young one.   I am usually very aware of my environment when hiking in  back-country, but this is city limit so to speak & I come here couple of times a week so I was less cautious.  Then that feeling like when someone is watching you.  I turn back, and there he/she was -- just staring.  Unmistakable hump, that identifies griz from black bears.  

First instinct is to start running, and this is exactly what you should NOT do.  It evokes hunting instinct in wild animal.  So I spoke softly and slowly turned the other way.   But he/she followed me, and that is the bad part.   Eventually it stopped, it was just curious.   I can't be bothered to carry bear spray when doing these short walks, but maybe I should.   Would be helpful for COVID-19 too;  if some COVIDIOT comes too close and start sneezing / coughing on purpose, lol

• Like 1