Jump to content
John Mitchell

Your COVID-19 Images

Recommended Posts

Lining up to buy rationed surgical masks at a pharmacy in Taipei. A very organized operation. Every citizen or resident non-citizen has a national health insurance card. Those with a card that ends with an even number can get their ration on even days, those that end with an odd number can get theirs on odd days. On Sundays anyone can get them, if there are still any available for that week. We can get only them once a week, and it’s registered in an online database, so if you got it on Wednesday this week, you can’t get it again until Wednesday next week, either at the same place or at any of the other authorized pharmacies. The ration is now up to nine masks per person per week.

 

2B0B1YA.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

I'll share 1 more image taken last week.   (not on sale either).

This is Canmore Nordic Center.  It was originally constructed for 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary & it's been popular recreation spot since.  It is official Alberta Park.   AB Parks have closed vehicle access, but facility is still open for x-country skiing & locals come up from town (~30 min on foot, depending where you live)

 

attachment.php?attachmentid=274540

 

Image is not particularly good, but it paints a story in time for this part of the world

Love the ski scene, More frames?

 

My Opinion:

On making money from images illustrating our current pandemic world.  It is up to real photographers to make real pictures and then be real

journalists and write effective captions.  These images will be important to civilization for a long time to come.  Making money from images

allows a photographer or journalist to make more images and distribute more information.  Not all images will change the world, but they do

fit together to form a more complete picture. I will say that I have seen too many very mediocre pictures.  

 

NOTE: it is also important to mention again that anyone out making pictures needs to be able to care for themselves as well as not

spreading the virus.  This is not a "Passive issue to cover."  I have also noticed that people are much more on edge these days.

 

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
addition
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't help but notice that with so much enforced social isolation, people's animal companions have become very important to them. I came across this woman and her pug in a park near where I live.

 

vancouver-canada-09-april-2020-a-woman-u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Su Pei said:

Lining up to buy rationed surgical masks at a pharmacy in Taipei

Just an observation but from the UK it seems very strange to see people so close to each other in queues. Not a criticism, every country is different of course, but it would seem that the virus could be spread this way, masks or no masks.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I can't help but notice that with so much enforced social isolation, people's animal companions have become very important to them. I came across this woman and her pug in a park near where I live.

In the UK she'd be moved on, typical quote off Twitter: "Today I got moved on by @hantspolice because I was sitting down for a rest - tens of metres away from anyone, in the middle of empty grass while out for a cycle - all while the building site by my flat remains open"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Just an observation but from the UK it seems very strange to see people so close to each other in queues. Not a criticism, every country is different of course, but it would seem that the virus could be spread this way, masks or no masks.

The Taiwanese government and CDC are promoting social distancing, but they have been so good at keeping Covid-19 outside the country (less than 400 confirmed infections so far despite the proximity to China) that many people don’t seem to take it as seriously as they should.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, that would explain it, much less actual risk then. This thread is very interesting in showing how people all around the globe are dealing with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little late to the party. Here are some store empty shelves I managed before the lock down. These were shot on mobile (PIXEL 2XL) and surprisingly passed QC with no issues.

 

2BARTRB.jpg2BARTRM.jpg2BARTT2.jpg2BARTR2.jpg

... and the queue last week in superstore when I went to do C&C at 08:30 AM

 

2BDG7E5.jpg

finally, my daughters rainbow picture

2BCGT5D.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gnans said:

A little late to the party. Here are some store empty shelves I managed before the lock down. These were shot on mobile (PIXEL 2XL) and surprisingly passed QC with no issues.

 

2BARTRB.jpg2BARTRM.jpg2BARTT2.jpg2BARTR2.jpg

... and the queue last week in superstore when I went to do C&C at 08:30 AM

 

2BDG7E5.jpg

finally, my daughters rainbow picture

2BCGT5D.jpg

 

 

 

nice images.  Curious did they pass QC, or did they go through straight with no review based on your rating?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

 

nice images.  Curious did they pass QC, or did they go through straight with no review based on your rating?

I was skeptical with the mobile images and it went through QC. I'm on the old 3* and have full 3*. It passed QC not one time but twice as I foolishly had the name watermark first time.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gnans said:

I was skeptical with the mobile images and it went through QC. I'm on the old 3* and have full 3*. It passed QC not one time but twice as I foolishly had the name watermark first time.

 

interesting.  Thanks.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

 

interesting.  Thanks.  

 

 

Yep. After that test I'm thinking of using more mobile images although not sure what will be the sale % . Easier to carry and easier to shoot at most places. Sometimes the traditional camera gets challenging like my recent ASDA trip where the security approached me and asked to stop as I was taking images of the click and collect storage boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gnans said:

Yep. After that test I'm thinking of using more mobile images although not sure what will be the sale % . Easier to carry and easier to shoot at most places. Sometimes the traditional camera gets challenging like my recent ASDA trip where the security approached me and asked to stop as I was taking images of the click and collect storage boxes.

 

 

you might want to seek direction from contributor support first.  This might have gone through the crack in these difficult time, and it would be sad if it was to affect your status at later stage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Gnans said:

Yep. After that test I'm thinking of using more mobile images although not sure what will be the sale % . Easier to carry and easier to shoot at most places. Sometimes the traditional camera gets challenging like my recent ASDA trip where the security approached me and asked to stop as I was taking images of the click and collect storage boxes.

+1.

My understanding is that phone images are automatically rejected unless via Stockimo. Like emu I think you've slipped through because QC is below par.

Bet not to take advantage of that, even by accident.

How long did they take to pass?

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

slipped through because QC is below par

😞 Impacting my QC rank is the last think I want to do.

 

It took more than 24 hrs to get past the QC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gnans said:

😞 Impacting my QC rank is the last think I want to do.

 

It took more than 24 hrs to get past the QC.

Sounds like they have been through the proper process, not by default.. Presumably they're OK then.

As long as they're really sharp at 100%..............

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

In the UK she'd be moved on, typical quote off Twitter: "Today I got moved on by @hantspolice because I was sitting down for a rest - tens of metres away from anyone, in the middle of empty grass while out for a cycle - all while the building site by my flat remains open"

 

So I gather. The situation here in British Columbia is not nearly as dire as it is in the UK, so being told to "move on" is much less common. It would only happen if people were gathering in conspicuous groups. There are plenty of people sitting alone on park benches, or having socially distanced conversations in my Vancouver neighbourhood.

 

 

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Love the ski scene, More frames?

 

My Opinion:

On making money from images illustrating our current pandemic world.  It is up to real photographers to make real pictures and then be real

journalists and write effective captions.  These images will be important to civilization for a long time to come.  Making money from images

allows a photographer or journalist to make more images and distribute more information.  Not all images will change the world, but they do

fit together to form a more complete picture. I will say that I have seen too many very mediocre pictures.  

 

NOTE: it is also important to mention again that anyone out making pictures needs to be able to care for themselves as well as not

spreading the virus.  This is not a "Passive issue to cover."  I have also noticed that people are much more on edge these days.

 

Chuck

 

Thank you Chuck.  That pic was casual with small camera, passing by.   I'll go up there with SLR on a sunny day and try to get couple of nice ones.

Agreed 100% about safety & stock agencies have been communicating that as well.   For me it is easy because it is small town with only 11 confirmed infections so far + everybody is very conscious about social distancing.  Problem is in big cities

 

Here are couple more for giggle, not on sale either;   originality just brings smile on your face and yes we are all in this together:

 

attachment.php?attachmentid=274590

 

attachment.php?attachmentid=274588

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

 

So I gather. The situation here in British Columbia is not nearly as dire as it is in the UK, so being told to "move on" is much less common. It would only happen if people were gathering in conspicuous groups. There are plenty of people sitting alone on park benches, or having socially distanced conversations in my Vancouver neighbourhood.

 

 

 

 

 

saw the video of people going to the islands for the week-end.  Surprised, but glad you still have some freedom.  Do not read the news from Quebec today. 😭😷

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

 

saw the video of people going to the islands for the week-end.  Surprised, but glad you still have some freedom.  Do not read the news from Quebec today. 😭😷

 

Well, I did read the news today and oh boy. Legault looked very worried right from the start. I guess he knew it was going to be bad.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vancouver's lively downtown is now almost totally deserted -- "spooky" is the best word to describe it.

 

A lone skateboarder in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery

 

vancouver-canada-10-april-2020-a-young-s

 

 

Boarded-up stores on Robson Street, a fashionable shopping area in downtown Vancouver

 

vancouver-canada-10-april-2020-a-man-wal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

 

 

 

Boarded-up stores on Robson Street, a fashionable shopping area in downtown Vancouver

 

vancouver-canada-10-april-2020-a-man-wal

 

Wow. You know how many times I passed here. Hard to believe this look. Denman probably the same. Just wow.  Is Whole Foods still open?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Well, I did read the news today and oh boy. Legault looked very worried right from the start. I guess he knew it was going to be bad.

 

 

we knew it was bad, since Saturday's is supposed to be  the day Legault doesn't do the press conference....

 

nice image of Vancouver...  i miss wandering, but my sister wants me to be careful in case she contracts the Virus (she works in mental hospital), so i can support the household, so i've kept my walks to residential east end.  I might walk up to the Big O this week.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Boarded-up stores on Robson Street, a fashionable shopping area in downtown Vancouver

 

vancouver-canada-10-april-2020-a-man-wal

 

Why are they all boarded up?

Out of business? Afraid of looting?

 

wim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.