Your COVID-19 Images

10 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Wow. You know how many times I passed here. Hard to believe this look. Denman probably the same. Just wow.  Is Whole Foods still open?

Whole Foods on Cambie Street is still open. Don't know about the one downtown, but I imagine that it is too. All the big grocery stores have remained open.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Whole Foods on Cambie Street is still open. Don't know about the one downtown, but I imagine that it is too. All the big grocery stores have remained open.

Just looked up on Internet,  yes all 3 Van stores are open.   Seniors can start shopping 1 hr earlier than official opening time.  Grocery is deemed essential.

I shopped all the time in Kits store on 4th.  John, don't know if you will remember, it was called "Capers" at a time.   This pic was taken ~2009.  Too bad I lost high-res, it's kinda history now

qrMdHGzbowAL3wYZ1Vpk-9ZR8JCiRfBlKdQsKIXl

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Wow. You know how many times I passed here. Hard to believe this look. Denman probably the same. Just wow.  Is Whole Foods still open?

Just to clarify, I took those two pictures on Friday. Being Easter weekend, downtown was probably even more empty than it is during the week. It was the first time that I had ventured downtown, and I didn't hang around long as I got depressed. Also, it was impossible to find a washroom. 😫

Edited by John Mitchell

2 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

Just looked up on Internet,  yes all 3 Van stores are open.   Seniors can start shopping 1 hr earlier than official opening time.  Grocery is deemed essential.

I shopped all the time in Kits store on 4th.  John, don't know if you will remember, it was called "Capers" at a time.   This pic was taken ~2009.  Too bad I lost high-res, it's kinda history now

Oh yes, I remember Capers. I don't live all that far from there -- in "upper" Kits.

Shopping for Food is my favorite thing & Vancouver is one of best places for that. 

Would be interesting to find if T&T ("Osaka Market" in West  Van, Park Royal,  there are several other stores in metro-Van) has seen decline in sales because it's Asian

54 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

Shopping for Food is my favorite thing & Vancouver is one of best places for that. 

Would be interesting to find if T&T ("Osaka Market" in West  Van, Park Royal,  there are several other stores in metro-Van) has seen decline in sales because it's Asian

Given Vancouver's big "Asian" population, I imagine that stores like T&T are doing OK. That said, Corona beer has seen a drop in sales, so I guess you never know. Shoppers can be strange sometimes.

• Love 1

I read that Corona beer has shut down production, saying it was not an essential service but I haven't heard of any other major breweries shutting down.  Alcohol stores are still allowed to be open here, so there is a demand for alcohol (for obvious reasons).

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/business/corona-beer-production/index.html

16 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I read that Corona beer has shut down production, saying it was not an essential service but I haven't heard of any other major breweries shutting down.  Alcohol stores are still allowed to be open here, so there is a demand for alcohol (for obvious reasons).

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/business/corona-beer-production/index.html

Thanks for the clarification. Guess I've been reading too much fake news again. 🤐

1 hour ago, Autumn Sky said:

This discussion could get interesting -- one could argue that alcohol/liquor etc can never be essential service  (please don't jump at me now everyone, I drink beer and wine too :)

actually when Quebec left the Government controlled liquor store in list of essential services, the issue was addressed.  Though they agreed that they were not per se essential, it was stated that too many people have a dependency of Alcohol, more than we would like to generally acknowledge, and that the impact of not making it available could be major on the health system at a time where it needed to concentrate on Covid 19.  

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

actually when Quebec left the Government controlled liquor store in list of essential services, the issue was addressed.  Though they agreed that they were not per se essential, it was stated that too many people have a dependency of Alcohol, more than we would like to generally acknowledge, and that the impact of not making it available could be major on the health system at a time where it needed to concentrate on Covid 19.  

Think I heard about that

I always thought Government controlled liquor stores in Canada were not necessary.  Maybe for hard stuff,  but Beer and Wine should be widely available (grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. -- like in US).  With ID check of course.  Beer is really a refreshment and wine essential nourishment, just like fruits and veggies :)

btw clerk told me sales were considerably up after pandemic started.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

Think I heard about that

I always thought Government controlled liquor stores in Canada were not necessary.  Maybe for hard stuff,  but Beer and Wine should be widely available (grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. -- like in US).  With ID check of course.  Beer is really a refreshment and wine essential nourishment, just like fruits and veggies :)

btw clerk told me sales were considerably up after pandemic started.

I think for wine the advantage of government controlled liquor store, is the variety on offering out of the big centres, i've had friends in rural Alberta tell me how dire the choices were away from the cities.  

i do think the hybrid Quebec model works, with beer and cheap wines available in grocery stores.   

Yes, I should have clarified, hard alcohol, in my county, is only sold at government run stores but beer and wine is widely available.  But either way, they are all available during the shutdown.  I am not much of a consumer of any kind of booze, it just affects me so badly.

agreed 100% with hybrid model.  Only thing that really bothers me is inconvenience.  Sometimes in summer I'd come really late from the hike & could use that cold beer after the shower.  It's late and liquor stores are already closed, but 7/11 is open.

Second thing I find odd is price difference.  In BC ("BC Liquor Stores") government strictly controls prices & you can buy tall can of Sapporo for ~2 CAD.  In AB it's little different model, and same can of Sapporo will go for 4 CAD!  I mean, if you are going to control it, control it universally end of story.  Like this, living close to AB/BC border I will drive over once every 3-4 months and stock up

6 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, I should have clarified, hard alcohol, in my county, is only sold at government run stores but beer and wine is widely available.  But either way, they are all available during the shutdown.  I am not much of a consumer of any kind of booze, it just affects me so badly.

Michael,

Sorry to say you are not correct.  It depends on the state,  In California you can buy all alcohol in most grocery stores and in Pennsylvania you could only buy alcohol in state stores.

In my opinion: It is seriously NOT amusing that Alcohol and gun stores are considered to be "Essential Businesses."

Chuck

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I don't drink alcohol.

Just use it as a hand rub.

Allan

Is was not me who gave you that red arrow Chuck. Just in case you might think it was with my post following on yours.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

4 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Michael,

Sorry to say you are not correct.  It depends on the state,  In California you can buy all alcohol in most grocery stores and in Pennsylvania you could only buy alcohol in state stores.

In my opinion: It is seriously NOT amusing that Alcohol and gun stores are considered to be "Essential Businesses."

Chuck

I did not give you the red arrow either...not to anyone.  Chuck, reread what you quoted, I wrote, "In my county".  What happens in other states and counties is up to the local governments. I know the rules and laws are different all over. In my state, Maryland, it is up to each county how to control alcohol sales.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I did not give you the red arrow either...not to anyone.  Chuck, reread what you quoted, I wrote, "In my county".  What happens in other states and counties is up to the local governments. I know the rules and laws are different all over. In my state, Maryland, it is up to each county how to control alcohol sales.

Michael,

I stand corrected, It was late and I was working on more Coronavirus images.  I did misread county as country. 

Chuck

• Love 2

21 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

did you get shot of this

Edited by meanderingemu

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

did you get shot of this

No, I missed that fortunately. Apparently, the "massive march" he mentioned in the video consisted of only about 25 people. They are basically conspiracy theorists claiming that governments are exaggerating the seriousness of the pandemic and fudging the numbers. We will no doubt start to see more social unrest like this as people get increasingly restless. I'm already starting to see some young people paying less attention to social-distancing guidelines.

P.S. The video wasn't even shot "downtown" as he says, but in an area on Cambie Street south of the city centre where there are a number of big food stores and lots of shoppers milling around. They make up most of the people seen in the video. Also, there is nothing that resembles a "lockdown" in Vancouver.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

These murals in Vancouver's Gastown area depict Canadian officials and doctors involved in the fight against COVID-19. The shop owner invited artists to paint on the boarded-up windows. She reportedly even paid for the paint.

vancouver-canada-10-april-2020-a-man-pho

• Love 3

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

No, I missed that fortunately. Apparently, the "massive march" he mentioned in the video consisted of only about 25 people. They are basically conspiracy theorists claiming that governments are exaggerating the seriousness of the pandemic and fudging the numbers. We will no doubt start to see more social unrest like this as people get increasingly restless. I'm already starting to see some young people paying less attention to social-distancing guidelines.

P.S. The video wasn't even shot "downtown" as he says, but in an area on Cambie Street south of the city centre where there are a number of big food stores and lots of shoppers milling around. They make up most of the people seen in the video. Also, there is nothing that resembles a "lockdown" in Vancouver.

i lived in the area for a year, so i was pretty sure that was Cambie....  and the protest didn't look like it was really lots of people, which would have been fun for you to capture....i would love a 25 person protest, captures with my 200mm lens 🙂

i guess thankfully for me, most of the newsworthy stuff has been on the other side of town (most exciting thing i've had was the 3rd McDonald shut down for a Covid19 employee, and the image was really boring)

2BCGM7C.jpg

yeah i think people have a weird idea of lock-down.  Yesterday here, people were out, walking around, visiting families from the sidewalk, all while respecting the social distanciation guidelines (it helps that it still not really warm)....  

even the grocery stores are uneventful

2BE36PT.jpg