My first sale on Alamy 10 years ago

My first licence. (WEEeeeee!)  Fortunately prices rose a bit after this first licence.

Littlecote House Berkshire England Stock Photo

BG32RB Littlecote House Berkshire allanbellimages 18 February 2011 Rights Managed

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Placement: Secondary screen
Image Size: up to 1/4 screen
Start: 17 February 2011
End: 24 February 2011

$ 13.14
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Colblimp said:

My first sale way back on the 27th April 2016 for a massive $10.68 for personal use.

two-donkeys-graze-in-a-field-with-a-rainbow-behind-them-in-ballydehob-FB8KCX.jpg

Ahh but they never said how big that pot of gold would be 😂

wim

• Like 1

My first sale in 2009, some months after I joined Alamy more than a decade ago. Do they even license spot size images any more?, 

23 November 2009

Rights Managed

$38.00

Media: Magazine - Print only
Industry sector: Retail books/magazines/newspapers
Sub-Industry: Miscellaneous
Print run: up to 10,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: Spot size
Start: 01 September 2009
End: 01 October 2009

barbed-wire-fence-barbwire-fencing-cut-out-prison-crime-stress-no-B1X5CG.jpg

It was followed a couple months later in February 2010 by this one for $257,  60% to me. Yes, those were the days....a nice result with fewer than 20 images, thanks to many QC failures trying to up-size my 6MP (17MB) shots to 48MB. I was constantly in the sin bin. Ghastly stuff as I learned the ropes, but some of the early ones that passed earned a nice profit and still sell today. I had to go back to an old account to look (I had 2 when they started the News division, a requirement back then). I remember how much easier it was to pass QC once I got my D700, best investment I ever made in my photography, along with taking some classes and working as a photo assistant part time, in between writing gigs. 

24 February 2010 Royalty-free 17 MB
2981 x 1983 pixels
854KB compressed
$ 257.50

save-the-earth-eco-friendly-energy-saving-compact-fluorescent-bulb-B8A93R.jpg

and then twice that year, this one from the same shoot went for $1.00 and then 49 cents under the NU scheme (and the barbed wire was licensed again for $1.00 that December) Even then prices were all over the map, but there were enough $$$ to keep me happy, including $180, $294 and $250 (the last one refunded) in between those piddly NU licenses : 

Ecofriendly solution concept symbol metaphor energy saving compact fluorescent bulb panted in clay pot isolated Stock Photo

8 minutes ago, Marianne said:

My first sale in 2009, some months after I joined Alamy more than a decade ago. Do they even license spot size images any more?, 

23 November 2009

Rights Managed

$38.00

Sub-Industry: Miscellaneous
Print run: up to 10,000
Image Size: Spot size
Start: 01 September 2009
End: 01 October 2009

They're still out there.  I had a "spot size" image sale last month to a UK magazine for a decent $62.46. Hadn't seen one for ages.

Edited by John Mitchell

Image of a cedar tree outside my sister's garage in Grand Bend Ontario.  May 2014.  $16.89 to magazine in Hungary.  I had 4 sales that year over $150 out of 13 sales.  Rarely see that now.  Text book sales have pretty much disappeared.

Happen to be there at the moment babysitting the dog.

alaskan-cedar-chamaecyparis-nootkatensis-DJ4E4M.jpg

Jill

Feb. 1st, 2008 for $100. Took about 17 months.
While I joined quite a bit earlier, my own QC was so bad I could barely get anything accepted. I was so discouraged, I quit submitting for quite awhile. Out of my first 4 sales, 3 were birds. This hummingbird and two bluejays. I’m surprised I ever got anything accepted from a Nikon D70 (8mb?) and had to upsize so much. The D70 shot great images but tended to be noisy. Upsizing isn’t friendly with that. I finally learned how to selectively remove noise.
Betty

female-ruby-throated-hummingbird-archilo

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Nikon D70 (8mb?) 

It was 6MP - I had it and failed regularly after upsizing to 48MB. When we got to 2009 and 12-15MP cameras were coming in everywhere I think I failed 60% of my submissions. In 2009 we went on a round-the-world backpacking trip for a year so I splashed out and got the D300 (13MP) and have not had a failure since - and haven't had to upsize to 48MB since either.

My first sale, 10 Oct 2003 - The Eiger and the Jungfrau, Switzerland, $121.35 (35mm scan).

Second sale dropped in a couple of months later at $560.98.  Of my first 20 sales only two were less than 3 figures and totalled $3748.48.   Those were the days indeed..!

the-eiger-and-jungfrau-from-the-faulhorn

2nd March 2004. Film scan. $175 and a second sale same day for 50% of fee (another $87.50). Don't we wish for fees like that for a month's use? Can't even get close to that for 25 years usage these days.

Sub-Industry: Children's
Print run: up to 1 million
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 02 March 2004
End: 02 April 2004

porcelain-crab-neopetrolisthes-maculatus-living-in-a-sea-anemone-also-AG4345.jpg

• Love 4
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

It was 6MP - I had it and failed regularly after upsizing to 48MB. When we got to 2009 and 12-15MP cameras were coming in everywhere I think I failed 60% of my submissions. In 2009 we went on a round-the-world backpacking trip for a year so I splashed out and got the D300 (13MP) and have not had a failure since - and haven't had to upsize to 48MB since either.

Yes, you are right. D70 is 6.3 MP.
The D300 was a capable camera. It went with me on several trips very successfully. 
This was the camera I was using when the RV camp security people accosted me nastily and accused me of being a member of the press. They had a property lawsuit going on with the city of San Diego. I had the camera on a monopod and was innocently shooting sandpipers. They said, “With a rig like that, you have to be a professional member of the press.”
I had to show them my pictures, (nicely) then they were even more angry because I showed them what a**es they were.

A nice lady, also with security but not with the two men but within hearing distance, approached me 10 minutes later and apologized for their behavior, then explained why they behaved that way. But she said “not really an excuse for bad behavior.” Especially when I was not inside the fence where our RV was parked, but outside on public property.

My X-T2 and RX-100 mk3 doesn’t seem to threaten people. 😊
I don’t understand why I keep confusing MP with MB. I do, and probably will continue since it’s so ingrained now! 😁

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

36 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

With a rig like that, you have to be a professional member of the press.”

It reminds me a bit of an interview I had with a policeman when photographing the Houses of Parliament in London. It was at night and I was using a tripod. His remarks were of the essence that with a camera like that (it was my much loved D300) I was considered suspicious. I said that if I were planning an outrage then I would take all the photos in the daytime with all the other tourists, and that photos taken in the dark were of less use than daytime shots in the planning of the outrage. This did not count for much in his view and was cordially invited to move on (to his credit he was polite all along). I had got the shots I wanted to so I went elsewhere rather than get into a fight for no reason.

17 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

I used a 10MP Sony A100 from 2006 until 2012. It was a great camera. I had virtually no QC failures with upsized images, much to my surprise. It was fine noise-wise up to ISO 800 as well, which was pretty good at the time. Images captured with the Sony continue to license regularly. Perhaps I shouldn't have sold it...

23 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I used a 10MP Sony A100 from 2006 until 2012. It was a great camera. I had virtually no QC failures with upsized images, much to my surprise. It was fine noise-wise up to ISO 800 as well, which was pretty good at the time. Images captured with the Sony continue to license regularly. Perhaps I shouldn't have sold it...

I didn't sell my A350....I dropped it.

Started off here with a Canon 20D of 8MP and had to upsize. Had some QC failures mainly due to my incompetence with digital post processing, but QC was kinder in those days, I got to learn from my mistakes without spendig time in clink.

Mine wasn't so glamorous. Just something I had snapped in a hurry in Soho. Nonetheless still felt very pleased when it popped up on Alamy and then in the Telegraph. I think it made all of $8! 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/galleries/Only-in-America-the-weirdest-experiences/lucky-catweb/

Japanese Maneki Neko, beckoning cats in a shop window in Soho, London, UK Stock Photo

Second pic also appeared in the Telegraph (don't tell them I don't read it please!)  for a stonking sum - i.e. <$6. Detailed the sad demise of Denmark St. in London.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/denmark-streets-rich-legacy/

Since then, happy to say that prices have actually improved for me!

Happy New Year! 🙂

The exterior of the now-defunct 12 Bar Club in Denmark Street, London Stock Photo

Edited by Jansos
typo