How was your July 2019?

Low $$ 😑 and my average CTR tanked as well (though my editorial pseudo was at .98) . This was in contrast to June when my CTR soared to its second highest average for the past 12 months, so hoping that will mean August picks up for sales (when it happens, zooms seem to turn into sales either immediately or two months later). 

Edited by Marianne

4 hours ago, Reimar said:

June was OK.  July was a disaster.  10 sales for $245 gross/$97 net.

Although my MS experiment also tanked in July , it did pull in $173 net.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Always good to hear news from the dark side. My very limited experimenting suggests that -- unlike on Alamy --  images uploaded to the other place quickly descend into the depths of no return. Consequently,  the fish tend to bite only when the bait is fresh (awful analogy, sorry).

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

You may be on to something.  My steady climb when uploading my port' went into a freefall after I finished for the last two months.  Others there have seen a poor June/July as well.  So it could be something similar to what we saw here when Alamy changed their algorithm - some winners, some losers.  As always, the answer is keep plugging away since we can't do anything about all that anyway.

In contrast to Reimar and John's expectations, I was surprised that my new editorial images (taken in 2019) have been suddenly selling well on  "dark side" the past couple of months. For me,  newer images often seemed to languish, while older photos, especially general travel/editorial, seem to sell day after day, I have a handful from as far back as 2010 that still show up on page one on the biggest of those sites for general place name searches from popular tourist destinations and sell regularly on all of them. After not uploading for a couple of years,  in May I uploaded some from a recent trip & many have been selling repeatedly. It seems like you have to make a few sales in the early days and then if you're lucky the files will stay in the pipeline. But it's not the steady predictable stream that it used to be. It's also much easier for files to get lost in the crowd. 

It's funny. When I started learning about stock photography, I remember reading that travel photos could be expected to sell for 5 years and then they would die out, but fortunately older images - even those taken in cities - seem to sell for many years longer. Thank goodness. Because if I had to rely on just new images it would be discouraging. The one and only sale I had here this month was a travel editorial RM photo from 2012. 

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 1

11 sales for $1,104 - best month this year in terms of revenue, but number of sales down.  I'm certainly not complaining; for the size of my port, I'm chuffed to bits with the sales and revenue.  Looking forward to August to see what it brings!

• Love 2
  • Like 1

19 Sales for $452.

Interesting to see the mix of licenses: landscapes, wildlife, cityscapes, lifestyle, flora, macro, people, no people.

It's all the more heartwarming that I sold two that I really like.

• Love 3

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

19 Sales for $452.

Interesting to see the mix of licenses: landscapes, wildlife, cityscapes, lifestyle, flora, macro, people, no people.

It's all the more heartwarming that I sold two that I really like.

Great news! I always love it when I sell one of my favorites. Even better when you find it in use. Hope you do. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

In contrast to Reimar and John's expectations, I was surprised that my new editorial images (taken in 2019) have been suddenly selling well on  "dark side" the past couple of months. For me,  newer images often seemed to languish, while older photos, especially general travel/editorial, seem to sell day after day, I have a handful from as far back as 2010 that still show up on page one on the biggest of those sites for general place name searches from popular tourist destinations and sell regularly on all of them. After not uploading for a couple of years,  in May I uploaded some from a recent trip & many have been selling repeatedly. It seems like you have to make a few sales in the early days and then if you're lucky the files will stay in the pipeline. But it's not the steady predictable stream that it used to be. It's also much easier for files to get lost in the crowd. 

It's funny. When I started learning about stock photography, I remember reading that travel photos could be expected to sell for 5 years and then they would die out, but fortunately older images - even those taken in cities - seem to sell for many years longer. Thank goodness. Because if I had to rely on just new images it would be discouraging. The one and only sale I had here this month was a travel editorial RM photo from 2012. 

I actually meant "newly uploaded" images rather than "newly shot" ones. Newly uploaded images -- regardless of when they were taken -- seem to get buried very quickly over there. I've found that if an image is going to sell, it's usually within a few days of it being submitted. But my sample portfolio is very small, and I haven't been conducting my evil experiment for very long . Alamy's ranking system appears to be far superior.

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I actually meant "newly uploaded" images rather than "newly shot" ones. Newly uploaded images -- regardless of when they were taken -- seem to get buried very quickly over there. I've found that if an image is going to sell, it's usually within a few days of it being submitted. But my sample portfolio is very small, and I haven't been conducting my evil experiment for very long . Alamy's ranking system appears to be far superior.

I meant newly uploaded too - and yes, they either sell quickly or they usually get lost forever - it's a very different model than Alamy's since there are multiple sales. I've got a lot of old images that keep selling (taken and uploaded back circa 2010-2013) but old ones that haven't been licensed before rarely license now - they used to have an algorithm that would throw up previously unlicensed images from time to time - but that's rarer now. 

1 hour ago, Yackers1 said:

Zero sales - still chasing my first licence. Fingers crossed it will come soon. It's encouraging to read other reports and gives me the motivation "kick up the a**e" to keep taking photos and uploading. 

I don't want to look cocky whatsoever. But I had a look at your portfolio and many of your pictures, though nice, have a big problem: most of them are askew. I don't know whether this was intentional or not, but I doubt it would be easy to sell a tilted photo, these days.

Edited by riccarbi
  • Like 1

On 01/08/2019 at 18:53, Stokie said:

Not too bad!

16 sales for $499.

My best sale of low $$$ was refunded and resold the same day for the exact same amount. Also had my lowest ever sale for low $, which also happened to be a distributor sale!

The bad news is i've missed out on a payment next month for the first time in 3 years. I've got $49 cleared.........

John.

for $1 short - would be a nice touch if Alamy paid you that for this month

1 hour ago, Foreign Export said:

for $1 short - would be a nice touch if Alamy paid you that for this month

I agree wholeheartedly!! Especially as i've not missed out for 3 years.

John.

• Like 1

My sales were up and price per sale were up.  Views and zooms were also up.  Granted I only went from 2 sales in 2018 to 3 in 2019 but hey, with a small number of images submitted, I'm happy.  My average gross was much higher for July 2019, which is good.

Rick

• Like 1

Still new to this, so 4 sales for $147 was really pleasing.

Views remained stable, but had the best month for zooms since I started, which hopefully bodes well for the future.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I was $2 short of being paid but happy to say payment in the August batch !

Also nice surprise sale of high $$$ on 31st July, hoping it will stay there !🙄

Carol

So do you mean you will be paid next month?

I have got $98 cleared now, so will get a payment for September.

Well done on the big sale!

John.

Hiya,   I will be paid this month for a few previous sales that took me over the $50 not by a vast amount but everything helps.  Just hoping that the latest bigger one will clear, sometimes they do seem to take ages for buyers to pay and am hoping it doesn't get refunded as I've read this does sometimes happen😮.  Bet you can't wait until September, that's great -  I hate looking at a zero balance😢

Carol

4 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Hiya,   I will be paid this month for a few previous sales that took me over the $50 not by a vast amount but everything helps.  Just hoping that the latest bigger one will clear, sometimes they do seem to take ages for buyers to pay and am hoping it doesn't get refunded as I've read this does sometimes happen😮.  Bet you can't wait until September, that's great -  I hate looking at a zero balance😢

Carol

I had relatively good sales in June and even better in July so should get a bumper payout in September!!

John.