March 2019 favourite uploads

Bill Brooks

Famous Santa Catalina Arch with backdrop of Agua Volcano in Antigua, Guatemala:

colonial-architecture-and-street-scene-d

Got up at 6am for this one, wanting to catch sunrise.  Was probably 10 min late but still ok.  Morning is only reasonable time for this shot as there are simply too many people later on.

16 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Famous Santa Catalina Arch with backdrop of Agua Volcano in Antigua, Guatemala:

colonial-architecture-and-street-scene-d

Got up at 6am for this one, wanting to catch sunrise.  Was probably 10 min late but still ok.  Morning is only reasonable time for this shot as there are simply too many people later on.

Thats gorgeous - made me go wow

Another tiny underwater critter which is not often seen by divers as so small. It's a coral hermit crab, living in a hole in a hard coral. Size of hole around 8 miilimeters. Take with 100mm macro + Subsee +5 external diopter.

coral-hermit-crab-paguritta-sp-uepi-solomon-islands-solomon-sea-pacific-ocean-RXXBX2.jpg

20 hours ago, TABan said:

From a recent Arizona trip.

desert-view-at-sunset-grand-canyon-natio

a-panoramic-view-of-the-grand-canyon-fro

panorama-viewing-east-at-spider-rock-ove

Lovely!  One of personal fav places on the planet.  Spent many happy days hiking there, including rim-to-rim (north to south) crossing in single push few yrs back.   Started at 6pm from North Rim, steady descent on North Kaibab with headlamp past Roaring Springs.   2 am at Phantom Ranch, continued down Colorado River and waited for dawn on little beach, then up on Bright Angel reaching South Rim around noon.

Minor note:  Horizon appears a bit crooked on top photo 

On 14/03/2019 at 23:32, Doc said:

Sparrowhawk feeding on a pigeon in our back garden, early evening - taken at ISO 8000:

sparrowhawk-garden-uk-a-sparrowhawk-feeding-on-a-bird-in-a-domestic-garden-suffolk-uk-RY9TXM.jpg

Kumar

With the crocuses (?) in the back, you managed to lessen the drama of what's going on. And well done for the eye level angle, very effective. 

I also had a sparrowhawk in my garden. I shot quickly through thick windows because the poor victim had a friend in the background pretending to have a broken wing, trying to lure the attacker away. 

I was thinking of entering it in the "Eating" competition but thought it was too gruesome.

CEYR49.jpg

Here is a milder one.

CEYR6T.jpg

White-lipped green treefrog (Litoria infrafrenata) on kitchen window, wet season in Cairns, Queensland, Australia. No PR Stock Photo

Continuing on the backyard wildlife theme, this white-lipped green treefrog (world's  biggest frog) splatted onto my kitchen window, taking an interest in meal prep. S/he is so beautiful, assume they live in the trees outside, long may s/he reign!

14 hours ago, gvallee said:

With the crocuses (?) in the back, you managed to lessen the drama of what's going on. And well done for the eye level angle, very effective. 

I also had a sparrowhawk in my garden. I shot quickly through thick windows because the poor victim had a friend in the background pretending to have a broken wing, trying to lure the attacker away. 

I was thinking of entering it in the "Eating" competition but thought it was too gruesome.

CEYR49.jpg

Here is a milder one.

CEYR6T.jpg

Thanks Gen - praise indeed from an expert - the bird was towards the back of the garden - this was also taken through glass as I think it would have flown off - Canon 7D2 with 100-400mm at 400mm, making an overall equivalent focal length of 650mm and also cropped a bit - so given that,  it was not difficult to be at eye level! The crocuses are growing on the grave of one of our cats :(

Kumar

ps. tend to agree the first is a bit gruesome for the competition!!

T06DNY.jpg

An Irish (I assume) Lass in downtown Charlotte (NC) St. Patrick Day festival.

=====

T06DN7.jpg

Ah! Was called out by a very earnest fellow.  I didn't think to ask if I had to commit all these sins, or if only one was sufficient.

They were in front of a kind of beer garden (actually a packed parking lot), so I assume he was concentrating on drunkenness.  He obviously has no Irish blood. 

Archived