Bill Brooks

March 2019 favourite uploads

White-lipped green treefrog (Litoria infrafrenata) on kitchen window, wet season in Cairns, Queensland, Australia. No PR Stock Photo

Continuing on the backyard wildlife theme, this white-lipped green treefrog (world's  biggest frog) splatted onto my kitchen window, taking an interest in meal prep. S/he is so beautiful, assume they live in the trees outside, long may s/he reign!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gvallee said:

With the crocuses (?) in the back, you managed to lessen the drama of what's going on. And well done for the eye level angle, very effective. 

I also had a sparrowhawk in my garden. I shot quickly through thick windows because the poor victim had a friend in the background pretending to have a broken wing, trying to lure the attacker away. 

I was thinking of entering it in the "Eating" competition but thought it was too gruesome.

CEYR49.jpg

Here is a milder one.

CEYR6T.jpg

Thanks Gen - praise indeed from an expert - the bird was towards the back of the garden - this was also taken through glass as I think it would have flown off - Canon 7D2 with 100-400mm at 400mm, making an overall equivalent focal length of 650mm and also cropped a bit - so given that,  it was not difficult to be at eye level! The crocuses are growing on the grave of one of our cats :(

Kumar

ps. tend to agree the first is a bit gruesome for the competition!!

Posted (edited)

T06DNY.jpg

An Irish (I assume) Lass in downtown Charlotte (NC) St. Patrick Day festival.

=====

T06DN7.jpg

Ah! Was called out by a very earnest fellow.  I didn't think to ask if I had to commit all these sins, or if only one was sufficient.

They were in front of a kind of beer garden (actually a packed parking lot), so I assume he was concentrating on drunkenness.  He obviously has no Irish blood. 

Edited by MilesbeforeIsleep

Posted (edited)

One of the recent one of brush fires on the ridge east of the town where I live.  They're illegal, but happen every year at the end of the dry season.

RYY0K3.jpg

Edited by MizBrown

Posted (edited)

Castillo Del Morro Fort on Entrance to Santiago De Cuba Bay:

wide-panoramic-view-of-castillo-del-morr

Stitch of 3 frames.  Spent some time in PS as photo was taken around noon (timing was not my choice) & light was not good.  An interesting fact:  They try to extort money from you in Cuba whenever they can.  So you pay for entrance to the fort, and then -- you have to pay additional fee if you want to take photos!  Otherwise you have to check your camera at the entrance which is just inside that bridge center right. 

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Slowly getting through my most recent trip to SE Asia and also discovered a few from one a while ago that I forgot about. A couple of favourites.

buddhist-monk-in-orange-robe-walking-acr

young-buddhist-monk-in-orange-robe-study

guide-with-rifle-and-black-man-tracker-l

• Upvote 2

An evening last week at the Lagoon, Cairns Esplanade, Queensland, Australia

T07RTY.jpg

• Like 2

Cold clear misty high overcast softbox sky making everything white. Set Clarity setting to a negative value making the swans look softer and whiter. When we printed B&W in the darkroom we would call this a hi key shot. Mostly white with a very little black for contrast.

Processed two versions and uploaded them both.

trumpeter-swans-cygnus-buccinator-on-a-c

trumpeter-swans-cygnus-buccinator-on-a-c

• Like 2

If I Woof this right I must be on the lead until September. Woof Woof ☹️

RYKT54.jpg

On 01/03/2019 at 22:18, Bill Brooks said:

RT3H07 Took a spaceflight on a klingon battle cruiser last week, the view of sunrise was spectacular.

Concept of sunrise earth from the window of a commercial spaceflight space tourism world space flight travel future technology view high Stock Photo

Wow, this one is really good, Nice composition too !!

A young boy and his scooter at a Bike Criterium in Northbridge Perth Western Australia.

RYYN4C.jpg

T0HBCD.jpg

Burnaby Mountain Park Japanese Ainu totems at sunset after the last snowfall a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1

Biomuseo, a Museum of Natural History and Biodiversity of Panama  located on Amador Causeway near "Bridge of the Americas" in Panama City.  Stitch of 4 frames, very lightly edited in PS via selective HDR toning to bring out the shadows that were too dark

wide-panoramic-view-of-biomuseo-a-museum

• Upvote 1

T0H77M.jpg

Took this during that spell of unseasonal wonderful weather trying to catch the glory of a Hazel tree in full bloom against the other bushes yet to blossom.  Actually had trouble finding other shots of similar whole trees in the database which surprises me - they stand out so well early on.

Now that's a happy clown on a Saint Patricks day parade.

smiling-circus-clown-close-up-T04NKD.jpg

• Upvote 1

From my last shoot before breaking the arm

food-kale-salad-with-shrimp-and-apple-on-it-in-a-home-kitchen-T0H5WF.jpg

food-thai-dish-larb-with-pork-and-a-hot-chili-sauce-T0H62T.jpg

Iglesia San Francisco in Old City Antigua, Guatemala - UNESCO World Heritage Site

iglesia-san-francisco-el-grande-spanish-

London, UK. 23 Mar, 2019. People’s Vote March: Hundreds of thousands of pro-EU supporters attend a mass march to Westminster. People are expected to join the march from Park Lane to Parliament Square beginning at noon with speeches commencing at 2.45pm from all political party’s. Caroline Lucas MP British Green Party politician, addresses the masses. ©Paul Lawrenson 2019, Photo Credit: Paul Lawrenson/Alamy Live News Stock Photo

Caroline Lucas, Green Party MP addresses the masses

Getting soaked waiting for my bus!

Bus Stop road marking in heavy rain, London, England, UK Stock Photo

Parm

• Upvote 1

My new grandson - the only pix I'm allowed to post. Too bad he is the smiliest cutest baby ever. 

new-baby-parenthood-mothers-day-fathers-day-concept-authentic-soft-focus-closeup-of-a-newborn-baby-boy-hand-with-a-vintage-analog-kodachrome-feel-RT6NY3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

River Thames, Millenium Bridge & the Square Mile (City of London) during a particulariy heavy Hailstone shower.

hailstone-storm-over-river-thames-millenium-bridge-city-of-london-england-uk-T15DHE.jpg

Private club in the canyons of Toronto's financial district.

Vertical panorama from multiple images taken with 18MM wide angle on full frame. Then a lot of twisting and turning in photoshop to get curved lines mostly straight.

the-national-club-a-historic-private-clu

• Like 2

Aloha from Hawaii.

view-of-stairway-to-heaven-trail-in-kane

• Like 1