How was your February?

Zooms abysmal, but 7 sales for $126 gross. Doesn't seem too bad (or amazing) to me, but then I haven't been around long enough to remember the good old days (prices)!

I'm wondering what people are selling to get 3 figure sums....?

3 hours ago, Reimar said:

Having started with a MS site mid December, I'm still a few thousand away from getting my whole port up, but already I have about the same net monthly income there ($104).

Blasphemy! ;) 

3 hours ago, Reimar said:

It's good to see a few stellar months out there, but my experience is similar to yours.

One of my worst months (even if it is a short one).  I had 13 sales for $305 and one refund, so really $258.  That amounts to $111 net.  Having started with a MS site mid December, I'm still a few thousand away from getting my whole port up, but already I have about the same net monthly income there ($104).

I can only see that this makes sense and I am glad that I am not the only one that sees this.

Kevin

3 for $277.23 gross.   Two distributors amongst that.

February was my worst month for number of sales since 2016. These last three months have all been quite below par for me.

Not in NU. No PU use restriction on all images. Rarely do Live News.

1 minute ago, Brasilnut said:

Blasphemy! ;) 

1 minute ago, Hellonearth said:

I can only see that this makes sense and I am glad that I am not the only one that sees this.

Kevin

TBH, I think that it depends on what you photograph. Despite the fact that I'd happily cut off my nose to spite my face when it comes to submitting to MS, I doubt very much in any case whether I'd have any success there anyway!

2 minutes ago, losdemas said:

TBH, I think that it depends on what you photograph. Despite the fact that I'd happily cut off my nose to spite my face when it comes to submitting to MS, I doubt very much in any case whether I'd have any success there anyway!

From a quick look at your port, I believe that your isolated illustrative editorials of products would do OK on there. Probably only earn a subs though but they do add up. 

Also the more general touristy type UK shots, especially in sunny weather. 

Three for $85 gross, but I'm not too disappointed because I haven't been here long and don't have even 2/3 of my complete library available yet. 

I'm committed to making this work.

I was, however, disappointed when I realized I was looking at gross when I thought it was net. That was a painful shock to the system. 

1 hour ago, Brasilnut said:

From a quick look at your port, I believe that your isolated illustrative editorials of products would do OK on there. Probably only earn a subs though but they do add up. 

Also the more general touristy type UK shots, especially in sunny weather. 

Alamy may have shot themselves in the foot. Many of their contributors have resisted micro stock until now. 

52 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

He didn't say it was a good income. It was just as bad as his income here.

wim

Maybe so. However, by the sounds of things, the monster is growling at the door, and the monster is REALLY hungry.

wiskerke said: He didn't say it was a good income. It was just as bad as his income here.

But with a smaller port, and in a much shorter period of time.

I agree Liz.  The average port' size for the month was about half of what I have here.  Just starting, I am at the lowest percentage fees, but that will go up in about 3-4 months.  My expectation is that longer term I can double my income with two rather than one library.  It's a lot of work though - I've hardly shot anything in months.

50 minutes ago, Reimar said:

My expectation is that longer term I can double my income with two rather than one library.  It's a lot of work though - I've hardly shot anything in months.

Hmmmm.... I suspected as much. I did wonder how everyone was getting so much time to sell with different agencies!!

4 hours ago, losdemas said:

It would involve a considerable change in mindset and modus operandi for me as well, so I think I'll keep my nose in place for the time being. B)

Feb was OK with 6 or 7 Licenses for $325 and change.  I am concerned about Alamy licensing images

for low fees, but I will plod on.  Not really motivated to do much for stock and I would not touch MS with

a 10 foot pole.  When are you MSers going to realize that MS is the main reason for lowered license fees.

One interesting point for me was that most of my licenses in 2019, over 20,  have been images scanned from

35mm chromes, but the license fees NEED TO INCREASE.

11 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

but the license fees NEED TO INCREASE.

I would like to know if Alamy are fighting tooth and claw to negotiate the best price, or if they hardly negotiate at all and accept the buyers offers. I was concerned to read in a post a month or so back when (I think) our John Mitchell said, when negotiating his own prices directly with a client, he normally gets what he asks for. Does that mean that Alamy only ask these low prices that we are seeing more often? 

Archived