Whilst I wouldn't dream of giving up on my beloved desktop iMacs for PP,  I'm wondering how many people are using Laptops for PP these days.

When I first signed up to Alamy back in 2006, laptops were a big no no!

For various reasons they just weren't suitable.

I do a lot of post on iPads, but not for Alamy. The results are fine for the other agencies that I supply and the type of work they accept, but I think QC would throw a fit if I tried submitting the results to them!

I'm particularly interested in anyones experience with MacBook's as I am not a fan of Microsoft.

I use a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GM RAM), which works fine with Lightroom (8.0 / Classic CC). The only issue's I've had are with the keyboard (1st generation), which I've already had replaced once and need to have replaced again. So if you get MacBook, make sure you get the latest model with the latest generation of the keyboard – I don't remember if it's 3rd or 4th – which is supposed to have fewer issues with keys getting stuck, etc.

I use my laptop for the bulk of my basic processing - but then my desktop screen is an old flatscreen TV,  and even with extreme fiddling the resolution and colour are horrible on it (not to mention it seems half the software out there these days tries to set its own colour and resolution).  My laptop is much newer and while the screen is not going to be great I can see colours better.  My processing as far as Alamy goes is fairly basic anyway - crop, straighten, tweak colours if I have to.  My rule is if a photo needs any more than that doing then it is not good enough for Alamy.  Now I may be being over cautious with that approach - but I keep passing QC.  

At some point in the future, I do intend getting a proper photo quality monitor and hopefully a calibration tool as well, but they come after a lens lol.  

I do a little bit of processing on the "big" screen at the moment - but it tends to be when I am actually getting into serious modification and manipulation when I will be using photoshop not Lightroom, and is never for Alamy stuff.

Of course, the other big plus for the laptop is on the occasions when I get asked to cover something newsy I can take the laptop with me - take the photos process the photos and upload the photos in a few minutes. 

4 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

My lappy runs my photography business - don't own a desktop and I don't think I ever will.  My lappy is perfectly fine for LR, no problems at all.

I run on a laptop right now, too...have a couple monitors. Works for me just fine and more functional for me too. I can keytag and curl up on the couch.

Just now, MandyD said:

I run on a laptop right now, too...have a couple monitors. Works for me just fine and more functional for me too. I can keytag and curl up on the couch.

Those who don't use a lappy don't know what they're missing!

3 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Those who don't use a lappy don't know what they're missing!

I really find laptops infuriating and impossible to use productively. The touchpad and/or mouse buttons are awkward to use, the keyboards are fiddly and less responsive. Balancing a laptop on my knees just makes working a pain, sometimes literally, in the neck and using one  on a table is almost always a poor compromise for a  proper desk.  I think I'll keep my desk, swivel chair and desktop computer where I can work efficiently and in a degree of comfort.  And as for tablets......

2 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I really find laptops infuriating and impossible to use productively. The touchpad and/or mouse buttons are awkward to use, the keyboards are fiddly and less responsive. Balancing a laptop on my knees just makes working a pain, sometimes literally, in the neck and using one  on a table is almost always a poor compromise for a  proper desk.  I think I'll keep my desk, swivel chair and desktop computer where I can work efficiently and in a degree of comfort.  And as for tablets......

Strangely, I have a proper, oak, desk on which I place my lappy...  I'm used to the touchpad, which is dead easy and very precise and the keyboard is just a keyboard.  No problem at all.

Main system is an iMac, but I work from different locations so use a Macbook Pro when away from home. Both have LR and I import catalogs from one to the other. But I use a wireless mouse with the laptop as I find the touchpad difficult. LR works fine on both. I also use an iPad for editing in AIM.

my system at work...the regular gig...still a laptop and 2 monitors....grab and take it everywhere, meetings, home if I need too...can't do that with a desktop.

9 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

+1. Desktop for me. 

11 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

+1

I've used a MBP 17" for many years... now that I have a PC with 27" screen, wouldn't go back. Never used the trackpad for editing, and frankly for anything else, but a normal mouse...

Not only the screen size, but also the speed (even with similar specs, a desktop will usually have better performance due to better thermals) and having large internal drives to have all my data avaible are also factors...

25 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

This is really just another "Canon or Nikon?" question, isn't it?

Alan

Not really, Alan. I can work equally effectively with either a Nikon or a Canon. On the other hand I can't work effectively with a laptop as my main PP machine (although I use one on the rare occasions I'm on-the-road).  I think it's a significant question, lest any newbie stumbles across a thread like this and concludes that going for a laptop as their main PP machine is the better option - I would say not.

We've strayed from the OP's main question as to whether anyone is using a Macbook as their go-to PP, and that is a question I certainly can't contribute to until I can afford another mortgage :).

The boring H&S bit.  :)

My main concern is the posture that many take when using a laptop.  Even on a desk the screen is usually too low causing the user to be looking down often for long periods.

This would not pass a Display Screen Equipment risk assessment.  Roughly speaking -  Feet flat on the floor, Elbows should be at right angles when using the keyboard and screen height should be level with the user's face.

You can get docking stations and bases for laptops which raise the height but it is not enough to comply with the above.

2 hours ago, John Walker said:

The boring H&S bit.  :)

My main concern is the posture that many take when using a laptop.  Even on a desk the screen is usually too low causing the user to be looking down often for long periods.

This would not pass a Display Screen Equipment risk assessment.  Roughly speaking -  Feet flat on the floor, Elbows should be at right angles when using the keyboard and screen height should be level with the user's face.

You can get docking stations and bases for laptops which raise the height but it is not enough to comply with the above.

I'm a bit low then but I'm at a bureau. I suppose I could put the all-in-one on some paintpots or something.

I assume you mean screen centre at eye height?

I use my laptop when out in the real world doing news to upload quickly but for stock I always use my desktop - easier to use, bigger and better monitor, quicker.

I would never use a laptop for editing when a PC is within reach.

But then I do have quite a cheap laptop.

I used a laptop until about 18 months ago and it worked OK for me - provided I set it up correctly.  The involved an angled support to raise the laptop monitor to a good working height, external keyboard and mouse, and a calibrated second monitor to act as the primary editing screen.  I'm now using a desktop with two external monitors but I didn't move over because the laptop/second monitor was inconvenient for working.  I could get simply get more computing power for my limited budget with a desktop.

I used to work on a 21.5" iMac. After the fire that made me a nomad, someone bought me a MacBook Pro 13". It took me all of 10 minutes to get used to using it to do my PP and everything else.

It reminded me of when I switched from reading printed books to a Kindle reader. That adjustment took no more than half a page to get used to.  

Edo

Archived