Just received the following email from Alamy with the above subject line, but zero information about how this is supposed to be beneficial to contributors in any way whatsoever.

"If your images aren't available for sale* elsewhere, let us know by marking them as 'only available on Alamy' in the 'optional' tab of the Alamy Image Manager (AIM). 

If you'd like all images in your collection to be marked as exclusive, just reply with the word 'ALL' and we'll do the hard work for you."

" *if your images are displayed on your own site & social media platforms etc but aren't available for sale elsewhere you can still mark them as exclusive."

Give us a reason to do this, Alamy, please.

Not sure but my images are all marked "Exclusive to Alamy".

It could be to do with trying to chase up copyright dodgers or intellectual  property thieves.

Again it could be that Alamy is going to make exclusive images a higher price to licence.

Allan

Mine are only available on Alamy, and Alamy have already marked them as such at my request.

Now all we need is for Alamy to make a fourth tab available to buyers ; ie. New, Creative, Relevant and "Only available on Alamy"

Kumar

ps. I have not received such an e-mail from Alamy

9 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

I've not had an email, but my question is this.... can you mark them as exclusive to Alamy if they are also in Alamy's distribution scheme ?

I guess that's a question the Alamy bods can answer.

You must be able to.

8 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

I've not had an email, but my question is this.... can you mark them as exclusive to Alamy if they are also in Alamy's distribution scheme ?

I guess that's a question the Alamy bods can answer.

Yes.  You have submitted to Alamy, they pay you for usages.  You have no direct contract with any of the distributors, only with Alamy.

17 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Do images offered for licensing through your own website count as being available somewhere else? Or is Alamy referring only to images on other stock agencies? I've never been clear on this.

Didn't get the e-mail.

The e-mail states:

*if your images are displayed on your own site & social media platforms etc but aren't available for sale elsewhere you can still mark them as exclusive. 

7 hours ago, Reimar said:

The e-mail states:

*if your images are displayed on your own site & social media platforms etc but aren't available for sale elsewhere you can still mark them as exclusive. 

Thanks, Reimar, I hadn't seen that. Still not sure, though. The images displayed on my PhotoShelter website are for sale -- theoretically anyway, buyers are few and far between these days -- so I'm not sure where that leaves me.

This thread sort of begs the question, what kinds of images would be best made exclusive -- i.e. what types of exclusive images do buyers actually want?

I would think that for most subjects, customers wouldn't care whether or not images are exclusive to Alamy. In what cases might they care?

I received a mail from Alamy recommending the exclusive offer of pictures.

So far I offer my pictures at many different agencies. 

Does exclusivity make sense? Does this increase sales opportunities?

Are exclusive images placed higher in search results? 

Does anyone have any experience in this case?

Thank you very much!

ALAMY: Who's messing about with my original thread?!!!  The original subject has been changed and a tag added - both seemingly by someone whose first language isn't English.  If this isn't someone at Alamy, then I would suggest an investigation into the security of the forum.  If it was an Alamy employee, then WHY?!

17 hours ago, Sally said:

I’ve not had the email, but only contribute to Alamy, and it would be useful to have this as a default setting, rather than have to tick the box all the time. I will email them...

There is a bit of a catch. This cannot be set as a default for further uploads, but Alamy can set all of your current photos to be marked as exclusive. Since I’ve already done this it’s not of much benefit. 

16 hours ago, Reimar said:

The e-mail states:

So, if I don't understand wrong...if I sell through my own website, then I can still mark them as 'exclusive to Alamy''?

Or they only mean that they allow you to "display" them, not selling... :huh:

thank you and regards

Most of my images are marked as Exclusive to Alamy. I guess the main advantage is that this way a potential buyer will be aware that he won't be able to buy "that" specific photo elsewhere (and specifically not from an MS website). About a potential ranking advantage,... I have no idea; though, it could make sense and be absolutely reasonable for Alamy to give a boost to those pictures that are exclusive to them, IMHO.

27 minutes ago, losdemas said:

ALAMY: Who's messing about with my original thread?!!!  The original subject has been changed and a tag added - both seemingly by someone whose first language isn't English.  If this isn't someone at Alamy, then I would suggest an investigation into the security of the forum.  If it was an Alamy employee, then WHY?!

Hi Losdemas,

We sometimes merge threads of similar topics to tidy up the Forum pages. However, this is not how it is meant to work, so we will contact the forum providers and ask them to look into it.

Thanks

Alamy

21 minutes ago, shearwater said:

So, if I don't understand wrong...if I sell through my own website, then I can still mark them as 'exclusive to Alamy''?

Or they only mean that they allow you to "display" them, not selling... :huh:

......displayed on your own site & social media platforms etc but aren't available for sale......

Exactly that, I would say. They wouldn't be exclusively for sale on Alamy otherwise.

• losdemas changed the title to Exclusivity
1 minute ago, Alamy said:

Hi Losdemas,

We sometimes merge threads of similar topics to tidy up the Forum pages. However, this is not how it is meant to work, so we will contact the forum providers and ask them to look into it.

Thanks

Alamy

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I've removed the tag and corrected the Title spelling.

28 minutes ago, Alamy said:

Thanks

Alamy

Alamy, while you're on, could you give the database wheels a kick to get them up to date as updates seem to have a 48 hour or so delay. Do you give out food vouchers?

36 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Alamy, while you're on, could you give the database wheels a kick to get them up to date as updates seem to have a 48 hour or so delay. Do you give out food vouchers?

:lol:

Just a round of drinks at the bar would do! 

B)

Archived