15 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

What is instagram?

Allan (the old fogey)

I’m with you. I don’t know what FB is either. But I have recently started using Twitter. 

17 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Plus I hate using my phone for photographs lol

Me too. Absolutely last option to use my iPhone - and I don't like Facebook's/Instagram's interpretation of copyright and use. Would definitely only post small images with heavy watermarks and/or links to photos and videos for advertising purposes.

Edited by Niels Quist

Instagram started life as a fun iPhone app with a square polaroid look but it is now a really major marketing tool for professional photographers. There is a lot of world class photography on Instagram as well as loads and loads of all sorts of stuff -  remind anyone of anything? The benefits probably far outweigh the risk of somebody stealing your pics and making money out of them.

You don't need to use a phone to take pictures for Instagram. You need a phone or tablet to upload pics using the app.I certainly don't upload phone pics. I upload some of my best work to showcase it and raise my profile. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Niels Quist said:

Me too. Absolutely last option to use my iPhone - and I don't like Facebook's/Instagram's interpretation of copyright and use. Would definitely only post small images with heavy watermarks and/or links to photos and videos for advertising purposes.

I generally use my phone for twitter - a couple of shots of teams warming up before a match with both teams tagged usually results in retweets which gets my site seen by a good number of people who may be interested in the shots of the match.  I have to work Instagram into something similar but I don't seem to be finding a natural workflow to it.

21 hours ago, MDM said:

Instagram started life as a fun iPhone app with a square polaroid look but it is now a really major marketing tool for professional photographers. There is a lot of world class photography on Instagram as well as loads and loads of all sorts of stuff -  remind anyone of anything? The benefits probably far outweigh the risk of somebody stealing your pics and making money out of them.

You don't need to use a phone to take pictures for Instagram. You need a phone or tablet to upload pics using the app.I certainly don't upload phone pics. I upload some of my best work to showcase it and raise my profile. 

I suppose I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to social media. Can someone explain the benefits and how it promotes your work, I can't see image buyers searching Instagram for images.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BobD said:

I suppose I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to social media. Can someone explain the benefits and how it promotes your work, I can't see image buyers searching Instagram for images.

It's not rocket science that your work being seen is important... (unless all you do is stock)...

Marketing is about being seen, Instagram is the largest image based social media platform (at the moment - another will come along at some point)..

Many in any image related business look there for inspiration, ideas and, yep, you got it, photographers that do the kind of work they are looking for...

• Love 1

Guys and gals leaving details here - don't forget to follow back. It's kinda polite. You don't have to actually like anything but at least gizza follow. Most that I've followed from here are following back but there are a few who are not and have been active since dropping their usernames here. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MDM said:

Why the red arrow? Please take a moment to explain arrow thrower.

can't say I understand that one either

OK so I signed up.

https://www.instagram.com/bobhdeering

and followed all on this thread that have given their details.

A couple of questions.

What size images do you all upload?, I added one 500px wide as a trial and it seemed to get stretched and look pixalated.

I didn't add any description or tags when uploading and it now seems that I cannot edit to add these on, or am I missing something?