30 minutes ago, BobD said:

OK so I signed up.

https://www.instagram.com/bobhdeering

and followed all on this thread that have given their details.

A couple of questions.

What size images do you all upload?, I added one 500px wide as a trial and it seemed to get stretched and look pixalated.

I didn't add any description or tags when uploading and it now seems that I cannot edit to add these on, or am I missing something?

Hi Bob, I usually do 1000px wide so that will hold up on an ipad or computer screen.  These are for non iphone pics, ones shot with my regular cameras.

On 7/19/2018 at 07:09, MDM said:

Instagram started life as a fun iPhone app with a square polaroid look but it is now a really major marketing tool for professional photographers. There is a lot of world class photography on Instagram as well as loads and loads of all sorts of stuff -  remind anyone of anything? The benefits probably far outweigh the risk of somebody stealing your pics and making money out of them.

You don't need to use a phone to take pictures for Instagram. You need a phone or tablet to upload pics using the app.I certainly don't upload phone pics. I upload some of my best work to showcase it and raise my profile. 

Will any old tablet do for uploading to Instagram or does it have to have an "i" in front of its name?

I'm totally out of it when it comes to this stuff.

1 hour ago, BobD said:

OK so I signed up.

https://www.instagram.com/bobhdeering

and followed all on this thread that have given their details.

A couple of questions.

What size images do you all upload?, I added one 500px wide as a trial and it seemed to get stretched and look pixalated.

I didn't add any description or tags when uploading and it now seems that I cannot edit to add these on, or am I missing something?

I find Image Sizes very useful. Vertical images tend to look better as they use the full size (1350x1080 pixels I think). As far as I know you need to add tags when posting or the image won't appear under those tags. The purpose of that is so that other people will see them. Play around and you will soon get the hang of it.

41 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Will any old tablet do for uploading to Instagram or does it have to have an "i" in front of its name?

It's certainly not restricted to Apple devices but I don't know that any old (literally) device will work because the software may not run. I am no expert though.

58 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I have an android phone (I know..:o)

16 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I am uploading from a pc, a little convoluted but quicker than saving to a mobile/tablet.

On 21/07/2018 at 11:24, BobD said:

I am uploading from a pc, a little convoluted but quicker than saving to a mobile/tablet.

I upload to DropBox from my pc then transfer via my android. Slightly convoluted, but once you are used to it, you do it automatically and it doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Crop to square and size 1080x1080, which is Instagram's 'native' size. 

https://help.instagram.com/1631821640426723

• Love 1

37 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I upload to DropBox from my pc then transfer via my android. Slightly convoluted, but once you are used to it, you do it automatically and it doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Crop to square and size 1080x1080, which is Instagram's 'native' size. 

https://help.instagram.com/1631821640426723

There is a way to do it direct from a pc.

First right click on the instagram screen and click on inspect.

At the top left of the inspect panel click in the 2 overlapping rectangles.

Now refresh the page and all the icons will appear.

15 minutes ago, BobD said:

There is a way to do it direct from a pc.

First right click on the instagram screen and click on inspect.

At the top left of the inspect panel click in the 2 overlapping rectangles.

Now refresh the page and all the icons will appear.

I'll have another look. I'm pretty sure when I started, I had to keyword via my phone; presumably you're saying we can now keyword via pcs?

9 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I'll have another look. I'm pretty sure when I started, I had to keyword via my phone; presumably you're saying we can now keyword via pcs?

When you say keyword I assume you mean hashtag.

I am still learning the ropes myself but I did upload an image, captioned and tagged this morning from my pc.

You have to have the app installed on the pc I think, I have anyhow.

1 minute ago, BobD said:

When you say keyword I assume you mean hashtag.

I am still learning the ropes myself but I did upload an image, captioned and tagged this morning from my pc.

You have to have the app installed on the pc I think, I have anyhow.

That's great! My typos are bad enough without my fat fingers on phone keypads!

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur, I call them keywords, not hashtags or tags.

@lizworld_1: mostly heavily filtered wildlife (I'm an artiste manquée)

@lizworld_2: mostly heavily filtered cityscapes (ditto) Might move out into more general stuff.

@lizworld_3: wildlife photos.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

I followed everyone back that followed me!

Since I have been on Instagram since I started photography in 2013, I know most of how it works.

My biggest image sale, was from one of my long time instagram followers for the company he works for. So earning lot of money through instagram is possible.

But as mentioned before, it is for being seen and to show your best work.

Quality is everything, quantity is negative.

Posting a lot of images each day IS negative for your boost, since nowdays Instagram algorithm is to be seen and only that.

So posting 1 image a day is negative for you, but posting 2-3 images a day with a few hours between is/could be the best thing.

Posting more than 3 a day would probably just be negative again for your account, because of the mentioned algorithm.

To give your images a boost you need to use proper tags/hashtags. Hashtags like #river #tree #people and ordinary hashtags, would probably not give you the boost/views you want since there are to many images with the same hashtags. But giving more local tags would be best like #Thames #Thamesriver #London #UK #visit_uk #visit_london and other hashtags that people/companies use for showing tourists what they can expect when visiting your place (Max 30 hashtags is allowed, and use atleast 10).

And to give your account more boost, you need to be active. You need to like other people's images, and watch other peoples stories. It would probably boost your account adding short videos/images to your story also. Like me myself when I have been out photographing the northern lights and just posted it on instagram, I go and like other peoples northern lights images that is found by #northernlights #auroraborealis. But do not like more than 20-30 images a hour, so you wont get temp-banned for acting like a robot.
It is also important to like the images for your followers and people you follow, since your images will then appear earlier in their feed.

Since I use Android, I use an app called Airdroid to send my images from my computer to my phone. It's easy and fast.

Here is how you do it:
Start the Airdroid app, find your internal ip (etc. 192.168.1.10) and connect with your Firefox/Chrome etc: https://192.168.1.10:8888 and accept on your phone.
Open the Photo/Images folder in your browser (your phone) and choose upload

Exit Airdroid app, and start Instagram on your phone.

Then your newest image would be first chosen when clicked the + icon.

Usually I don't resize since instagram will do it when posting, but it will be faster and better to resize.

Before posting an image, you can choose on instagram if you want 1:1 format or your original format.

49 minutes ago, BobD said:

Only been a member a few days and already someone hacked into my account, not that they can do any damage but it does make you wonder about their security.

Would you like to elaborate on how that happened and what exactly happened for the benefit of us all? Could it be your own security? You said you were using a computer and some non-standard way to upload images. 

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Would you like to elaborate on how that happened and what exactly happened for the benefit of us all? Could it be your own security? You said you were using a computer and some non-standard way to upload images. 

I have been using it since 2011 without issue