15 hours ago, andremichel said:

Do hashtags work just like keywords? 

When posting an image to Instagram, does it make sense to add # in front of each of my existing Alamy keywords and include most of them? 

No except for the ones that  are really relevant and already exist on Instagram but it depends I guess on what you want out of Instagram. If using it as a marketing tool, then you want to get your stuff seen by people who might be interested as well as build up a following - the latter is essential to be taken seriously and takes a bit of work. You need to follow other people and like their images to build up a following. Consistency in liking is important to maintain a following.

Your images are obviously very good but you will receive very few likes until you build up a following. It is important to appreciate that most people you are mutually following will not be producing professional quality images but you have to give likes to followers or they will desert. You will find that you are getting followed by all sorts of people who only follow you to get you to follow them and then they unfollow you. There are tools to combat this as it is impossible to keep track once you start to gain followers. 

I would advise you to post a lot less frequently as it can be  annoying to get loads of stuff from the same person in one's feed even if the material is good. It is open ended and there is no hurry. I think once a day max is about right although I have been lax lately and only posting about once a week. 

• Like 1

Just wondering about image shape on instagram.  So far anything I've posted has ended up square.  Horizontal images have been cropped at the sides, and vertical images have been cropped both top and bottom.  Is that the norm or are there a way to set image dimensions?

6 hours ago, MDM said:

That is difficult to judge as your account is private. It needs to be public if you are intending to use it for marketing etc.

Changed.  The whole world can see now!

2 hours ago, MariaJ said:

Just wondering about image shape on instagram.  So far anything I've posted has ended up square.  Horizontal images have been cropped at the sides, and vertical images have been cropped both top and bottom.  Is that the norm or are there a way to set image dimensions?

When you are uploading there is a little cropping box which allows you to change the dimensions as all images will initially appear square.

I found Instagram image sizes and related info on other social media image sizes fromLouise Myers very useful. I have a couple of Lightroom exports saved for this purpose (one portrait and one landscape). Vertical images have the most impact as you can't rotate the Instagram app. Vertical images have maximum size of 1350 pixel. Horizontal max size is 1080 pixels so full vertical images have 4:5 dimensions. Before my time there the only allowed format was square which would be 1080x1080.

Edited by MDM

1 minute ago, Colblimp said:

It absolutely is rubbish, I agree!!!

NAH. It's not that bad. But I think it is worth using Instagram as a showcase for one's best work - I've booked a wedding or two from people seeing my stuff on there. 

1 minute ago, MDM said:

NAH. It's not that bad. But I think it is worth using Instagram as a showcase for one's best work - I've booked a wedding or two from people seeing my stuff on there. 

I guess I should start using it properly lol

13 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I guess I should start using it properly lol

Definitely worth it. It is a lot of work building up a following so I have quite a mix of stuff on there. I started from scratch just over a  year ago and found it hard initially until I started posting my Irish landscapes.  There are a lot of Irish landscapers at all different levels which helped me to get a decent following by liking, commenting (on the good stuff) and following. My thinking is that you need enough followers to show that you are a serious and popular photographer but not so many that it becomes unmanageable as I do like to look at and like stuff that followers post. It's a big game really but I like to play it fair - there are a lot of people who follow and then unfollow as well as a lot of people who never give a like back. I find this behaviour very arrogant which is why I got a useful little app that tells me what is going on. Overall I think Instagram is very positive though and worth the effort.

OMG. I'm not even going to think about it. A number of you guys have yours private, you know. I can't see them so maybe something you want to change. (Not just for me).

Paulette

• Love 1

Is Instagram worth it? I am generally averse to social media, abhor FB, but I did resurrect a dormant Twitter account and have been promoting my photography through that, which has been very useful, and which sends folk to my website. Would instagram add anything? 

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sally said:

Is Instagram worth it? I am generally averse to social media, abhor FB, but I did resurrect a dormant Twitter account and have been promoting my photography through that, which has been very useful, and which sends folk to my website. Would instagram add anything? 

I've not used Instagram much (pretty much just resurrected my account a couple of days ago) but i get the sense that different audiences use the two platforms. I get the sense that a younger audience uses Instagram than maybe uses Twitter. If you are running a business, I guess it's another avenue of promotion which is worth doing for the sake of 15 minutes a day.

Just now, andremichel said:

So far (just been doing it a few days), I've followed anyone who's followed me first. I noticed today that I've lost 2 followers. How do I work out who they are?

Don't worry too much about it - some people will follow just to get follows back, then they ditch you. It's just how some play the game. 

2 minutes ago, Gina Kelly said:

Don't worry too much about it - some people will follow just to get follows back, then they ditch you. It's just how some play the game. 

Yes thats what I figured. So I thought I'd remove them, but don't know who they are.

Edited by andremichel