John Mitchell

Slow month?

272 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Slow month?

Slow career?

Take comfort.

You can't easily fall as far as this photographer did:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/johnny-depp-other-stars-serious-debt-problems.html/7/?ref=cpc_medium

Wow! It could take her awhile to pay off $15 million. My debts look paltry in comparison. But it's all relative, of course.

As they say, if you owe £1000 you have a problem.

If you owe £1M the bank has a problem.

My first time posting via my iPhone because I'm away from my laptop while I travel with only a small backpack. Just wanted to let folks know I've had four Alamy Stock sales so far as of the 15th of the month (two newspapers, one magazine, and one book). Also have had two more iPhone sales so far this month (51 sales in total) on their App as well. I have about 2,000 Stock photos for sale and 700 iPhone photos on sale. Not having a slow month. Not having a slow year. 

As is becoming the pattern, the numbers are good if not the net money at the end. Averaging more than one a day, which is good for before the newspaper sales at the end of the month. A couple to Japanese TV helped up the average slightly.

12 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

A couple to Japanese TV helped up the average slightly.

Me too, a first, what sort of images? Mine was a public loo sign- not my first- in Kos.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Me too, a first, what sort of images? Mine was a public loo sign- not my first- in Kos.

Gemstones, silver bullion and a formal Italian garden. For opening credits - probably their version of QI

Already 2/3th of the month. I need a miracle because the last few months, I didn't notice any surge in sales during the last few days :unsure:

Poor........... very, very poor sales (in number as well as in revenue) for June. Very disappointed!

Cheers,

Philippe (going to the coast, to cool off and watch dolphins)

Edited by arterra

It's now 20th and I have ZERO sales in June so far. This is crazy. The drastic change in numbers of views and image placement is the obvious reason. Grrr. If I was a daily seller like some here, and the number per day dropped, at least I'd still feel a bit motivated. 20 days with nothing is very demotivating for me though. I've been on a real serge recently with Alamy and if that doesn't pay off in the coming months I'm not sure how long I'll want to keep this up for. It's even more disheartening when many of my news photos that I put online before anyone else that day are not used, but others that appear hours later that are blurred and clearly taken with a phone are used! I don't blame Alamy for that of course, that's the editors who don't have a clue what a decent photo is.

Geoff.

Volume and revenue has been increasing month on month since the new search engine. Great because I have done absolutely nothing! All pics have poor discoverability,no keywords changed or deleted, no pics uploaded for 2 years, no pics with releases. Titles simple and keywords minimal. About 4 years ago I felt it was not worth jumping thro all the Alamy  hoops for a few dollars more!

Regen

5 hours ago, GS-Images said:

It's even more disheartening when many of my news photos that I put online before anyone else that day are not used, but others that appear hours later that are blurred and clearly taken with a phone are used! I don't blame Alamy for that of course, that's the editors who don't have a clue what a decent photo is.

Geoff.

I guess there are probably certain times of day when it's better to upload certain news images than other times... certainly for images like weather related images. Your pictures will always get pushed further down the Live News Feed as newer images are uploaded and I'm afraid 'least path of resistance' is just human nature so people will look at and pick from the top images first. So Ideally, I guess you want to time submission of images to coincide with when picture editors are about to start looking for images for a lunchtime edition, an article uploaded online midday and an evening edition of their publications.

Edited by Matt Ashmore

Tip van Flip... Alamy has no images demonstrating concept: fitting a quart into a pint pot.

I just had to think of this when comparing my income this month with my monthly expenses.

9 hours ago, GS-Images said:

...others that appear hours later that are blurred and clearly taken with a phone are used! ...the editors who don't have a clue what a decent photo is.  Geoff.

Photo Editors of UK nationals don't know decent photos, do they!?????

Kicking the can down the road, are we???

Online bullying, is it?

Brown nosing for a few extra sales, maybe I am...

SOMETIMES SUBJECT MATTER IS KING...:o :o :o 

Edited by JeffGreenberg

39 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Deleted. Not worth it.  :D

Edited by GS-Images

4 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I guess there are probably certain times of day when it's better to upload certain news images than other times... certainly for images like weather related images. Your pictures will always get pushed further down the Live News Feed as newer images are uploaded and I'm afraid 'least path of resistance' is just human nature so people will look at and pick from the top images first. So Ideally, I guess you want to time submission of images to coincide with when picture editors are about to start looking for images for a lunchtime edition, an article uploaded online midday and an evening edition of their publications.

Thanks for your thoughts Matt. I agree with you completely. I was just frustrated at the time when I posted that!  :)  My frustrations have been relieved somewhat after some success with news sales today.  :)

Geoff.

Well I have been patiently uploading exclusive images here for some time and have to say zero sales from any of them. The only sales I have ironically are ones available on other sites.

7 minutes ago, Marb said:

Well I have been patiently uploading exclusive images here for some time and have to say zero sales from any of them. The only sales I have ironically are ones available on other sites.

No offence, but haven't we been around in circles about this several times now? You have, if I remember correctly, only just started uploading exclusively to Alamy, and used to use Microstock too for the same images. You need to wait MONTHS.

Anyway, as for myself - I still have ZERO sales for June. I am aware of news sales but they are not showing up yet, and that's expected and not a problem, but in nearly a whole month it is unheard of for me to get zero these days. All my extra work lately doing Alamy 24/7 and still ending up with lower view numbers that I had before the new search engine messed everything up, is making me feel quite demotivated again. I just hope that this is the expected dip due to the search engine issues, and that usages have been happening in the last 2 months that will soon start to show up on my account.

Geoff.

2 hours ago, GS-Images said:

No offence, but haven't we been around in circles about this several times now? You have, if I remember correctly, only just started uploading exclusively to Alamy, and used to use Microstock too for the same images. You need to wait MONTHS.

Anyway, as for myself - I still have ZERO sales for June. I am aware of news sales but they are not showing up yet, and that's expected and not a problem, but in nearly a whole month it is unheard of for me to get zero these days. All my extra work lately doing Alamy 24/7 and still ending up with lower view numbers that I had before the new search engine messed everything up, is making me feel quite demotivated again. I just hope that this is the expected dip due to the search engine issues, and that usages have been happening in the last 2 months that will soon start to show up on my account.

Geoff.

Well Geoff your images are very marketable so not sure why they are not selling. 

1 minute ago, Marb said:

Well Geoff your images are very marketable so not sure why they are not selling. 

Thank you for the compliment. They aren't being found unfortunately, at least not as many as were being found when I had half the number available. Don't take much notice of my newer images on my port - Those are mainly news images that aren't processed manually. I wish I could stop those showing up on my port to be honest as anyone looking may think I'm a newbie uploading lots of unedited rubbish and similars!  :)

Geoff.

Well, i had zero sales in June but it's my fault actually.

I noticed many times an image being viewed on alamy and bought on Getty for cents in the same day :)

need to be smarter on which images where

Edited by KODAKovic

Still absolutely zero sales for exclusive content. July is proving horrendous across all sites for me.

> July is proving horrendous across all sites

If some sites are losing market share,

isn't it bloody true that other sites are

gaining market share??????  There is an

overall equilibrium of sorts is what it is...?

Edited by JeffGreenberg

4 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

> July is proving horrendous across all sites

If some sites are losing market share,

isn't it bloody true that other sites are

gaining market share??????  There is an

overall equilibrium of sorts is what it is...?

Ah but the gains might be on the dark side......