16 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Thanks for your candour.

My best image here has grossed over $1200 so I probably won't be putting up any images for sale for 50c.

:)  I deleted what I wrote because I didn't think it answered what you were asking, but I agree with you.  It's disheartening to see an image used many many times by some very big companies and getting paid so little.  If all my images sold so many times it would be a different story and it would make financial sense to stick with the micros, but for me anyway, multiple sellers were few and far between, so for quite some time I've solely been uploading to alamy.  

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Isn't it also pleasing at Alamy when somebody does pay decent money for an image - a validation if you like that this is the picture they want and will pay handsomely for, the same on that you produced, and they are not buying it because it is cheap or just about good enough. They want it, will pay properly for it, and you created it! 

Playing on that sort of playing filed in competition with all the other contributors, some of whom are top pros and even famous, and getting  properly priced sale means  something to me.

Agree 100%  :)

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Thanks for your candour.

My best image here has grossed over $1200 so I probably won't be putting up any images for sale for 50c.

I certainly agree with you,  but to be honest, one of my bestseller (since 2011) exceeded 1400 sales 2 months ago, and the licenses are not always at 50c (by the way it is rather 35c ... lol ) but for example, I got 2 licenses of this image at $13.50 and $20.62 on Sunday. Alas, this is not always the case and other times it is 35c or 1$. I would have liked to sell it on Alamy and that's why, like Kay, I upload now almost exclusively images here . It's been just 3 months that I upload for Alamy, but for now, unfortunately, the score is not in my favor... I will do my best during one year and see what happens.

Isn't it also pleasing at Alamy when somebody does pay decent money for an image - a validation if you like that this is the picture they want and will pay handsomely for, the same one that you/me produced, and they are not buying it because it is cheap or just about good enough. They want it, will pay properly for it, and you created it! 

Playing on that sort of playing field in competition with all the other contributors, some of whom are top pros and even famous, and getting  properly priced sale means something to me. I couldn't stand messing about with hundreds of sales at a few cents a time. What satisfaction is there in that?

Yes, I agree that it's nice to be rewarded fairly for a good image.

Dunno about you guys but for me, let's suppose that on a day "i'm in the zone", I shortlist 100 shots. Commercially / artistically-speaking, perhaps 1 will be fantastic, 10 decent, 10 mediocre and the rest have little to no value.

Do I reasonably expect to be "paid handsomely" for mediocre and poor images...probably not? But they'll still get a few $ on micros. 

So for me it's like my best stuff will go on here and Robert Harding and the rest duplicated which perhaps are OK but not great will go on micros. The trash will go in the trash.

Sure, it gives me pleasure to be paid handsomely for a handsome image but I don't mind getting paid poorly for a poor picture. 

1 hour ago, Brasilnut said:

So for me it's like my best stuff will go on here and Robert Harding and the rest duplicated which perhaps are OK but not great will go on micros. The trash will go in the trash.

Is RH bringing in the big bucks?

Edited by andremichel

Is RH bringing in the big bucks?

They're a friendly agency with a strong distribution channel, including Alamy.

Cannot speak about how much they bring in on here (confidential and I may get in trouble) :) 

I've only been with them for a almost a year so early days. 

A 'good image' in stock is one that a buyer wants, and will pay for, not one that photographers like.

I could have expressed myself more clearly. I meant to say is that since some images are more popular / in-demand than others, they will have a higher chance to be downloaded and on occasions for a higher amount. The British say "one man's trash is another man's treasure" so our perceptions can be flawed - I would love to hire an objective 3rd party to make these sorts of decisions for me on their commercial value one day.

I agree that it's best to let the buyer decide but there are some images that are clearly so generic that they lend themselves for MS for multiple (RF) downloads, such as the following digital composite: 

European Union (EU) flag against a blue sky with digital composite of woman holding a UK passport - UK is set to Stock Photo

On 12/1/2017 at 00:55, Brasilnut said:

I don't have all the answers, I'm just going by with my strategy which may or may not work for everyone!

What I consider to be "premium" images don't go on micros since they would be devalued. As you've stated, it's best to have them as RM for better returns and ideally multiple license renewals. 

More generic images lend themselves for multiple downloads for low prices on MS. One example from your port would be HWK1XG, imo. 

I agree that Alamy will be fine as they possess a loyal client-base (I believe), but I wonder if decision-makers are contemplating grabbing some of MS's lucrative clients by offering subs. Lots of money to be made with such clients. That way they can grab some market-share from MS.

Interesting times ahead.

If that comes to pass I would have a choice to make. I may not fully understand how anyone bar maybe the agent and the client make money from this but I do understand that I wouldn't be happy at receiving buttons per image. On the whole I don't think my images would be suitable for MS and I wouldn't do well.

• Upvote 1

Again, if Alamy made me sales that paid handsomley, or even sales at all I would be 100% here but I have to survive, pay a mortgage and bills so I can’t afford to sit it out here and hope for the magic sale to happen.  Micro is bread and butter and like I have said time and time again, often bags me single images sales much HIGHER than Alamy.

Edited by Marb

Again, if Alamy made me sales that paid handsomley, or even sales at all I would be 100% here but I have to survive, pay a mortgage and bills so I can’t afford to sit it out here and hope for the magic sale to happen.  Micro is bread and butter and like I have said time and time again, often bags me single images sales much HIGHER than Alamy.

Marb,

I know it's frustrating to see images on Alamy sitting there for months/years/decades without even a zoom when they could at least be earning a few $ at micros. That's missing the point though imo.

I would encourage you try to see the bright sides of Alamy. With patience and a strong work ethic (such as keywording as per Alamy requirements), you'll be able to earn a nice amount to supplement your bread and butter MS amounts. Reading on this forum you see some guys on here getting 50 downloads/month with just a 10,000 image portfolio. If the average net amount on Alamy is about $25, we're talking about $1250 in your pocket. Then add $500 from MS and that's a nice living wage. In theory, Alamy can become your main source of income. At least that's how I look at it. I only had 3 small downloads in November so I'm far far far away from the above scenario but perhaps in November 2018 it's achievable.  

4 hours ago, Marb said:

Why don't you focus on the bread and butter instead of joining Alamy?

Craig.

3 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

.Reading on this forum you see some guys on here getting 50 downloads/month with just a 10,000 image portfolio

Where did you get that from? 1 per month per 1000 appears common. 2+ per 1000 if you are highly accomplished e.g. red snapper with 104 sales from 47000 images. 5 per 1000, there may be some outstanding tightly edited collections achieving this but it would be a tiny minority of contributors.

Edit: I see doc achieved 3.8 sales per 1000 last month but that is exceptional not the norm.

Edited by andremichel
5 hours ago, Marb said:

if Alamy made me sales that paid handsomley, or even sales at all I would be 100% here but I have to survive, pay a mortgage and bills

I'm at the moment sitting in my house, that Alamy in effect has paid for. No mortgage anymore, thanks to paying it off with the income from my sales here. All my equipment, computers, car and studio, paid for from Alamy revenue

but it takes time......

km

• Upvote 3

Where did you get that from? 1 per month per 1000 appears common. 2+ per 1000 if you are highly accomplished e.g. red snapper with 104 sales from 47000 images. 5 per 1000, there may be some outstanding tightly edited collections achieving this but it would be a tiny minority of contributors.

Ok, fair enough, I exaggerated. The point remains that there's good money to be made if one is patient and works hard. :) 

11 hours ago, Marb said:

What I read when I first started out was that the best shots for stock photography and particularly at Alamy were people doing things, ideally, one person doing one thing.   I looked at four pages of your portfolio and you have maybe five or six shots with people in them.  I'm just beginning here and none of my three sales have been shots with people, but at least half the searches that had my photos as part of what were viewed were shots with people, and my last zoom was a "ginger girl" (unusual for Nicaragua, but exists and I got a model release, too).

If you do better at micro, then that is that.  Doing better here means taking photos that can illustrate something, generally a something with people.  Or something that's relatively rarely photographed (exotic weapons, fruit that doesn't make it to North American or European markets).  I stopped bothering to put Phalaenopsis hybrid photos in my portfolio because there were something like 10,000 or so photographs of Phalaenopsis orchids already at Alamy.   

6 hours ago, MizBrown said:

What I read when I first started out was that the best shots for stock photography and particularly at Alamy were people doing things, ideally, one person doing one thing.   I looked at four pages of your portfolio and you have maybe five or six shots with people in them.  I'm just beginning here and none of my three sales have been shots with people, but at least half the searches that had my photos as part of what were viewed were shots with people, and my last zoom was a "ginger girl" (unusual for Nicaragua, but exists and I got a model release, too).

If you do better at micro, then that is that.  Doing better here means taking photos that can illustrate something, generally a something with people.  Or something that's relatively rarely photographed (exotic weapons, fruit that doesn't make it to North American or European markets).  I stopped bothering to put Phalaenopsis hybrid photos in my portfolio because there were something like 10,000 or so photographs of Phalaenopsis orchids already at Alamy.   

I take onboard all comments here which I appreciate. Sorry that a few interpret my frustration as negativity, attacking Alamy or "trolling". On the contrary, I would LOVE to make a good living from my images but just find it frustrating that the editorial, exclusive images (seasonal especially) have not made any sales. I can go back to Nov 2015 when I made a sale of $389.63 for an image when I had a tiny port. In fact I had more sales with less images, and more money which is the point I have been trying to make. It seems the bigger my portfolio, the less and less sales. Just disappointed and quite frankly despondent. I like to try and find the niche, quirky images that haven't been covered. I will try and get more archival stuff uploaded from my student days 30+ years ago from my medium format film. Just could have done with a nice Christmas sale.

8 minutes ago, Marb said:

I like to try and find the niche, quirky images that haven't been covered.

And you've done some research to see if there's a demand for these? No point filling a gap if no-one wants them (sometimes gaps are there for a  reason...)

km

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, andremichel said:

Edit: I see doc achieved 3.8 sales per 1000 last month but that is exceptional not the norm.

My average is between 2 and 3 sales per 1000 per month, sometimes more (on 8000 images), and I am neither unusually accomplished nor a full-time stock photographer

Alex

1 hour ago, Alex Ramsay said:

My average is between 2 and 3 sales per 1000 per month, sometimes more (on 8000 images), and I am neither unusually accomplished nor a full-time stock photographer

Alex

I like your images Alex, they have a nice clean quality to them. I have to say that I never plan a shoot. I just go somewhere with my camera and walk around and see what I can find. I find (and I used to specialize as environmental portraiture as a student) people difficult to shoot. If I go to an event, like the  food festival this weekend, people look at you with suspicion and contempt when you have a camera. I don't feel comfortable photographing around people, and I certainly hate being photographed myself. Probably because I have become more reclusive since I work from home. Not really a social person anymore but I suppose I will have to overcome it somewhat. Having said that a very good camera phone may be the answer to getting candid images of events. A lot of photographers are doing this more. I do find changing lenses a real pain on an SLR.

Note*

Just discovered that Alamy has completely lost a lot of my supertags on my recently uploaded and tagged images. No wonder they are not getting found.

Edited by Marb