People will often add a context. One of the most frequently used style of editorial images I've seen published is of a single person walking past a shop or business, when said shop or business is the subject of the piece. It's often a long exposure to make the person unidentifiable, or from the rear three quarters

2 hours ago, Marb said:

I don't understand the fallacy that people images sell because buyers are not always looking for people in their images.

Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways...

The 7,000 image sales I've made here (the vast majority of which do contain people) must obviously be  a fluke or beginners luck. I certainly won't be making that mistake again

km

4 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

The 7,000 image sales I've made here (the vast majority of which do contain people) must obviously be  a fluke or beginners luck. I certainly won't be making that mistake again

km

Sorry to hear that.

3 hours ago, Avpics said:

People will often add a context. One of the most frequently used style of editorial images I've seen published is of a single person walking past a shop or business, when said shop or business is the subject of the piece. It's often a long exposure to make the person unidentifiable, or from the rear three quarters

indeed....
as in this one of mine:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/jessica-investigates/call-halifax-scam/

2 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

km

I once got a great big b*****ing from an agency because my pics didn't have any people in them. 
Press photography is all about people.

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Concentrate on micro stock then instead of spending all your time moaning and feeling hard done by.

Life is too short ;)

But can you answer my question as to why Alamy have reduced their fees ?  It’s only fair to point out the low figues for sales and to be fair, other people have mentioned it of late too. 

3 hours ago, Marb said:

I also thought that sales at Alamy (when they do happen) were meant to be good money.

It doesn't take much effort to find some real world figures....every month there are reports of images numbers sold / total fees received

Do some maths and work it out.

Rule #1 of any business: do the market research, rather then just "thinking" things should be a certain way

oh, and sales do happen, 32, in fact, just today.....

Thanks for the red arrow.  I suppose that the truth hurts.

I gave you the red arrow, nothing personal just that I don't think your statement was accurate. 

I'll explain why. Although microstock is a contributing factor to lower prices on Alamy (and globally), it's not the only factor. As you know, Alamy's collection is over 100million. We are also competing against each other on here and there's a finite number of buyers. 

Jury is still out on whether Alamy buyers search on microstock for duplicated images. Intuitively it makes sense but i want to see hard evidence.

Extraordinary.

Are you aware that valued members of this forum have been driven to leave by misuse of the red arrows?

I don't misuse the red arrow or hide behind it, I came forward and announced it after the fact. A bold move, I suppose.

How is it my fault if someone chooses to react that way by leaving? Are we in kindergarten?  

What's the point of having this option if we cannot exercise it if and when we feel that someone has said something inaccurate.

It's a bit like that Black Mirror episode, 'Nosedive' about social validation where people get a score.

17 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

I gave you the red arrow, nothing personal just that I don't think your statement was accurate. 

I'll explain why. Although microstock is a contributing factor to lower prices on Alamy (and globally), it's not the only factor. As you know, Alamy's collection is over 100million. We are also competing against each other on here and there's a finite number of buyers. 

Jury is still out on whether Alamy buyers search on microstock for duplicated images. Intuitively it makes sense but i want to see hard evidence.

A red arrow would certainly be deemed personal and immature, You could have just responded without using the red arrow in the first place.

You and your micro cronies have brought a negative slant to the forum. You can give me a red if you want!!. 

Craig

5 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

I don't misuse the red arrow or hide behind it, I came forward and announced it after the fact. A bold move, I suppose.

How is it my fault if someone chooses to react that way by leaving? Are we in kindergarten?  

What's the point of having this option if we cannot exercise it if and when we feel that someone has said something inaccurate.

It's a bit like that Black Mirror episode, 'Nosedive' about social validation where people get a score.

If you think someone has said something inaccurate, say so, as I will do now in pointing out that I didn't say anything was your "fault".

There's a good deal of reserve here about the arrow system which you as a newcomer obviously don't share. But you are now at least aware of it, if you weren't before.

Speaking of reserve, formerly I would have sent a PM about this but they are no longer available so it has to be public.

There's a good deal of reserve here about the arrow system which you as a latecomer obviously don't share. But you are now at least aware of it, if you weren't before.

Ok, I've removed it :) 

Honestly, if someone gave me red arrows I wouldn't care but each to their own. 

3 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Honestly, if someone gave me red arrows I wouldn't care but each to their own. 

You get a green one from me for that. As far as I'm concerned the green arrows are the equivalent of Hear hear!

Maybe we should now use the heart for that.

Why should the reds bear so much more weight than the red ones?

Btw what is the correct opposite of hear hear?

What was it again what this thread was about? Ah slow month: Yes very slow month.

wim

Archived