11 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

$545.00 total sales so far for Nov.

Hope one or two more sneak in before Dec.

I need to pay for my Fuji 80mm macro due to be delivered tomorrow. Actually, I’ve had the $$ from selling off my Nikon gear banked and waiting. I’ve been without a macro for 3 years. Patience is not my strong suit. Fuji took their sweet time.

Betty

Betty, I rented an X-T2 for a couple of days.  First impressions is that it is soooo much better than the X-T1 I sold.  I only have the kit lens now but if I dive back in when the new X-T2s comes out (with IBIS), I may also get the 16-55mm f2.8.  I wish my sales would pay for it but that won't be happening.  :-) 

2 hours ago, Rick Lewis said:

Betty, I rented an X-T2 for a couple of days.  First impressions is that it is soooo much better than the X-T1 I sold.  I only have the kit lens now but if I dive back in when the new X-T2s comes out (with IBIS), I may also get the 16-55mm f2.8.  I wish my sales would pay for it but that won't be happening.  :-) 

So far, I’m not having camera shake problems, so not sure IBIS would be worth the upgrade. I can see it for you since you don’t own the X-T2. I’d go for it under those circumstances, for sure. 

Why would you get the 16-55 if you already own the 18-55? Tiny bit wider, but the 2.8 is the same, isn’t it?  The kit lens is better than any other kit lens from different systems. I have it. Use it, but use my 18-135 way more for stock.  More versatile zoom range. It’s not as fast, but I’m out shooting stock in good light and usually have to stop down anyway.

Betty

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

So far, I’m not having camera shake problems, so not sure IBIS would be worth the upgrade. I can see it for you since you don’t own the X-T2. I’d go for it under those circumstances, for sure. 

Why would you get the 16-55 if you already own the 18-55? Tiny bit wider, but the 2.8 is the same, isn’t it?  The kit lens is better than any other kit lens from different systems. I have it. Use it, but use my 18-135 way more for stock.  More versatile zoom range. It’s not as fast, but I’m out shooting stock in good light and usually have to stop down anyway.

Betty

The 18-55 is a really nice little lens, so long as you make sure the IS is switched off unless you absolutely need it (say 1/15 or slower). I've had a few blurred images as a result of leaving it on at higher shutter speeds (over 1/60)

Alex

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

$545.00 total sales so far for Nov.

Hope one or two more sneak in before Dec.

I need to pay for my Fuji 80mm macro due to be delivered tomorrow. Actually, I’ve had the $$ from selling off my Nikon gear banked and waiting. I’ve been without a macro for 3 years. Patience is not my strong suit. Fuji took their sweet time.

Betty

Betty, I would only dream to earn that amount for the whole year!

It seems I am the odd one out here with no sale since Sept. At least most of you are getting a few sales every month. I feel I am producing some saleable images but to no avail. I think in life if there is nothing down for you  there is nothing down for you, however hard you try.

Very depressing.

1 hour ago, Marb said:

It seems I am the odd one out here with no sale since Sept. At least most of you are getting a few sales every month. I feel I am producing some saleable images but to no avail. I think in life if there is nothing down for you  there is nothing down for you, however hard you try.

Very depressing.

Marb - if I may give you some friendly advice, I would hugely suggest that you need to get people in your images. Out of 1482 images here on Alamy 1350 appear to have no people in them.

Kind regards

Kumar (the Doc one)

1 hour ago, Marb said:

Very depressing.

Remember the thread where I suggested diversifying? Are you starting to do that?

These are some of the recent images I’ve licensed.

A couple of plants

couple of landscapes

A human couple interacting

a couple of shops

a crop

one travel image, a person involved

a sign

a meter

a refinery

a vintage pickup truck

a memorial fence

If you really want to sell, you need to diversify!!

Betty

15 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Remember the thread where I suggested diversifying? Are you starting to do that?

These are some of the recent images I’ve licensed.

A couple of plants

couple of landscapes

A human couple interacting

a couple of shops

a crop

one travel image, a person involved

a sign

a meter

a refinery

a vintage pickup truck

a memorial fence

If you really want to sell, you need to diversify!!

Betty

To be fair Betty I do have such random images in my portfolio. I am always finding new things to shoot, especially interesting. I see a lot of images on Alamy that are just shop front images of retail outlets which I thought would have copyright issues and limited saleability.

1 hour ago, Marb said:

To be fair Betty I do have such random images in my portfolio. I am always finding new things to shoot, especially interesting. I see a lot of images on Alamy that are just shop front images of retail outlets which I thought would have copyright issues and limited saleability.

Things like shopfronts are editorial gold, they are often used to illustrate stories about many things.

As mentioned by Doc above, get more people in your images.
When I shoot for me (meaning arty farty stuff) I wait 'till there is no-one in the frame, when I shoot for stock I wait until there is someone in the frame.

Having said that, this is my worst month ever, with zero sales, so I am working hard on my captions and keywords.

Quote:

"I think in life if there is nothing down for you there is nothing down for you, however hard you try."

Then you must try harder!

21 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Betty

I hear you on the 18-55.  I think mine might have an element slightly out of whack.  On the left side of my images, under certain conditions and only in the out of focus area, there is a very slight, but still noticeable, bit of distortion. (I had to bin two images yesterday because of it).  But I have to say I love the size and weight of lens. It is only f2.8 at the 18mm end and at about 40mm it is f4 for maximum aperture.  But, like you 90% of my images are shot at f5.6 or smaller.  One other thing I like is that people tend not to pay much attention to me when using it, unlike my Nikon kit.  :-)  

Rick

7 hours ago, mickfly said:

I see you were given a red arrow, very sad, we used to be able to cancel them by giving a green but it didn't work when I tried it on this new fangled system.
I'm sure if someone gives it by mistake they can cancel it... in the meantime ignore it.

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, ignore it. You said absolutely nothing to warrant it. :angry:

I gave him greenies on those, anyway.  Like Betty says, no need for reds on his posts, what did he do wrong?  Absolutely nothing!  (Waits for red!)...

12 hours ago, Marb said:

It's true . In my case I don't have problem to shoot people in case of sport events, festivals or crowd concentration but  I have a hard time making a photo of 2 or 3 people in front of a shop or on the street without having their authorization.  The few I have are with MR. I think it depends where you live. So, I certainly would not have much success here ...

1 hour ago, Southmind said:

It's true . In my case I don't have problem to shoot people in case of sport events, festivals or crowd concentration but  I have a hard time making a photo of 2 or 3 people in front of a shop or on the street without having their authorization.  The few I have are with MR. I think it depends where you live. So, I certainly would not have much success here ...

I don't understand the fallacy that people images sell because buyers are not always looking for people in their images. A landscape, product shot for example will not require a person. It's all subjective. like yourself, I do not want to be bothering with strangers, getting model releases etc. Not my thing unless the shot was potentially exceptional.

Incidentally, I just made a sale (hooray!) of a pint of beer by the fire. Great BUT it again sold for a low amount of a mere $13, of which I have earned more for a single sale on microstock.

Archived