So now that I said I only get reported sales at the beginning and end of the month, two dropped in today. Maybe I should say this everyday ;)

FWIW September is an odd month on this side of the pond because we have so many "holidays," like Labor Day, Primary Day, Sept 11th Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, that aren't observed on the usual Mondays.

On 9/14/2017 at 00:05, Reimar said:

I was beginning to despair too.  A $15 sale on the first and then nothing.  Until yesterday.  A fall scene for $450.  Haven't seen those in a while. 

Then three more sales today, one also a Fall scene for $250.  I wish those were more regular.

Hi Reimar,

was this fall scene a RM or RM shot?

I've seen from your first 3 pages you're sticking with RF for all pics expect the ones with people where you use RM. Am i right?

Are you selling RFs just here or arent you worried about other places micro prices selling?

5 hours ago, KODAKovic said:

Hi Reimar,

was this fall scene a RM or RM shot?

I've seen from your first 3 pages you're sticking with RF for all pics expect the ones with people where you use RM. Am i right?

Are you selling RFs just here or arent you worried about other places micro prices selling?

The first was a RM shot for the front cover of a book.  The second was RF and a generic landscape in the same area (Vermont).

Your right about my preference for the simplicity of RF where possible.  Your last line seems to be making some assumptions that don't follow.  I am concerned about micro prices for RF and RM images both here and at several other libraries that don't involve the term "micro".

29 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

After a great month last month (August), September has stumbled off the starting blocks for me :(.   Plenty of zooms but no action!

I find that to often be the case, a particularly good month is followed by a not-so-good one.

Sale #5 showed up today, so I'm now officially halfway to my monthly average of 10 sales. This has been the magic number for about two years. Sometimes I think it's voodoo. Not complaining, though. There are much worse scenarios.

22 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I find that to often be the case, a particularly good month is followed by a not-so-good one.

Sale #5 showed up today, so I'm now officially halfway to my monthly average of 10 sales. This has been the magic number for about two years. Sometimes I think it's voodoo. Not complaining, though. There are much worse scenarios.

Yes, it does seem to see-saw like that.  Sales are trickling in but most are low value, none over $100. 

23 hours ago, John Richmond said:

9 sales so far this month and 17 zooms so, with only half the month gone, I'm not complaining about things being slow in September.

Similar story here, another "steady as she goes" type of month - 26 zooms, 8 sales, one of which was a healthy 3 figure sale..... 

On 9/15/2017 at 08:32, Michael Ventura said:

After a great month last month (August), September has stumbled off the starting blocks for me :(.   Plenty of zooms but no action!

Just the opposite for me, August was the slowest month of the year with September being the best month of the year in terms of $$ and sales numbers.  

Finally...first sale of the month came in for a nice $100.  I hope this means the cork is out of the bottle. And it was zoomed in the last couple of weeks.  So sales definitely can come in shortly after a zoom.

Edited to add, this shot is one of opportunity.  I came upon somebody doing something, and took several shots.

1 minute ago, GS-Images said:

You recently had loads of sales from whoever it was, lucky you.  :)  I don't know why I keep on bothering either. I've spent the whole day today doing live weather news from 4 locations. A long day and lots of work. So far not a sausage online, so I can only hope for something in print, but being Sunday tomorrow that's unlikely. Of course the usual ones have sales as well as retweets the last few days, but you only get retweets if your name starts with K or S. It's who you know, rather than what you do, at least mostly that seems to be the case, in my opinion, of course. It's extremely disheartening. I'll get reds for that comment but they'll hide behind that and not explain why they disagree.

4 stock sales so far this month (or is it 5?). Also lots of uncleared funds over the 45 days minimum, and several uses not logged from a certain national newspaper. I'm not in the slightest bit surprised.

Geoff.

I've often thought this - the people with the most sales will be revisited by the various publications time after time, which is great for them, but bad for the rest of us.  All that work with nothing to show for it is very frustrating.

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I've often thought this - the people with the most sales will be revisited by the various publications time after time, which is great for them, but bad for the rest of us.  All that work with nothing to show for it is very frustrating.

That's just the way it is. You've either gotta accept it or - if you can - try to overturn them! ;) Be a harsh, nasty businessman (in a nice way)! 

I have (at least) three contributors here with whom I am in direct competition for local shots of the type I take in my area and with whom I try to compete. One is a contributor to this forum (hi! :)), the other two are not. Those two, in particular, are constantly mentioned in the 'Have you found... ' threads because they are continually in the national press. Plainly, they are in Alamy's UK newspaper scheme, which helps promote their name and 'brand'. I have chosen not to be (for my own convoluted reasons), but I do understand and appreciate that, if you are prepared to take the double hit of low prices and image theft - and/or are constantly on the ball and prepared to follow up the abuses (and not let it get to you), then a non-stop barrage of submissions to the press will eventually get your name noticed and people sitting on image desks will seek you out as a first call when looking for a certain type of image or from a certain locale. 

Blimey, that was a long sentence! 

You're absolutely right : the more you sell,  then, erm, the more you sell. That's just the way it is and always has been. If you're like me and (for whatever reason) just not able to keep up with it all, then you have to accept that others (especially those with more history in the field) are going to sell more frequently, be searched more often, and as a result will have a higher CTR, and therefore be found more readily and (be more able to) achieve higher prices, when those opportunities come along. 

One of my competitors constantly revisits his (previously sold) locations to update them. I've even aware that he must have noticed my images - as he has stood in exactly the same spot to take an update of his for a local village centre! But I don't begrudge him (he's being harsh in a nice way!) as he's earning a living here (from his volume of sales, that's certain): it's his job to fight for those sales. Anyhow, my long term plan is to take him down (ROFL). 

There will always be stronger swimmers than you - and it's doubly difficult when they started the race long before you! Myself, I'm just happy to jump out of the pool every now and again and run off with the odd prize! 

Archived