Slow/disappointing month

27 minutes ago, Rico said:

The weird part is that I'm only about 2 km away from the downtown area.

And, she just had a newborn a few days ago

Lots in Carburn...and that's super close...Inglewood too. I'm in Beltline, so I only see the odd Rabbit, Bunnies and Coyotes....yes Coyotes...

On 10/06/2018 at 09:50, Marb said:

Yes and covered some more events/celebs that haven’t sold. It all just goes into a huge black hole here. 

Win some, lose many more......its the way it is, especially with news.

Get back on the horse

km

22 minutes ago, MandyD said:

Lots in Carburn...and that's super close...Inglewood too. I'm in Beltline, so I only see the odd Rabbit, Bunnies and Coyotes....yes Coyotes...

It's not all cameras and roses...I have to cleanup after the two of them.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

It's not all cameras and roses...I have to cleanup after the two of them.

I just get the odd squirrel on my balcony.

18 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

After a promising start to the month with seven sales, the train ground to a halt on the 13th. Am hoping that it leaves the station soon...

Afraid to say my train is still in the station!

Jim ;)

Very good month so far. The most encouraging thing is lots of reasonable-size sales.

A good month can be down to one or two big sales - together with lots of tiny ones. I find a good number of decent (not huge, not small) licenses the most encouraging.

Still the newspapers to come (I hope) so looking good so far.

Most of my sales are from recent images - not hot news, but stuff I've taken in the last year or so. Don't be tempted to stop submitting if sales are down - it's often the newer pics that sell. 

5 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Get back on the horse

km

I can’t afford to keep feeding the horse, let alone get on it. I have some exclusive stuff so no compertition. It should be selling. My wife suggested to just go straight to the papers and get more money and cut out the middle agency. 

5 minutes ago, Marb said:

I can’t afford to keep feeding the horse, let alone get on it. I have some exclusive stuff so no compertition. It should be selling. My wife suggested to just go straight to the papers and get more money and cut out the middle agency. 

Even if your images are exclusive, and presumably by that you mean there are no other images similar on Alamy at all, it doesn’t necessarily mean they will sell. Depends on whether anyone wants them (now at least). If they don’t want them then I don’t see how offering them to newspapers direct will help. The logic escapes me but I am prepared to be corrected.

9 hours ago, Marb said:

Less than a quarter of my sales this year are from images taken in the last 2 years, but I've had sales from every year back to 2009. Even a few from 1979 if you count archive. This is a long game.

58 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Less than a quarter of my sales this year are from images taken in the last 2 years, but I've had sales from every year back to 2009. Even a few from 1979 if you count archive. This is a long game.

I hope you are right but the fact that a photo has to sit in a library for a few years before it sells doesn't seem logical. Surely as soon as an image becomes visible on Alamy clients can see it by searching ?

16 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Get back on the horse

km

Reg/Keith is right, but it can be depressing to go out most days covering news events with nothing to show for it..  I suspect most of us go through periods of despair punctuated by euphoria when a sale is gained.  I really enjoy my news photography and if it was not for that I suspect I may have thrown in the tea towel (after first taking a stock image).   

1 hour ago, Marb said:

I hope you are right but the fact that a photo has to sit in a library for a few years before it sells doesn't seem logical. Surely as soon as an image becomes visible on Alamy clients can see it by searching ?

Sure they can, but images only appear in relevant searches. Not every buyer wants all your images from day one.

You wait for searches. Good variety gets you more search hits. After that it's down to how the image meets the buyer's needs. It's perfectly logical.

On 21/06/2018 at 22:06, Marb said:

I have some exclusive stuff so no compertition. It should be selling. My wife suggested to just go straight to the papers and get more money and cut out the middle agency. 

Exclusive  or not is irrelevant.

They'll sell if there are buyers who want them..

If there are no buyers for that content / story , then no matter how 'unique' the photos are, they're not going to sell..

Some days you eat the bear; some days the bear eats you

km

ps..actually, even with exclusive stuf you do have competition. The competition is all the other stories that the papers are planning on running that day.

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

Exclusive  or not is irrelevant.

They'll sell if there are buyers who want them..

If there are no buyers for that content / story , then no matter how 'unique' the photos are, they're not going to sell..

Some days you eat the bear; some days the bear eats you

km

My bear's getting fat and I'm losing weight. lol Wherever I go there seems to be half a dozen togs that are far better equipped than I. :( The price I pay for living in the big smoke.

On 22/06/2018 at 22:35, Sultanpepa said:

My bear's getting fat and I'm losing weight. lol Wherever I go there seems to be half a dozen togs that are far better equipped than I. :( The price I pay for living in the big smoke.

Unless it’s long lenses and the action is far away, get the “better equipped “ thing out of your head and shoot ‘your’ viewpoint, your way...

47 minutes ago, Julie Edwards said:

Unless it’s long lenses and the action is far away, get the “better equipped “ thing out of your head and shoot ‘your’ viewpoint, your way...

Quite agree. I'm doing tennis this week and it can be quite depressing looking at the huge f2.8s and D7s (or whatever the latest model is) all around me, but I still get some OK  photos. My equipment is good enough to get decent pics even it is does cost 10% of theirs and for most work I do I am more than happy with my secondhand D7000s and model-before-last lenses.

1 hour ago, Julie Edwards said:

I'm thinking more the ability to upload quickly. I normally venture home edit and keyword before sending just my best handful of shots to Alamy. They all seem to be wi-fi straight from camera to editors desk via mobile. I do tend to seek my own angles though to get something different from pack.

I too find myself in those positions as both Phil and mister Pepa. Although I carry a 12" laptop with me, I still have to wait for a break to sit down and sort and upload images. Sometimes I'll 'jump' too early and miss something, other times images will be online before I've done mine. Swings and roundabouts, falling between stalls.....

28 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

I'm thinking more the ability to upload quickly. I normally venture home edit and keyword before sending just my best handful of shots to Alamy. They all seem to be wi-fi straight from camera to editors desk via mobile. I do tend to seek my own angles though to get something different from pack.

Ah , well in that case, you need to decide - are you shooting news or news as stock? If you want to shoot news seriously then being able to send from location is not a luxury its a necessity...

3 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

Most news photographers edit their images before they send them off to agencies. Only in really rare cases they are pinged straight to the editor's desk. 

Most photographers are already equipped to send from location by using the hotspot function of their phone and most also own a laptop. 

6 hours ago, Julie Edwards said:

Ah , well in that case, you need to decide - are you shooting news or news as stock? If you want to shoot news seriously then being able to send from location is not a luxury its a necessity...

3 hours ago, vpics said:

Most news photographers edit their images before they send them off to agencies. Only in really rare cases they are pinged straight to the editor's desk. 

Most photographers are already equipped to send from location by using the hotspot function of their phone and most also own a laptop. 

I guess I already knew this but the two of you have just hammered it home.  I'll need to find a laptop and phone setup if I want to compete and make sales. End of. Being more of a technophobe as I get older this is easier said than done. lol

Archived