Slow/disappointing month

On 6/22/2018 at 08:42, Marb said:

I hope you are right but the fact that a photo has to sit in a library for a few years before it sells doesn't seem logical. Surely as soon as an image becomes visible on Alamy clients can see it by searching ?

Taken in 1979. Licensed today.

FX6EW9.jpg

That's how long a game stock is.

On 6/24/2018 at 18:31, Sultanpepa said:

I guess I already knew this but the two of you have just hammered it home.  I'll need to find a laptop and phone setup if I want to compete and make sales. End of. Being more of a technophobe as I get older this is easier said than done. lol

You may want to consider investing in a "mifi" a mobile hotspot.  It tends to be more reliable and, perhaps cheaper (if sending numerous images frequently).  The mifi is fast both in operation and depending you your network coverage, fast speeds.  The other side advantage is with my wife and children.  If we go for a long journey in the car I take the mifi and they can all log in and use the signal.  

4 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

You may want to consider investing in a "mifi" a mobile hotspot.  It tends to be more reliable and, perhaps cheaper (if sending numerous images frequently).  The mifi is fast both in operation and depending you your network coverage, fast speeds.  The other side advantage is with my wife and children.  If we go for a long journey in the car I take the mifi and they can all log in and use the signal.  

Is that one of those yokes one can buy from vodafone, o2 etc?

26 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Is that one of those yokes one can buy from vodafone, o2 etc?

I am not sure what you mean by "yokes" but yes that is what I am talking about.  Quite small and slim so can fit in a camera bag easily.  Internal aerial and a microSD card, at least in the one I have.  I use PAYG but I think contract may be better as topping up "in the filed" can be difficult.   

On 6/24/2018 at 08:52, vpics said:

Most news photographers edit their images before they send them off to agencies. Only in really rare cases they are pinged straight to the editor's desk. 

Most photographers are already equipped to send from location by using the hotspot function of their phone and most also own a laptop. 

And then there's the likes of me. And that's part of why I don't do news.

Mine is the slowest month so far this year, but not that bad for shooting only editorial stock. 

17 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

I am not sure what you mean by "yokes" but yes that is what I am talking about.  Quite small and slim so can fit in a camera bag easily.  Internal aerial and a microSD card, at least in the one I have.  I use PAYG but I think contract may be better as topping up "in the filed" can be difficult.   

Thanks, I must invest in one. By yoke I mean, thing, wotsit, object etc... :lol:

3 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

I have one on EE with a £10 a month contract, giving me a certain amount of gigs per month which I'll sometimes go over when uploading in the field. If an upload stalls because I've reached my limit I just open another tab and it goes straight to the EE 'add more gigs' page, which is a single click operation. No need to add payment details or anything. If I attend an event with a media room/tent and wifi, it'll still often offer me a stronger signal than their option. At my most recent event theirs actually went down and there was just a couple of us able to get online.

On 31/05/2018 at 20:11, Sally said:

No stock sales at all this month. So, yes a bit disappointing. Three news sales that I knew about were reported yesterday/today.

I think May was poor for me because I had just reorganised a couple of my pseudonyms. Zooms for June are way up again, and so far have had 4 sales and more news ones to come. I did think that the reorganisation might affect things, but decided that the short term hit would be outweighed by better performance once things settled down. I’m glad it only lasted a month.

No sales for me but views and zooms are up. I been going over keywords for last few months I am half way through my portfolio and I can see results in views and zooms but no sales. Must mean photos are not good enough

18 minutes ago, Southpole said:

No sales for me but views and zooms are up. I been going over keywords for last few months I am half way through my portfolio and I can see results in views and zooms but no sales. Must mean photos are not good enough

Maybe you got some sales and will only be reported soon. I've spotted 4 of my images sold, which are yet to be reported, and some were zoomed. 

1 hour ago, Southpole said:

If zooms are going up your photos are good enough and you will get sales - If only the views were going up then your keywording has helped but the photos are not good enough. 

Patience.

Kumar

8 hours ago, Marb said:

Click throughs (not sure where to see zooms) 

Where can you see click throughs, but not see zooms?

Actually: isn't a click-through a zoom, but 'zoom' is what they call it on Alamy, so I still don't know where you're seeing anything called a 'click-through'.

3 hours ago, Malcolm Park said:

Very good month for sales and income, and first ever month where every sale was from accredited events (ie: no general ‘stock‘).

Malcolm, same outcome (although not at your level of sales ... yet)  Interestingly, 90% are Downing Street shots,  most to national newspapers, (although with the newspaper scheme $ or $$ rather than $$$) although normal PU for Andrea...    I got some of ner bending to pick up dropped cabinet papers - I wonder if our friend will go for those?  One Graduate fashion week sale.

Archived