5 Sales in two years on Alamy

I have thousands of photos dating back years mainly of family life and times in Ireland.

More recently I have focused on expanding my portfolio to try to appeal to an "Alamy Audience" as my sales are

disappointing. 

Thanks to all your wonderful advice on here,  I have spent lots of time on keywording and photoshop etc and changing between

RF and RM etc  but no improvement.

Perhaps I should also try moving to another site ? Can anyone recommend a second Stock Site as I read regularly about many of you securing 

monthly sales with average to small size portfolios,  so I'm at a loss as to what I am doing wrong despite having a good amount of niche photos.

thanks

Elaine

Many of your images look rather dark to me. One of the things I sometimes do is to compare my images to others of the same subject to see if I seem to have a similar brightness to images that I think look good on the site.

Paulette

1 hour ago, efk11 said:

I have thousands of photos dating back years mainly of family life and times in Ireland.

More recently I have focused on expanding my portfolio to try to appeal to an "Alamy Audience" as my sales are

disappointing. 

Thanks to all your wonderful advice on here,  I have spent lots of time on keywording and photoshop etc and changing between

Perhaps I should also try moving to another site ? Can anyone recommend a second Stock Site as I read regularly about many of you securing 

monthly sales with average to small size portfolios,  so I'm at a loss as to what I am doing wrong despite having a good amount of niche photos.

thanks

Elaine

Hi Elaine:

I'm afraid your images look just like what you say they are - family snaps.  Way too many of Disney World.  Pics of kids posing for the camera will not do well.  You have overdone it on some of the colour saturation and luminance.  It takes practice to get just the right amount without one colour totally dominating an image.  And Paulette also is right, some are a bit dark.

You have a lot of similars as well.  If you take out Disney World your port would fall quite a bit.  And although I haven't checked, I'm sure there are lots of images of Disney World you have to compete with.  Check out some of those and see where the differences lie.  Delete a whole pile and just keep some of different subject matter within the park.  

Remember, more is not necessarily better.  You need lots of subjects, not lots of images of similar subjects.  

Keep plugging away and you will start having sales.

Jill

1 hour ago, efk11 said:

disappointing. 

thanks

Elaine

Also dont forget that you work is already spread to 80 other agencies through Alamy if you are opted in. So do indeed some good keywording and your images will appear on relevant searches in Alamy and on the distributors. 

Mirco

Thanks yes, I always keep an eye on whats selling and also try to insure I show up in the first few pages of my regular "search terms"

I like vibrant colours but will be more attentive to brightness / exposure thanks Paulette,

rgds

Elaine

Thanks Jill. I will do a cleanout so !!  I actually only added Disney World recently as it turns up in my search terms at the top and am surprised

at the lack of Disney Photos, apart from generic historic building ones. 3 of 5 my sales have been Disney. 

Thanks for your feedback re colour / luminance light etc

Very grateful

Elaine

28 minutes ago, efk11 said:

I actually only added Disney World recently as it turns up in my search terms at the top and am surprised

at the lack of Disney Photos, apart from generic historic building ones. 3 of 5 my sales have been Disney.

- and this information I would keep for myself to ensure future sales ;)

1 hour ago, Sultanpepa said:

I recently had a view for an image of which there were only three. Mine was the worst having been taken on an overcast day. Mine won't sell probably, I'll have to go back and reshoot some day. :( 

I used to think that but have been proved wrong a lot of times. A few years back I was in Rochester kent and I took a photo of the exterior of the cathedral . The day was grey and overcast but as I was there why not. My photo is half way down page 1 amongst many with blue skies but sold this month. I would rather go to somewhere new than revisiting somewhere to get blue sky shots. You cant second guess whats in the mind of a buyer

kevin

Whatever about a portfolio full of family snaps, dark images, too many similars, incorrect captions and crooked horizons - image K65KDY doesn't even have a caption!  Seriously, you need to do an awful lot of work on your port.  Alamy is a serious stock site, it ain't Flickr!

The horizon is very off straight on K58RAY. Crooked images had a brief popularity back 12 years or so. I did a few. Food, mainly. Those embarrass me now. Never have your horizon off for landscapes. Otherwise, nice image.

What was said about posed family snaps looking at the camera....just don’t upload those.  Instead, take well thought-out images of a child drying the dishes, making her bed, sweeping the floor, fixing her sister’s hair, doing school work, saying her prayers. None of those looking at the camera but looking like a slice of life. 

You have pretty children who can be great models if you know how to use them properly. I’ll take your children, please! :D

Betty

3 hours ago, funkyworm said:

... Moreover the issue of gender equality is not much of an issue when it comes to Princesses...

When we want equality , we need equality everywhere :D. What a great photo subject !  we have to find the model.

I know Betty covered this, but do check your horizons as most are off on the seascapes. If you use Lightroom to process there is a horizontal line you can draw across your horizon to straighten in the crop tools (I use this as my horizons are always off!)

Elaine I know how you feel. I have been doing stock photography for about 10 months now and have a modest portfolio. Just cant get a breakthrough with Alamy but will keep trying. I do have more or less the same portfolio with a microstock agency and have had a couple of hundred downloads in that time. Chicken feed by comparison to what some earn on Alamy but without the sales I would have lost heart by now. I haven't the courage to go exclusive with Alamy and that may well be affecting my sales.I am 70 and I just love the challenge but my portfolio may well not be good enough but I think it compares to many that I have viewed. So all the best and keep at it.  i hope you dont mind my contribution as ii don't want to cause a distraction to your thread.

14 minutes ago, Futterwithtrees said:

Elaine I know how you feel. I have been doing stock photography for about 10 months now and have a modest portfolio. Just cant get a breakthrough with Alamy but will keep trying. I do have more or less the same portfolio with a microstock agency and have had a couple of hundred downloads in that time. Chicken feed by comparison to what some earn on Alamy but without the sales I would have lost heart by now. I haven't the courage to go exclusive with Alamy and that may well be affecting my sales.I am 70 and I just love the challenge but my portfolio may well not be good enough but I think it compares to many that I have viewed. So all the best and keep at it.  i hope you dont mind my contribution as ii don't want to cause a distraction to your thread.

Do you check Alamy Measures / All of Alamy to see what customers are currently looking for in your part of the world? It can be a big help sometimes. Good luck.

I hope you're clear with Disney?

" Professional photographers with professional cameras or recording equipment, who are visiting Walt Disney World Resort with the intent to take photographs or recordings of people, Walt Disney World Resort properties or icons for professional purposes must make prior arrangements with Walt Disney World Resort Media Relations. "

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/faq/parks/restricted-personal-items

Disney are very well known for being protective and litigious about their brand. That would explain the apparently-surprisingly-few images on Alamy of Disney World etc.

As well as the Disney issue, I agree with what's been said above; your images are almost all snapshots.

Do a search on Alamy on what you think are the most important keywords in your images (one batch at a time) and ask yourself why someone would buy your images rather than the opposition. (Forget 'my kids are cuter'!) That's the best advice I ever received, and I don't pay enough attention to it, even now.

1 hour ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I hope you're clear with Disney?

" Professional photographers with professional cameras or recording equipment, who are visiting Walt Disney World Resort with the intent to take photographs or recordings of people, Walt Disney World Resort properties or icons for professional purposes must make prior arrangements with Walt Disney World Resort Media Relations. "

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/faq/parks/restricted-personal-items

Disney are very well known for being protective and litigious about their brand. That would explain the apparently-surprisingly-few images on Alamy of Disney World etc.

I found lots of images of Disney World, 18,000 when I checked,  Then I think there were another 16,000 of Disneyland.  Lots out there.

Jill

1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

I found lots of images of Disney World, 18,000 when I checked,  Then I think there were another 16,000 of Disneyland.  Lots out there.

Jill

Maybe they all got permission, or maybe not.

It was the OP who said she found surprisingly few.

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Then it should be on an arty website, lol!

Like! :)

reminds me to still have to delete a few of those horizons, which I uploaded with some of my early batches. 

It would have been helpful to me if there was a QC rule for horizons ;) - Its now a QC rule of my own. 

It took me some time to understand how an angle (unless really arty) makes an impression to a possible client. 

Looking at it now like buying a car;

"Say one looks at two possible cars to buy, both identical and exact same price but one car with a huge visible dent - which one would a client buy?"

Archived