Jump to content
efk11

5 Sales in two years on Alamy

Recommended Posts

I have thousands of photos dating back years mainly of family life and times in Ireland.

More recently I have focused on expanding my portfolio to try to appeal to an "Alamy Audience" as my sales are

disappointing. 

 

Thanks to all your wonderful advice on here,  I have spent lots of time on keywording and photoshop etc and changing between

RF and RM etc  but no improvement.

 

Perhaps I should also try moving to another site ? Can anyone recommend a second Stock Site as I read regularly about many of you securing 

monthly sales with average to small size portfolios,  so I'm at a loss as to what I am doing wrong despite having a good amount of niche photos.

 

thanks

Elaine

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alamy (understandably) frown upon mentioning rival stock sites on this board........

 

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of your images look rather dark to me. One of the things I sometimes do is to compare my images to others of the same subject to see if I seem to have a similar brightness to images that I think look good on the site.

 

Paulette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, efk11 said:

I have thousands of photos dating back years mainly of family life and times in Ireland.

More recently I have focused on expanding my portfolio to try to appeal to an "Alamy Audience" as my sales are

disappointing. 

 

Thanks to all your wonderful advice on here,  I have spent lots of time on keywording and photoshop etc and changing between

RF and RM etc  but no improvement.

 

Perhaps I should also try moving to another site ? Can anyone recommend a second Stock Site as I read regularly about many of you securing 

monthly sales with average to small size portfolios,  so I'm at a loss as to what I am doing wrong despite having a good amount of niche photos.

 

thanks

Elaine

 

 

Hi Elaine:

 

I'm afraid your images look just like what you say they are - family snaps.  Way too many of Disney World.  Pics of kids posing for the camera will not do well.  You have overdone it on some of the colour saturation and luminance.  It takes practice to get just the right amount without one colour totally dominating an image.  And Paulette also is right, some are a bit dark.

 

You have a lot of similars as well.  If you take out Disney World your port would fall quite a bit.  And although I haven't checked, I'm sure there are lots of images of Disney World you have to compete with.  Check out some of those and see where the differences lie.  Delete a whole pile and just keep some of different subject matter within the park.  

 

Remember, more is not necessarily better.  You need lots of subjects, not lots of images of similar subjects.  

 

Keep plugging away and you will start having sales.

 

Jill

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, efk11 said:

I have thousands of photos dating back years mainly of family life and times in Ireland.

More recently I have focused on expanding my portfolio to try to appeal to an "Alamy Audience" as my sales are

disappointing. 

 

Thanks to all your wonderful advice on here,  I have spent lots of time on keywording and photoshop etc and changing between

RF and RM etc  but no improvement.

 

Perhaps I should also try moving to another site ? Can anyone recommend a second Stock Site as I read regularly about many of you securing 

monthly sales with average to small size portfolios,  so I'm at a loss as to what I am doing wrong despite having a good amount of niche photos.

 

thanks

Elaine

 

 

Also dont forget that you work is already spread to 80 other agencies through Alamy if you are opted in. So do indeed some good keywording and your images will appear on relevant searches in Alamy and on the distributors. 

 

Mirco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks yes, I always keep an eye on whats selling and also try to insure I show up in the first few pages of my regular "search terms"

I like vibrant colours but will be more attentive to brightness / exposure thanks Paulette,

 

rgds

Elaine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently had a view for an image of which there were only three. Mine was the worst having been taken on an overcast day. Mine won't sell probably, I'll have to go back and reshoot some day. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jill. I will do a cleanout so !!  I actually only added Disney World recently as it turns up in my search terms at the top and am surprised

at the lack of Disney Photos, apart from generic historic building ones. 3 of 5 my sales have been Disney. 

 

Thanks for your feedback re colour / luminance light etc

 

Very grateful

Elaine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, efk11 said:

I actually only added Disney World recently as it turns up in my search terms at the top and am surprised

at the lack of Disney Photos, apart from generic historic building ones. 3 of 5 my sales have been Disney.

 

- and this information I would keep for myself to ensure future sales ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sultanpepa said:

I recently had a view for an image of which there were only three. Mine was the worst having been taken on an overcast day. Mine won't sell probably, I'll have to go back and reshoot some day. :( 

I used to think that but have been proved wrong a lot of times. A few years back I was in Rochester kent and I took a photo of the exterior of the cathedral . The day was grey and overcast but as I was there why not. My photo is half way down page 1 amongst many with blue skies but sold this month. I would rather go to somewhere new than revisiting somewhere to get blue sky shots. You cant second guess whats in the mind of a buyer

kevin

Edited by KWheal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just been through a bunch from a dull day- won't be going back any time soon so I just turned up the LR knobs a bit.

But there are more than three of this subject. It's the Alhambra.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever about a portfolio full of family snaps, dark images, too many similars, incorrect captions and crooked horizons - image K65KDY doesn't even have a caption!  Seriously, you need to do an awful lot of work on your port.  Alamy is a serious stock site, it ain't Flickr!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The horizon is very off straight on K58RAY. Crooked images had a brief popularity back 12 years or so. I did a few. Food, mainly. Those embarrass me now. Never have your horizon off for landscapes. Otherwise, nice image.

What was said about posed family snaps looking at the camera....just don’t upload those.  Instead, take well thought-out images of a child drying the dishes, making her bed, sweeping the floor, fixing her sister’s hair, doing school work, saying her prayers. None of those looking at the camera but looking like a slice of life. 

You have pretty children who can be great models if you know how to use them properly. I’ll take your children, please! :D

Betty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Never have your horizon off for landscapes.

 

Unless it's off at such an angle that makes it look arty. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, funkyworm said:

... Moreover the issue of gender equality is not much of an issue when it comes to Princesses...

 

When we want equality , we need equality everywhere :D. What a great photo subject !  we have to find the model.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Betty covered this, but do check your horizons as most are off on the seascapes. If you use Lightroom to process there is a horizontal line you can draw across your horizon to straighten in the crop tools (I use this as my horizons are always off!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like PTLens for straightening horizons and correcting verticals, etc. Great little program.

 

P.S. You can download PTLens and try it for free on 10 images. Very easy to use.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elaine I know how you feel. I have been doing stock photography for about 10 months now and have a modest portfolio. Just cant get a breakthrough with Alamy but will keep trying. I do have more or less the same portfolio with a microstock agency and have had a couple of hundred downloads in that time. Chicken feed by comparison to what some earn on Alamy but without the sales I would have lost heart by now. I haven't the courage to go exclusive with Alamy and that may well be affecting my sales.I am 70 and I just love the challenge but my portfolio may well not be good enough but I think it compares to many that I have viewed. So all the best and keep at it.  i hope you dont mind my contribution as ii don't want to cause a distraction to your thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Futterwithtrees said:

Elaine I know how you feel. I have been doing stock photography for about 10 months now and have a modest portfolio. Just cant get a breakthrough with Alamy but will keep trying. I do have more or less the same portfolio with a microstock agency and have had a couple of hundred downloads in that time. Chicken feed by comparison to what some earn on Alamy but without the sales I would have lost heart by now. I haven't the courage to go exclusive with Alamy and that may well be affecting my sales.I am 70 and I just love the challenge but my portfolio may well not be good enough but I think it compares to many that I have viewed. So all the best and keep at it.  i hope you dont mind my contribution as ii don't want to cause a distraction to your thread.

 

Do you check Alamy Measures / All of Alamy to see what customers are currently looking for in your part of the world? It can be a big help sometimes. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you're clear with Disney?

" Professional photographers with professional cameras or recording equipment, who are visiting Walt Disney World Resort with the intent to take photographs or recordings of people, Walt Disney World Resort properties or icons for professional purposes must make prior arrangements with Walt Disney World Resort Media Relations. "

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/faq/parks/restricted-personal-items

Disney are very well known for being protective and litigious about their brand. That would explain the apparently-surprisingly-few images on Alamy of Disney World etc.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As well as the Disney issue, I agree with what's been said above; your images are almost all snapshots.

Do a search on Alamy on what you think are the most important keywords in your images (one batch at a time) and ask yourself why someone would buy your images rather than the opposition. (Forget 'my kids are cuter'!) That's the best advice I ever received, and I don't pay enough attention to it, even now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I hope you're clear with Disney?

" Professional photographers with professional cameras or recording equipment, who are visiting Walt Disney World Resort with the intent to take photographs or recordings of people, Walt Disney World Resort properties or icons for professional purposes must make prior arrangements with Walt Disney World Resort Media Relations. "

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/faq/parks/restricted-personal-items

Disney are very well known for being protective and litigious about their brand. That would explain the apparently-surprisingly-few images on Alamy of Disney World etc.

 

I found lots of images of Disney World, 18,000 when I checked,  Then I think there were another 16,000 of Disneyland.  Lots out there.

 

Jill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jill Morgan said:

 

I found lots of images of Disney World, 18,000 when I checked,  Then I think there were another 16,000 of Disneyland.  Lots out there.

 

Jill

Maybe they all got permission, or maybe not.

It was the OP who said she found surprisingly few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vpics said:

 

Unless it's off at such an angle that makes it look arty. ;-)

Then it should be on an arty website, lol!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.