How many have you done?

Out of 5015 images, I have 678 done of my legacy images.  

The worst for me. 

Broken tags.

a tag with a single letter, usually s.

Some tags had periods after them.

Some tags showed the commas.

Some I know darn well I had a comma after every tag, showed three unrelated tags together.

Some of my comma surrounded phrases were broken into single tags.

Had I not had to deal with that mess, I could have done 1000.

Betty

50 so far, and I'm by no means  sure about the benefit of doing those, the few checks I've conducted seem to indicate that making phrases into supertags instead of single keywords has pushed some images lower in search results. I'm going to do some more detailed experimentation next week before I get into wholesale re-keywording.

Not counting, doing this in a fairly random fashion. Looked at my best sellers first, then groups of similar images etc. Will probably end up with loads of unmodified images hidden away in rarely visited corners.

The good news, I have found a spelling mistake

50 so far, and I'm by no means  sure about the benefit of doing those, the few checks I've conducted seem to indicate that making phrases into supertags instead of single keywords has pushed some images lower in search results. I'm going to do some more detailed experimentation next week before I get into wholesale re-keywording.

I have noticed this as well, so I'm not touching anything any more.

I seemed to be a bit obsessed. I think I'll watch television or read a book on my kindle, then before I know it I've snatched up my iPad and started working again.

My iPad is truly worth what I spent on it. I can "kind of" keep up with the TV while I work. I do spend a lot of time on my iMac because doing them is quicker on it. The typing part especially when I need to add new tags or replace the messed up ones. I hunt and peck on my iPad.

Come evening, it's the iPad.

I ran searches on a lot of my images I completed last week. They are still coming up on the first page, and a few were placed higher than before.

I ran searches on a lot of my images I completed last week. They are still coming up on the first page, and a few were placed higher than before.

I had mixed results.

Image A: had 6 super-tags, I added 4 --> Dropped from page 2 (#217) to page 3 (#264)

Image B: had 5 super-tags, I added 5 --> Dropped from position #7 to #13 (page 1)

Image C: deleted single tags 'New' 'South' 'Wales', created super-tag 'New South Wales' --> dropped from page 5 (#481) to page 8 (#878)

Images D, E, F, and G: remained at same position

In some cases, change is minimal but scary enough to make me stop until I understand what's going on. 15,168 to do is no joke.

Out of 5015 images, I have 678 done of my legacy images.  

The worst for me. 

Broken tags.

a tag with a single letter, usually s.

Some tags had periods after them.

Some tags showed the commas.

Some I know darn well I had a comma after every tag, showed three unrelated tags together.

Some of my comma surrounded phrases were broken into single tags.

Had I not had to deal with that mess, I could have done 1000.

Betty

I've managed to turn several hundred green, but I wish I didn't have to. I really liked the old system of 'not on sale - needs more work' because then you knew what had been annotated after upload and what hadn't.

I now have hundreds of images with 'poor discoverability'  that I am perfectly happy with and would like to mark as 'done' so they disappear from the to do list, but they are all lumped together with all the new ones that still need work.

We really need a box to tick along the lines of "done as far as I'm concerned even if I couldn't think of 41 relevant tags".

I've been a member of the haphazard club up until now. Just starting to get a bit more organized and have probably done about 250 or so. I've found tags with commas in them, tags with too much stuff in them, typos, broken up phrases, the whole gamut of possible errors. I'm working from the present back in time. Not looking forward to the mess that awaits me in my early submissions. I'm not paying any notice to "discoverability." I still think that lean and mean is the best way to go when it comes to keywords (whoops, I mean 'tags').

I have no plans to make any changes until everything settles down.  Despite some strange tags and duplicates my 'test searches' are working as I would expect and my zooms seem normal.  My thoughts are that the tags might appear off but the keyword data in the background out of sight is still ok.

I can imagine how I would feel if I'd spent hours making changes too early (knee jerk reaction) only to find an update jumbles them up again!

The new interface works fine for new uploads now I know the best way to keyword, which I do in Elements before saving the image.  The transfer of keywords into 'tags' works well for me.

John

I have no plans to make any changes until everything settles down.  Despite some strange tags and duplicates my 'test searches' are working as I would expect and my zooms seem normal.  My thoughts are that the tags might appear off but the keyword data in the background out of sight is still ok.

I can imagine how I would feel if I'd spent hours making changes too early (knee jerk reaction) only to find an update jumbles them up again!

The new interface works fine for new uploads now I know the best way to keyword, which I do in Elements before saving the image.  The transfer of keywords into 'tags' works well for me.

John

I have an older copy of Elements that doesn't allow the addition of keywords, just captions. What version do you have? Do you know when Adobe added this feature?

I currently use PhotoMechanic for keywording, which I'm very happy with, but it would be nice to have an additional option.

John

I have an older copy of Elements that doesn't allow the addition of keywords, just captions. What version do you have? Do you know when Adobe added this feature?

I currently use PhotoMechanic for keywording, which I'm very happy with, but it would be nice to have an additional option.

Hi John

Hope this helps....

I'm on Elements 13 but I'm sure it's been there on my earlier versions.  With an image open - File / File Info / Description .  In v13 it allows various items but I just use the 'Description' box and the 'Keyword' box.  They both transfer direct into the new Image Manager perfectly.  For keywords I use commas and for phrases I enter the phrase with spaces and commas either side.    ie.   canterbury cathedral,canterbury,kent,england,tourist attraction,medieval

I've done a few hundred legacy images and having compared position movement I've now stopped. In most cases I merely added supertags to the existing supertags, leaving the originals as they were, and this caused a drop!

Conclusion. Promotion is demotion. The more info you provide the more detrimental it is.

I've done a few hundred legacy images and having compared position movement I've now stopped. In most cases I merely added supertags to the existing supertags, leaving the originals as they were, and this caused a drop!

Conclusion. Promotion is demotion. The more info you provide the more detrimental it is.

I think that the Alamy needs to rethink the "discoverability" bar since it apparently (?) reacts only to the number of tags added. There is such a thing as too much information when it comes to keywording. I'm doing quite a bit of pruning along with adding supertags.

John

Me too. It's such a mess at the moment. I've made a few minor mods to old images (converted individual tags to when I've spotted images coming high up in searches where I'd rather they didn't) and I'll use for new images (no choice), but will leave the majority of my images alone for now.

With respect to comments about adding tags or supertags reducing an image's placement, I seem to recall a discussion that if an image had only one keyword (for example) and it matched the user's single keyword search, it would be given a higher keyword matching score than images that had many keywords. Certainly, if I was writing the matching algorithm, I'd probably include this.

I can't understand why on earth Alamy included the discoverability index that appears to encourage keyword spamming. Almost all my images have "poor discoverability", but I'm getting record numbers of views.

Seems like the left hand (new search algorithm) and right hand (new MI) are somewhat disconnected at the moment... 

As with other good folks on this thread, I've decided not to do anything in retrospect until the new system is sorted. It is, or will be, time consuming and time is what we have precious little of! I'm continuing to upload new images as normal and, of course, using the new system. For new images it seems to work for me and I've even managed a 'green' discoverability line for one image but can't yet figure out yet why some of my others haven't got there despite tagging in a similar fashion. I guess time will tell. Must leave all this behind and get out to clear my head and make the most of a grey Norfolk day!!

Jim. ;)   

So are we sure the clipping etc. is a glitch and will be sorted out without intervention from us? I'm reading these threads about MI v2 before I've been migrated with increasing nervousness - especially this one.

I haven't read any comments from Alamy about this but some reassurance (from anyone with firm knowledge) would be very welcome. Thanks.

Rgds,

Richard.

Archived