How many have you done?

Apart from a quick look round I never intended to do anything until at least April. New software ALWAYS takes time to settle down, I rarely upgrade until at least the first bug fix is released and often leave it until the first new feature release.

But then I was once a programmer, and an IT director.

Apart from a quick look round I never intended to do anything until at least April. New software ALWAYS takes time to settle down, I rarely upgrade until at least the first bug fix is released and often leave it until the first new feature release.

But then I was once a programmer, and an IT director.

I might take your lead, as I have been going bog eyed with the new IM.

So many non intuitive actions required for simple tasks that it is seeming like a complete waste of energy.

Can't be bothered. Stopped uploading now too.

I will wait till the new new AIM rolls out with all the corrections done and suggestions from contributors on the forums are embraced and added too.

Going to look in other directions now like my own website, POD sites, selling framed prints through galleries, etc.etc.

Allan

5, which because of that dropped it's placement so I'm not going to do anything.  Why do work just to be worse off.  Silly.

+1

I have done about a dozen which took an age and ended up with worse placement.  This version of IM needs some serious work to make it user-friendly

Pearl

.... but I really think that very few contributors will bother, maybe about 5% tops....

As a contributor I haven't been happy with my results, so this is exactly why I have been planning on a 100% rework - new IM or not. As Allan quotes 'A keyword is worth a thousand pictures', and I've learnt a lot since joining Alamy regarding keywording. By applying the additional tools as I go I should end up with a far more attractive portfolio. Should.

5, which because of that dropped it's placement so I'm not going to do anything.  Why do work just to be worse off.  Silly.

+1

I have done about a dozen which took an age and ended up with worse placement.  This version of IM needs some serious work to make it user-friendly

Pearl

By applying logic to my portfolio, surely it's more to do with the search algorithms catching up with the database than any issues with the IM?

+1

Pearl

By applying logic to my portfolio, surely it's more to do with the search algorithms catching up with the database than any issues with the IM?

How so?  How is it catching up?  How are you applying the logic?  Just curious.  How many more months will it take to catch up?

I'd find it hard to believe that the system is updated so quickly. My dashboard is now five days out of date, so I'd figure that the whole Alamy structure is currently unsettled. Surely it makes sense to do what you can to make your images more attractive, using a logic which I'd hope will be something close to that of a search spider once things settle down?

I've worked on a small number from my earliest submissions. Partly because my approach to keywording has evolved over the years and it was a good excuse to revisit some early images. But partly to see what changes in keywording could do to the position of certain images. I took one particular image and made several changes over several days and discovered that changing keywords, creating supertags with multiple words, increasing tags till the bar turns green etc makes little difference.

Based purely on my own experience, I think it possible that every image has been assigned a rank, or weighted in some way, and fiddling with keywords is unlikely to achieve much - assuming that your existing keywords are relevant. This could possibly explain inconsistencies in search results. When a photographer's rank was the determinant, search results were much more predictable. It was possible to see a correlation between rank and history of sales and the message was clear - produce top class pictures and you will climb the ranks. Nowadays I have absolutely no idea what affects the position of images in searches.

I've been away for a week and come back to all this !

Threads everywhere, hundreds of comments on the new system and an overriding sense of confusion.

Is there I wonder a synopsis of 'what we know for sure' anywhere ? 'Cos I can't face reading all the threads.

I'm going to process and submit but am not going anywhere near MI for the foreseeable future or at least until I start seeing

smiley, happy people making satisfied,cooing comments.

Threads everywhere, hundreds of comments on the new system and an overriding sense of confusion.

Is there I wonder a synopsis of 'what we know for sure' anywhere ? 'Cos I can't face reading all the threads.

I'm going to process and submit but am not going anywhere near MI for the foreseeable future or at least until I start seeing

No one knows anything for sure, it's all speculation.  Everyday something changes.

I've worked both ends of my legacy images and feel the oldest need the most work. When I first joined, I wasn't very good with keywording, and horrible with captions. Most of all, I thought any well-exposed image was a good stock image. Not so. Looking at some of this old stuff has been a revelation. And somewhat of an embarrassment.

This is what I've been doing.

1. Rewriting captions

2. Deleting irrelevant tags

3. Adding a few better tags only if needed

4. Deleting images that I added when I absolutely didn't understand stock subject matter

5. Assigning marginally decent images to a junk pseudo.

All of this while ignoring the color bar, but fixing an image often moves me edging into green. Who cares.

This might or might not improve sales, zooms, etc, but it is something that needs done and I've wanted to do for ages.

A synopsis is definitely needed. The bottom line is that there are some bugs but the new interface itself is (in my opinion and that of a number of other contibutors) poorly designed, difficult to use even when you get used to it and will not be made right by bug fixes, so I think happy faces are going to be few and far between. Somebody mentioned being happy that they could do keywording on an iPad in front of the telly so, if that is what you like, then your luck is in.

If you have been transferred to the new system, then you may as well get on with keywording new submissions as it's unlikely to change fundamentally but it is probably unwise to start redoing older images. You should probably not get caught up in the discoverability panic as it may mean very little as far as I understand - discoverability is directly proportional to the number of tags it seems and may have not have much signficance in searches (the jury is out on that one I think).

A synopsis is definitely needed. The bottom line is that there are some bugs but the new interface itself is (in my opinion and that of a number of other contibutors) poorly designed, difficult to use even when you get used to it and will not be made right by bug fixes, so I think happy faces are going to be few and far between. Somebody mentioned being happy that they could do keywording on an iPad in front of the telly so, if that is what you like, then your luck is in.

If you have been transferred to the new system, then you may as well get on with keywording new submissions as it's unlikely to change fundamentally but it is probably unwise to start redoing older images. You should probably not get caught up in the discoverability panic as it may mean very little as far as I understand - discoverability is directly proporptional to the number of tags it seems and may have not have much signficance in searches (the jury is out on that one I think).

I disagree on redoing older images. Deleting bad images, fixing captions, assigning marginal images to a junk pseudo can't hurt and if you ask Geoff S, helps. He did what I'm doing and began making more sales.

I can't see a thing wrong with that.

To each, his own. And I'm not adding tags to increase discoverability, but it seems when I fix a bad caption, it happens. And I personally don't feel it's unwise.

Edited to add. It was me who mentioned working on my iPad. That's been something some contributors have wanted for a long time. So....I can work in front of the television. Lots of others can work while traveling. It's only a good thing. It's not inconsequential.

If you have been transferred to the new system, then you may as well get on with keywording new submissions as it's unlikely to change fundamentally but it is probably unwise to start redoing older images. You should probably not get caught up in the discoverability panic as it may mean very little as far as I understand - discoverability is directly proporptional to the number of tags it seems and may have not have much signficance in searches (the jury is out on that one I think).

I disagree on redoing older images. Deleting bad images, fixing captions, assigning marginal images to a junk pseudo can't hurt and if you ask Geoff S, helps. He did what I'm doing and began making more sales.

To each, his own. And I'm not adding tags to increase discoverability, but it seems when I fix a bad caption, it happens.

Betty, how do you measure that he began making more sales, this thing hasn't been in the wild long enough.

To each, his own. And I'm not adding tags to increase discoverability, but it seems when I fix a bad caption, it happens.

In relation to older images, I think it is wise to wait a bit and see if Alamy introduce a few features that could probably be easily implemented such as a one-click delete all keywords so a simple paste of a new set would do the trick instead of the incredibly fiddly methods currently required. Also there appear to be some bugs in relation to images holding new data that may get fixed.

And it might hurt - repetitive strain injury may result from continuous unnecessary mouse clicking and long hours spent on tasks that may become easier with a few quick fixes.

Betty, how do you measure that he began making more sales, this thing hasn't been in the wild long enough.

Geoff, you need to weigh in, here. I distinctly remember threads in the past months where Geoff discussed some of the things I mentioned, and how making those changes helped sales. He deleted images and made more sales with a smaller port.

I don't think I'm dreaming.

In relation to older images, I think it is wise to wait a bit and see if Alamy introduce a few features that could probably be easily implemented such as a one-click delete all keywords so a simple paste of a new set would do the trick instead of the incredibly fiddly methods currently required. Also there appear to be some bugs in relation to images holding new data that may get fixed.

And it might hurt - repetitive strain injury may result from continuous unnecessary mouse clicking and long hours spent on tasks that may become easier with a few quick fixes.

:D :D Finally a voice of reason! My hand has often began to tremble after working for a long time!

Geoff, you need to weigh in, here. I distinctly remember threads in the past months where Geoff discussed some of the things I mentioned, and how making those changes helped sales. He deleted images and made more sales with a smaller port.

I'm talking in the past, not since the new MI.

I'm talking in the past, not since the new MI.

Sure you have the right Geoff? Not this one  by any chance: http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/user/549-gs-images/

Archived