I just checked again. Page 10, sorted by relevance, 100 images per page. Before that I was on page 23, and I don't remember anything noteworthy happening to that picture lately, i.e., no keyword editing, no views or zooms.

For me the rerank would fit to the general surge in CTR I'm seeing: my last 12 months average is 1.02, but last 6 months average is 1.4.

I seem stuck about the same place on page 3 for several re-ranks. Good enough but I wouldn't like to slip down much further. I still see quite a few photographers with a whole raft of BHZs. It escapes me why anyone would do that but then I don't get lots of stuff these days.

Yes, there has been a rerank, and I've slipped down from my deserved and rightful place on Page One to Page Two.

Page Two? Suddenly I'm second best! You don't understand. I coulda been somebody, not a bum. Instead I'm on a one-way ticket to Palookaville. 

Yes, there has been a rerank, and I've slipped down from my deserved and rightful place on Page One to Page Two.

Page Two? Suddenly I'm second best! You don't understand. I coulda been somebody, not a bum. Instead I'm on a one-way ticket to Palookaville. 

You did not go from 120/page to 100/page?

wim

If you like I'll reserve a spot for you next to me on page 23, Ed.

Looks like a reranking has occurred recently, at least if you believe in the BHZ game.

Christoph

Hi Christophe, As a 'newbie' I wasn't sure what you were referring to when you mentioned BHZ so I looked it up - http://www.alamy.com/blog/stressing-alamyrank-dont - now understand that it isn't an exotic brand of cigarettes but thought I'd put the link in for any other newbies that might be interested! :-)

Looks like a reranking has occurred recently, at least if you believe in the BHZ game.

Christoph

Hi Christophe, As a 'newbie' I wasn't sure what you were referring to when you mentioned BHZ so I looked it up - http://www.alamy.com/blog/stressing-alamyrank-dont - now understand that it isn't an exotic brand of cigarettes but thought I'd put the link in for any other newbies that might be interested! :-)

The link shows Alamy say ignore BHZ. However, I still think it gives a partial insight into some of the things going on behind the scenes. I see some correlation between significant changes in my BHZ position and changes in the number of views (as a % of my collection) I get per quarter. For sure there are plenty of other factors that affect quarterly views, in particular a seasonal variation in the types of images being searched for versus the type of landscape images I have in my collection. Nevertheless I think BHZ is useful.

I view mine at 120 per page / relevant / equal size tile view.

What settings do you guys use?

The same, plus untick RF.

Geoff.

+1

And I use <ctrl><F> to search for my BHZ Alamy image ref within each page in turn.

My problem is that neither BHZ or CTR predict anything when it comes to my collection. For me, the only thing that counts is competition; if I have something that few others have, then my chances are much better. Otherwise, it's the lottery.

The only value of BHZ is to show you relative movement against a small subset of other contributors for one search term that no customer will ever use.

Why not see where your pictures rank on real search terms instead? Surely that's just as informative and more useful?

Alan

The only value of BHZ is to show you relative movement against a small subset of other contributors for one search term that no customer will ever use.

Why not see where your pictures rank on real search terms instead? Surely that's just as informative and more useful?

Alan

Exactly what I do, I use the same search terms and despite my lowly BHZ ranking (page 20+) and well below average CTR,  I still have pictures on page 1 or 2, sometimes in the top few lines of page 1. That is for a fairly generic set of multiple search terms for my home town with a large number of results.

Alan

I'm sure that everyone who does the BHZ thing will also know positions of some of their other images too. I have details of the position of a few of my images from each pseudo, so I can compare that when we get a rerank. Since I started using BHZ, it's shown where I stand compared to other contributors, and most those who do it will be the more serious ones who I'm in competition with. By that, I mean those who look at their views, zooms, AoA, tweak keywords based on all that, and basically know how the system at Alamy works and how to get the best from it. I'm not in competition with many others who post countless similars, don't process their images well and keyword spam, as their rank is usually too low to affect me.

BHZ for my 4 pseudonyms gives a good reflection of my rank that fits in with other search results for my own images. 2 of my pseudos are quite new (since the last rerank) and the BHZ images in those are actually next to each other in the results. That's a pretty good indication that it's showing a median rank that new pseudos have quite accurately. So although it isn't ever going to give an actual rank value, it's a good indication, and however many times Alamy tell us it's "just a game" and try to put us off using it, the facts are the facts, at least based on my own findings and that of others who also find it useful.

From reading this thread there are obviously those who's BHZ results don't seem to fit in with their performance in other searches. I think part of that is that the majority of contributors have a particularly low rank, so the ones doing BHZ and monitoring and tweaking their portfolio regularly are probably quite a small percentage of people. Of course others won't agree with me, but I'm just going by my own findings and for me, so far, BHZ works. I never used to use it because I didn't want to see how low my position was! It was suggested I try it though, and I'm glad now that I did.

Geoff.

+1

Some people just don't get it and won't be convinced but that's their loss. 

Pearl

Archived