The only value of BHZ is to show you relative movement against a small subset of other contributors for one search term that no customer will ever use.

Why not see where your pictures rank on real search terms instead? Surely that's just as informative and more useful?

Alan

For the short term that would be sufficient, for the long term it is not.

I do both however, and because some of my normal searches are cities, it became clear very quickly that there was something going on with names of cities in the keywords. And it was not my rank. I'm not sure all has been resolved. And I still don't know how to counter the problem where it still exists: For one city I'm on the 1st row of page 1, while my second image is on page 100, but once in a while it's on page 200 or page 300. Some of my images started appearing consistently after #91. Different images for different keywords. It was impossible to get them to appear higher up, where they used to be. I would have accepted it as a sign that my rank was slipping. Only it was not my rank and I hate it when it's something that I'm doing or not doing that cause perfectly fine and selling images to sink out of sight.

wim

Not sure of the accuracy. With Creative ticked I'm still on page 1 for my main pseudo. Not so for Relevant but I may have just searched Creative on the last re-rank. Anyway, three of them - all different pseudos with widely different CTRs - are then clumped together on page 7 when I search under Relevant and a few rows down on that same page I seem to have two more from two of those same pseudos. Shouldn't the BHZ photos from the same pseudos be together? (A mistake on my part to have more than one BHZ image per pseudo I realize, but instructive here).

Before I landed on page 1 of Creative, I think my pseudos were all between pages 13 and 18 so I guess overall things are moving in the right direction. I'd like to see my main pseudo on page 1 of Relevant some day soon. Interestingly, my best pseudo in terms of CTR (#4) isn't showing up at all so I'm guessing I must have moved a BHZ from there to another one. I have them set up: straight editorial, USA travel, Europe travel, and concept images/RF

Had a sale today on an unzoomed image, so wonder if that helps or not. More zooms than in the past this year, though sales are pretty much the same as they were last year despite adding new and I think better photos this year, and deleting around 50 old ones. Anyway, I should be glad that my small USA travel portfolio is moving up in the ranks.  

My understanding is that any image using BHZ will be internally marked as “leave on system but do not sell”.

Waste of time, make images instead.

LOL!

Some of my BHZ images are still selling quite well, thank you.

wim

My understanding is that any image using BHZ will be internally marked as “leave on system but do not sell”.

But how do you understand this? :unsure:

Joke.

Bill is Canadian. Their cheeks are big enough to accommodate their tongues.

I view mine at 120 per page / relevant / equal size tile view.

What settings do you guys use?

Hmm. Funny you should mention that. Someone had changed my setting to Creative, and when I just changed it back to Relevant, my BHZ image went back on Page One. Ha! The planets are back in alignment and all is right with the world.  Thanks, John.  :)

But how do you understand this? :unsure:

Joke.

Bill is Canadian. Their cheeks are big enough to accommodate their tongues.

Canadians understand satire. 

That is why Canadians know Donald Trump was born in Canada, and is therefore ineligible to run for the Presidency of the USA.

We seem to have drifted off topic but I can't resist recalling back when I was growing up in Eastern Ontario that periodically an American politician would stand up with a brainstorm and propose to annex Canada. But I've never heard this Trump notion that "surely we once owned Canada and carelessly let it slide away" No, America did invade Canada in the Niagara Peninsula back in 1812 and got pushed back rather quickly with a little help from the British and a canny bunch of Indians who sank the American's supply in Lake Erie. Doesn't sound like a bow and arrow gang. There was an altercation at a windmill on the St Lawrence in 1838 near Prescott but again the Canadians prevailed. There are Canadians who delight in the idea that the only country to have won a war with America is Canada. If you count South Park that makes it twice.

None of this is very relevant to-day and nobody gets to see South Park anymore.

But back to BHZ, thanks Edo, I hadn't noticed that the default setting had gone to Creative. Resetting to relevance puts me a little higher up the order to the last line of page 2. Doesn't put money in the bank of course, and that image has never sold so maybe Bill is onto something.

Yeah, the War of 1812. That's was a bad idea from the get-go. It was aimed at the British however, not Canada, since Canada was not yet a nation. My son lives in Montreal, by the way. 

BHZ does not tell us a lot, but it does indicate which direction our rank is moving. Glad to see you're still in good shape, Robert. 

Archived