And Alamy don't mind selling these pics?

Some of those sell really well, so I doubt it.

Do a search for Nasa; White House or American Navy images.

If they are made by someone working for the US government it's all allowed. The idea is that the tax payers have already paid for it. And what the client pays for is not the copyright, but the fact the image has been provided to the market. Or better put: the work that it has cost to do that. Maybe that's cutting a curve a bit as they say here, but that is basically it.

Check the images found threads for some sales.

wim

What is that Pixabay site? A lot of images have Shutterstock watermarks. I traced one of the images from our bhz spammer to Pixabay and the photographer said she'd appreciate a message about any uses. I wanted to let her know that somebody is selling her image but I would have had to go to Facebook to do it and I'm not there. Should we be trying to notify the photographers who seem to be getting ripped off? Do you think they don't care since they have put their images on a free site? I'm not understanding what is going on here.

Paulette

Do you think this "FL collection" is acting as an agency and putting the images here with permission and will pay the photographers? Just trying to understand the situation.

Paulette

Are they past P3? Because I'm not seeing them?

Someone has thrown 1116 images with BHZ in the mix.

wim

edit: before he/she only had 215 images in bhz ;-)

;-)

Yes if you start looking at around p33 @90, you'll encounter them.

Not sure if this is line up is definitive. See the mute swan cygnets problem.

wim

(still missing some too)

Wim - "Mute Swan Cygnets Problem" - wasn't that in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, along with “Silver Blaze” - the curious incident of the dog in the night-time?

- Ann

Someone has thrown 1116 images with BHZ in the mix.

wim

edit: before he/she only had 215 images in bhz ;-)

edit 2: There's someone with 20 images as well. With the same initials.

I see what you mean. What would be the point of their doing this? Don't get it.

So, am I getting this right? These people source images from the internet that are in the Creative Commons domain and the actual photographers have relinquished all their rights - without even realising that someone is making money out of their pics?

Yes

I thought it wasn't permitted to sell images that are in the public domain.  Isn't that in the contract somewhere?

I think I'm the first in this thread to report a negative. I've slipped 6 pages to 9 which given my lacklustre sales this year is probably right. I had opened a new pseudo for images that I thought I may delete and it has a better CTR than my main one. Maybe that's had a negative effect.  :unsure:

Edit- seems Bill beat me to it. lol

I looked into a couple of the photos from Fl Collection one came from Pixabay the other from Freeimages.co.uk.  Reading pixabay's terms of use they don't expressly forbid reselling of images.  Freeimages on the other hand does.  Reselling these public domain images seems dishonest to me as they were intended to be free.  Many people want to use them for projects after they modify them or include them in their own artwork or for private use which I am sure the original creator intended.  I wonder what Alamy thinks about this and does it violate their terms of use. 

I looked into a couple of the photos from Fl Collection one came from Pixabay the other from Freeimages.co.uk.  Reading pixabay's terms of use they don't expressly forbid reselling of images.  Freeimages on the other hand does.  Reselling these public domain images seems dishonest to me as they were intended to be free.  Many people want to use them for projects after they modify them or include them in their own artwork or for private use which I am sure the original creator intended.  I wonder what Alamy thinks about this and does it violate their terms of use. 

You're probably correct about the intentions of the original creators, although many of them were probably just naive and didn't think about the possible consequences of giving up all rights to their work. Whatever the case, this is starting to sound more and more like the used-car business.

Here's a more important test search to do:  pick a single word subject on something you know you have and search it on Alamy's home page. I just did a dozen such tests. "Blueberries" showed 21,489. I am on Page One. "Pasta" showed 82,056. I am on Page One. As I said, I'm also on Page One of BHZ. Great, eh? I'm Mr. Wonderful!

But where are the sales, may I ask?

Edo  :blink:

You take one image from each pseudo and put BHZ in the essential keyword box. After it goes live in 24 hours, do a search, the members here who know what to do need to tell you what to put in as far as the search term. I don't play the BHZ game, so I've not delved into it. It is a way to see what page that image falls on. Then if there is a re rank, check again to see if you've moved up or down.

I did some simple one-word or in the case of a name like "Home Depot" two words searches of 10-12 of my images yesterday, and I am very pleased to be on page one or two with most of them. I do have a pseudo or two to evaluate, yet.

My word, while I composed this, many people beat me to it.

Here's a more important test search to do:  pick a single word subject on something you know you have and search it on Alamy's home page. I just did a dozen such tests. "Blueberries" showed 21,489. I am on Page One. "Pasta" showed 82,056. I am on Page One. As I said, I'm also on Page One of BHZ. Great, eh? I'm Mr. Wonderful!

Good question. You'd think that blueberry pasta would be all the rage in some foodie circles. ^_^

P.S. When I do searches such as the ones that you suggest, I find that images from my secondary pseudo (far down the BHZ pack) come up on page one of search results almost as often as those in my main pseudo (on page one of BHZ); so I think that overall rank must be more important than BHZ position. As you suggest, though, being at the top of sales results doesn't necessarily lead to more licenses. Someone has to actually want the images.

Good question. You'd think that blueberry pasta would be all the rage in some foodie circles. ^_^

P.S. When I do searches such as the ones that you suggest, I find that images from my secondary pseudo (far down the BHZ pack) come up on page one of search results almost as often as those in my main pseudo (on page one of BHZ); so I think that overall rank must be more important than BHZ position. As you suggest, though, being at the top of sales results doesn't necessarily lead to more licenses. Someone has to actually want the images.

Aah, those exotic blends: Pasta with blueberry yoghurt sauce for children

pasta-with-blueberry-yoghurt-sauce-for-c

Archived